Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    I wonder if Northwestern gets in and get a win in the tourney, Chris' name will come up in coaching hires this off season. Unless he is content to coach NW for the rest of his career.

Quote Originally Posted by Hartford Dukie View Post
    HUUUUGGGEEE WIN for Chris Collins and his Northwestern Wildcats as they beat #1 Purdue 64-58. Over the past week, Cats have beaten Wisconsin and OSU on the road and now #1.
    Today's Purdue win was a home game, but the recent successes of Collins and Capel got me wondering...

In-Conference Road Record, 2022-2023 Season

6-1 Jeff Capel, Pittsburgh
    5-2 Chris Collins, Northwestern
    5-2 Bobby Hurley, Arizona State
    2-1 Kenny Blakeney, Howard
    2-4 Johnny Dawkins, UCF
    2-6 Jon Scheyer, Duke
    1-3 Tommy Amaker, Harvard
    0-7 Nate James, Austin Peay

This thread has been tracking former Duke players (and not necessarily former Duke assistant coaches) who are head coaches now, so I'm not sure if Mike Brey should be listed here. He's 0-6 against ACC road opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Today's Purdue win was a home game, but the recent successes of Collins and Capel got me wondering...

2-4 Johnny Dawkins, UCF
    2-6 Jon Scheyer, Duke

This thread has been tracking former Duke players (and not necessarily former Duke assistant coaches) who are head coaches now, so I'm not sure if Mike Brey should be listed here. He's 0-6 against ACC road opponents.
    Thanks, Brev - quite interesting.

What stands out is Collins' record this year in the BIG - 5 road wins, including @Indiana, @MSU, @Wisconsin and @OSU. Remarakable road run this year.

Capel is none too shabby. Panthers have won @State, @UNC, @Syracuse and, speaking of Northwestern, winning big at Northwestern 87-58.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Brey has been and will always be considered part of K's Coaching Tree.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Brey has been and will always be considered part of K's Coaching Tree.
    For the record, I agree, but the Venn Diagram of "Coach K's Coaching Tree As Traditionally Defined" and "What This DBR Thread Has Been All About So Far" is not an identical circle. This thread has chosen to cover Hurley and Blakeney, and until now left out Brey.

...And also Greg Paulus! The head coach of Niagara is 4-3 on the road in the MAAC. Updating:

4-3 Greg Paulus, Niagara
    2-4 Johnny Dawkins, UCF
    2-6 Jon Scheyer, Duke
    0-6 Mike Brey, Notre Dame

Maybe

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I wonder if Northwestern gets in and get a win in the tourney, Chris' name will come up in coaching hires this off season. Unless he is content to coach NW for the rest of his career.
    His record overall hasn't been very impressive, but of course that is in the context of Northwestern basketball. He is from the Chicago area, so maybe he is very content to stay at Northwestern.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    For the record, I agree, but the Venn Diagram of "Coach K's Coaching Tree As Traditionally Defined" and "What This DBR Thread Has Been All About So Far" is not an identical circle. This thread has chosen to cover Hurley and Blakeney, and until now left out Brey.
    I'm not to blame when other people are wrong.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Go Chris Collins and Northwestern! I'm very happy to see Chris have a good year.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    His record overall hasn't been very impressive, but of course that is in the context of Northwestern basketball. He is from the Chicago area, so maybe he is very content to stay at Northwestern.
    In telegraphese (dating myself) --

He makes 1.4M at Northwestern

He could make a lot more if offered at another P-5 program.

Or, NU has a ton of money -- as much as Duke -- and could definitely sweeten the pot.

If let go at Northwestern (which seemed possible a few weeks ago), he could drop down a level, become an assistant in college or the NBA, or change careers.

You know, he's from Chicago and lives in Wilmett, I believe. Unless offered a top 20 program, he will likely choose to stay in Evanston.

Almost blowing a 21 point lead, Northwestern gets a Boo Buie shot with 2 seconds left to beat 14th ranked Indiana 64-62, sweeping the season series. This gets Northwestern to 10 BIG wins, and, with 7 Quad 1 wins, almost assuredly in the tournament. After being picked pre-season 13th in the BIG, Chris Collins' team is now 10-5 in the BIG, alone in second place.

This season is even more remarkable than Northwestern's 2016-17 season, the school's first ever tournament appearance.
    Last edited by Hartford Dukie; 02-15-2023 at 11:19 PM.

Cats are definitely going dancing and Chris Collins is making a very strong argument for one of the most successful Coach K protégés not named Mike Brey. Might be Amaker, Capel, and Collins in that order right now.

Swept Indiana and Wisconsin, beat Sparty and top ranked Purdue. Now just plying for seeding as they are NCAA-bound. At Northwestern. The man deserves a new contract.

There is some chatter, I don't know how real, that ND might be interested in Collins.

There is some chatter, I don't know how real, that ND might be interested in Collins.
    I wonder if ND basketball is even a much higher profile job. I watched post game presser and Chris really seemed happy and proud of what they have accomplished. It seems to me that he can accomplish the same success or more at NW as ND.

As someone who teaches at Northwestern, I can say that this is the first year (even more than 2016-17) that I've had students actually excited and talking about NU basketball. They still don't seem to care about hearing about my Duke days, though..

How fun would it be if both Collins and Capel, two guys we all knew were fighting for their employment lives before the season started, each won their respective conferences COY?

T-Rank

T-Rank has NU at #39 and Pitt at #59. Duke is #40, BTW.

Perhaps, but would Collins be interested in ND? I'm not sure how prominent the ND basketball head coach position is anymore. And the antics of the athletic department [and priestly administration] in South Bend (which appears to have yet again supremely botched another football coaching hire when they paraded Utah OC Ludwig on campus as the likely replacement for the departed Tommy Rees, then decided his buyout was too expensive) certainly shouldn't fill a prospective coach with a whole lot of confidence that you'll receive the appropriate level of support to be successful in your new role.

Good points

Quote Originally Posted by Papa John View Post
    Perhaps, but would Collins be interested in ND? I'm not sure how prominent the ND basketball head coach position is anymore. And the antics of the athletic department [and priestly administration] in South Bend (which appears to have yet again supremely botched another football coaching hire when they paraded Utah OC Ludwig on campus as the likely replacement for the departed Tommy Rees, then decided his buyout was too expensive) certainly shouldn't fill a prospective coach with a whole lot of confidence that you'll receive the appropriate level of support to be successful in your new role.
    You raise good points. Maybe Collins could use Notre Dame's interest to negotiate an extension from Northwestern.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    You raise good points. Maybe Collins could use Notre Dame's interest to negotiate an extension from Northwestern.
    May he can be to Northwestern what K has been to Duke?
    Last edited by Indoor66; 02-16-2023 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Spelling