Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Big one today. Arsenal v. Man City. Man City beat them 1-0 in the EFL cup, but that was before all the financial stuff. Does that make any difference? Arsenal are currently up three, but with a game in hand. Should be a good one. 3:00 EST.
    Heck yea, looking forward to seeing this. This is a biggie!

Sigh….and the wheels are off….$@&!

Arsenal were the better team in the first half, but couldn't respond to the City adjustments in the second half. Sloppy play led to the second and third goals. Gunners have a game in hand still, but City seem the favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    Sigh….and the wheels are off….$@&!
    I don't know. They were fairly dominant in the first half, and they were playing a new DM. I thought they really held their own against the current champions, which is a team that has added notable offensive firepower since last season. They still have that game in hand and a rematch. They control their own destiny. I wouldn't be writing them off just yet.

Marsch to Saints is apparently off. Not sure where either party turns next.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    Marsch to Saints is apparently off. Not sure where either party turns next.
    The Athletic published an article detailing the breakdown of Marsch’s deal with Southampton, which looked like a done deal. It’s paywalled so I won’t link it. The basic gist is Marsch backed out due to concerns over the timing of jumping into a relegation fight less than 2 weeks after being let go from Leeds. Concerns over contract length may also have been a concern.

Today is the soft deadline for bids to buy Man United.

Manchester United takeover: Qataris to bid for club amid interest from USA, Saudi Arabia and Sir Jim Ratcliffe's INEOS

These Qataris have nothing to do with Qatar Sports Investments which owns PSG (wink, wink, nudge, nudge). That would be against the rules because you can't have a majoirty of two clubs. The only difference here is the money would come directly from the royals and not through the sovereign wealth fund that owns QSI. Of course QSI is looking to sell a portion of PSG. That money goes back to the sovereign wealth fund that the royals can claim but I'm sure it's all on the up and up.

There also seems to be an unsolicited bid for Tottenham.

Billionaire Najafi set to launch $3.75bn takeover bid for Spurs

Honestly I'm losing track of all this. Liverpool and Everton are also on the market. The San Francisco 49ers are (were?) going to take over Leeds. The turnover has been ridiculous and I don't like it. The business of football is getting in the way of the fandom of football in the EPL.
    Last edited by Kdogg; 02-17-2023 at 09:22 AM.

Arsenal really needed the win today and got it but man I feel for the Villa keeper. That's just a freak own goal.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1626951486608400386

I get why it's called an own goal ... but it's still a cruel attribution in this specific case.

City drop points to Forest. Big day for the Gunners.

Can't help but relish in Chelsea's misery. How much longer until Potter is gone?

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    Can't help but relish in Chelsea's misery. How much longer until Potter is gone?
    In Chelsea's, yes. But not Azpilicueta's. That did not look good. Apparently he's conscious and speaking in the hospital after, but this is why the PL should have a concussion protocol. I hope he's OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    In Chelsea's, yes. But not Azpilicueta's. That did not look good. Apparently he's conscious and speaking in the hospital after, but this is why the PL should have a concussion protocol. I hope he's OK.
    Yeah, that was nasty (and wholly unintentional AFAIK). Fútbol is a contact sport.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Yeah, that was nasty (and wholly unintentional AFAIK). Fútbol is a contact sport.
    Mara was beside himself about it. I don't think he knew César was even there. I actually think not giving a red was the right decision.

Dear Illan Meslier,

Never ever give up the near post.

You better hope Deschamps didn’t see that, or your dreams of succeeding Hugo Lloris will go up in smoke.

Thanks for the two points.

Very truly yours,

Seamus Coleman

Hoping Everton can pull out some magic tomorrow against Arsenal, or perhaps Bournemouth pulls something out this weekend. Would be huge results for either team to help get out of the relegation zone. Odds are Arsenal walks away with 6 points though. Man U fan here, wishful thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by sciencegeek View Post
    Hoping Everton can pull out some magic tomorrow against Arsenal, or perhaps Bournemouth pulls something out this weekend. Would be huge results for either team to help get out of the relegation zone. Odds are Arsenal walks away with 6 points though. Man U fan here, wishful thinking.
    Hoping for the 6. COYG.

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    Hoping for the 6. COYG.
    Looking good for the 6 points

Quote Originally Posted by sciencegeek View Post
    Looking good for the 6 points
    Half way there.

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    Half way there.
    Smoked Everton! I feel another 3 points tomorrow. I would say good luck, buuuuutttt

Wow! Arsenal v Bournemouth ends with the closest thing to a buzzer beater in football. Arsenal comes back from 0-2 to win 3-2 in the 97th minute. Bournemouth started off with one of the quickest goals I have ever seen - 9 seconds.