Page 14 of 30 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Hell yeah, bro. Romeo and Juliet can literally bring tears to my eyes if I’m in a certain mood and setting. It hits you right where you live.
    https://youtu.be/0fiXkvsKpdk

A very worthy cover imo and also a much easier version to play than Mark’s resonator tab

Dire Straits is sooo good. They have several of my absolute favorite songs, including Sultans of Swing, Skateaway, Brothers in Arms, and the truly sublime Romeo and Juliet.
    Mark is my favorite guitarist. Just love the sound.

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    I agree. Very tasteful guitarist. I’ve worn out all the Dire Straights records and Telegraph Road and Six Blade Knife are 2 of my favorites. The last Dire Straits album, “On Every Street” is actually my second favorite from start to finish after their first album. “Fade to Black” and “When it Comes to You” are my favorites of that one.

He really is something, isn’t he? Do yourself a favor and listen closely — and LOUDLY — to Sultans of Swing on a really good system (like Jeffrey’s!), and focus intently on Mark Knopfler’s guitar. It’s absolute perfection.

Talk about swagger and cool 😎, my god.

He really is something, isn’t he? Do yourself a favor and listen closely — and LOUDLY — to Sultans of Swing on a really good system (like Jeffrey’s!), and focus intently on Mark Knopfler’s guitar. It’s absolute perfection.

Steven, thank you for the stereo compliment! Do you like “Wake of the Flood”?

Unfortunately, duke74 also lives too far away or he would have been invited over years ago. We have a lot in common (finance, music, Duke hoops, etc.).

Fun fact:

Rob Reiner wanted Knopfler to do the music for The Princess Bride. Mark said he would do it on one condition — that Rob put the “USS OORAL SEA” Navy hat that Rob wore in Spinal Tap into the movie.

It is hanging on the kid’s wall over the bed. And Mark’s music for the film is sublime.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    Steven, thank you for the stereo compliment! Do you like “Wake of the Flood”?

Unfortunately, duke74 also lives too far away or he would have been invited over years ago. We have a lot in common (finance, music, Duke hoops, etc.).
    Ha! I listened to “Wake of the Flood” twice very early this morning on a direct flight from Durham to Austin. It was quite an interesting time of the day to be doing The Dead. I’m very rarely awake at 4:45 AM.

Anyway, I’ve heard it 5 times thus far and I’m enjoying it quite a bit. I’m liking “Blues for Allah” better, but we’ll see how it goes over time. Thanks again for the recommendations. 😊

If you want to hear exquisite guitar sound, check out the last two Julian Lage albums, “Squint” and “View with a Room.”

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    If you want to hear exquisite guitar sound, check out the last two Julian Lage albums, “Squint” and “View with a Room.”
    Listening to “View With a Room” in my hotel room as I write this.

Chilling out tonight because it’s been a loooong day, and an activity-filled 3-day Austin weekend is coming up. Gotta get ready!

This Julian Lage guitar is sounding real nice. 😊

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post

A very worthy cover imo and also a much easier version to play than Mark’s resonator tab
    Wow, Indigo Girls; hadn’t thought about them in quite awhile.

I had no idea this cover existed. It’s excellent. Thanks for posting.

Listening to “View With a Room” in my hotel room as I write this.

Chilling out tonight because it’s been a loooong day, and an activity-filled 3-day Austin weekend is coming up. Gotta get ready!

This Julian Lage guitar is sounding real nice. 😊
    At Fretboard Summit last summer, Collings had a matched set of Julian Lage signature guitars, the acoustic OM1 JL and the electric 470 JL, in matching sunburst finishes. IIRC, they were asking $14k for the pair. It was soooooo tempting, but I already have a standard OM1 so I passed.

“View with a Room” is my favorite album of 2022. The interplay between Julian and Bill Frisell is just astonishing, and the rhythm section (Jorge Roeder on bass and Dave King on drums) is spot-on.

This is off-topic but I had to share. One of my favorite ice breaker questions is "what was your first concert?" Previously, the best answer I ever heard was a classmate whose first show was AC/DC at Death Valley in Clemson. That's pretty top tier.

However, a coworker of mine has just reset the standard. Here's the flyer of her first show:

US-83-poster-e1590731466937.jpg

Ha! I listened to “Wake of the Flood” twice very early this morning on a direct flight from Durham to Austin. It was quite an interesting time of the day to be doing The Dead. I’m very rarely awake at 4:45 AM.

Anyway, I’ve heard it 5 times thus far and I’m enjoying it quite a bit. I’m liking “Blues for Allah” better, but we’ll see how it goes over time. Thanks again for the recommendations. 😊
    Go to the Texas Chili Parlor. Didn't disappoint. Get the sampler. Ghost pepper chili is HOT, but unbelievable.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Go to the Texas Chili Parlor. Didn't disappoint. Get the sampler. Ghost pepper chili is HOT, but unbelievable.
    When I was in the Texas Senate a bunch of my colleagues and I used to walk over to the Texas Chili Parlor for lunch. It’s so close it’s basically on the Capitol grounds. And on Fridays after work we’d go there for chili and beer or tequila.

I don’t recall getting the sampler. Maybe we’ll go for lunch today and I’ll give it a shot. Ghost Pepper Chili 🌶️ sounds downright frightening, though. I’ll try that one last after I’ve eaten everything else because I don’t want to kill my taste buds until the end. 😉

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post

Wow, Indigo Girls; hadn’t thought about them in quite awhile.

I had no idea this cover existed. It’s excellent. Thanks for posting.
    I was just about to post this cover! I have the Indigo Girls in a "Chill Women" mix on Spotify and this song came up recently. I had to listen a few times, really a great version.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

https://youtu.be/7SXlSjco8J4

When I was in the Texas Senate a bunch of my colleagues and I used to walk over to the Texas Chili Parlor for lunch. It’s so close it’s basically on the Capitol grounds. And on Fridays after work we’d go there for chili and beer or tequila.

I don’t recall getting the sampler. Maybe we’ll go for lunch today and I’ll give it a shot. Ghost Pepper Chili 🌶️ sounds downright frightening, though. I’ll try that one last after I’ve eaten everything else because I don’t want to kill my taste buds until the end. 😉
    That first sentence was a doozy. I am flying down there for a conference in March. Will go back. I am a chili connoisseur, by the way. Really I am a soup/stew fanatic. The ghost pepper is hot. Probably an 8.5 (10 is theoretical, 9.5 is so painful it might as well be lava, 9 is sweat inducing). I don't like to go above 8.5. No real pleasure.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    https://youtu.be/7SXlSjco8J4
    Damn that's a great song. Anytime the inimitable Doc Watson is mentioned, I'm down.

Damn that's a great song. Anytime the inimitable Doc Watson is mentioned, I'm down.
    Especially equating a Doc Watson song with both The David and the Mona Lisa.

And of course, he is correct to do so.

Hell yeah, bro. Romeo and Juliet can literally bring tears to my eyes if I’m in a certain mood and setting. It hits you right where you live.
    Me too. Forget about covers of it. There's no cover that comes close to evoking the feeling that Knopfler does with his guitar sound, the intricacy of his playing, and his voice.