Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    At the midway point of Duke's ACC season, they are 8-1 and tied with Notre Dame at the top, 2 losses clear of the rest of the conference (a majority of the other teams have played 10 games). Still a lot of season left and work to do, but Duke fans should be ecstatic.
    Very ecstatic but now we enter the really hard back end of the schedule, with 5 road games and only one home game against a team that should be a counted on victory (pitt). Massey’s projections would have us going 5-4 vs this gauntlet - which again 13-5 would be something before the season we’d be ecstatic to see, and probably gets you a home start to the ncaa tournament

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    At the midway point of Duke's ACC season, they are 8-1 and tied with Notre Dame at the top, 2 losses clear of the rest of the conference (a majority of the other teams have played 10 games). Still a lot of season left and work to do, but Duke fans should be ecstatic.
    Very, very happy. Of course we have room for improvement, but that's a good thing. I'd rather have a team at the top that can get better than one that is at their ceiling.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    Very ecstatic but now we enter the really hard back end of the schedule, with 5 road games and only one home game against a team that should be a counted on victory (pitt). Massey’s projections would have us going 5-4 vs this gauntlet - which again 13-5 would be something before the season we’d be ecstatic to see, and probably gets you a home start to the ncaa tournament
    Did Massey have us beating NCState, Louisville, and Virginia Tech? I could see us going 5-4, and also 7-2, maybe 8-1. The first would probably still get us an all-important double-bye in the ACC Tournament, the second might get us a share of the regular season championship, the third almost certainly would. Because every other team probably has 2 conference losses left as well. Predictions are worth squat, so many variables, but I'll say 7-2.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Very, very happy. Of course we have room for improvement, but that's a good thing. I'd rather have a team at the top that can get better than one that is at their ceiling.
    Absolutely!
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

Did Massey have us beating NCState, Louisville, and Virginia Tech? I could see us going 5-4, and also 7-2, maybe 8-1. The first would probably still get us an all-important double-bye in the ACC Tournament, the second might get us a share of the regular season championship, the third almost certainly would. Because every other team probably has 2 conference losses left as well. Predictions are worth squat, so many variables, but I'll say 7-2.

Absolutely!
    No, yes and yes to beating those teams, but my 5-4 is based upon their percentage chances of victory not their favored team. So it’s not counting pitt as a win it’s counting it as a 90 percent chance of a win. So it doesn’t really matter whether it predicted more likely than not we would win in either case.

Massey has us as 47 percent to beat FSU- that doesn’t mean it expects us to definitely lose, it means it expects we’re slightly more likely than not to lose - Ala a coin flip. A win doesn’t exactly prove it wrong there, and I do hope we win and think it very possible.

No, yes and yes to beating those teams, but my 5-4 is based upon their percentage chances of victory not their favored team. So it’s not counting pitt as a win it’s counting it as a 90 percent chance of a win. So it doesn’t really matter whether it predicted more likely than not we would win in either case.

Massey has us as 47 percent to beat FSU- that doesn’t mean it expects us to definitely lose, it means it expects we’re slightly more likely than not to lose - Ala a coin flip. A win doesn’t exactly prove it wrong there, and I do hope we win and think it very possible.
    Warren Nolan has Duke going 7-2 and finishing 25-4, with losses to ND and VT on the road. https://www.warrennolan.com/basketba...dule?team=Duke

The closest of the predicted wins is the upcoming FSU game (Duke -3) and then the last 2 games vs NCSU and UNC (both Duke -6).

Notre Dame loses on the road to NCSU, 69-65. So they're still tied with Duke atop the ACC at 8-2. It takes a little bit of the sting away from Duke's resounding loss to FSU in Tallahassee. FSU is now 1/2 game back at 8-3.

Clemson has cut a 19-point deficit to four vs. cheats.

Duke fans really need to appreciate how lucky we are to have Kara Lawson.

Not just the return to relevancy. Watch/read the post game comments of Kara after yesterday's loss, and then the VT coach's comments after their loss to us three days earlier. One of FSU's players got to the line 15 times (!), and Kara didn't whine once about the officiating. She said it was a testament to that player's work in the game. Meanwhile the VT coach whined a lot about the officiating in our game.

I know who I'd much rather have leading our ladies.
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

Duke fans really need to appreciate how lucky we are to have Kara Lawson.

Not just the return to relevancy. Watch/read the post game comments of Kara after yesterday's loss, and then the VT coach's comments after their loss to us three days earlier. One of FSU's players got to the line 15 times (!), and Kara didn't whine once about the officiating. She said it was a testament to that player's work in the game. Meanwhile the VT coach whined a lot about the officiating in our game.

I know who I'd much rather have leading our ladies.
    If Kara complained about fouls after we shot that bad, it would’ve been laughable.

If Kara complained about fouls after we shot that bad, it would’ve been laughable.
    Yeah, you're right. One coach is as good as another. And she can't make her players make baskets. She should be in solo 1st place in the ACC. Duke is only #8 in the NET, should be higher. Time to get rid of her.

Yeah, you're right. One coach is as good as another. And she can't make her players make baskets. She should be in solo 1st place in the ACC. Duke is only #8 in the NET, should be higher. Time to get rid of her.
    Chill man. Seriously how did you get a complaint about Kara from my post. (Tho she can’t make players make baskets all the time, Otherwise Kennedy brown would be much much different lol)

Chill man. Seriously how did you get a complaint about Kara from my post. (Tho she can’t make players make baskets all the time, Otherwise Kennedy brown would be much much different lol)
    Well, I make a positive post and there is not an ounce of positivity in your response. You know Stanford has 2 of the top-10 players in the country, right? Jones is the consensus #3 pick in this years draft, Brink consensus #3 next year. Two weeks ago never-ranked USC held them to 30% shooting and 46 points. Bad games happen to the best of teams. Duke, who got 2 lousy points in the preseason AP poll (none in the coaches, although 52 other teams did) is 18-3 and sitting atop the ACC. There's not a single person, here or anywhere else, who expected this season. Enjoy it.

Despite yesterday's loss to FSU, Duke stays at #8 in the NET and #16 in the AP Poll.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    Despite yesterday's loss to FSU, Duke stays at #8 in the NET and #16 in the AP Poll.
    Fair result. UNC to 11 state jumped us to back to 15. The ACC is very good and duke is up there. Now just take care of business vs pitt before we resume the tough gauntlet

Well, I make a positive post and there is not an ounce of positivity in your response. You know Stanford has 2 of the top-10 players in the country, right? Jones is the consensus #3 pick in this years draft, Brink consensus #3 next year. Two weeks ago never-ranked USC held them to 30% shooting and 46 points. Bad games happen to the best of teams. Duke, who got 2 lousy points in the preseason AP poll (none in the coaches, although 52 other teams did) is 18-3 and sitting atop the ACC. There's not a single person, here or anywhere else, who expected this season. Enjoy it.
    Yes, but you seem to take it personal when anyone says anything negative, even as constructive criticism or even as sarcasm. Who appointed you as the caretaker of this thread? Can't you just let the discussion go in its inevitable ups and downs and not jump on people whenever you happen to get triggered?

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    Yes, but you seem to take it personal when anyone says anything negative, even as constructive criticism or even as sarcasm. Who appointed you as the caretaker of this thread? Can't you just let the discussion go in its inevitable ups and downs and not jump on people whenever you happen to get triggered?
    Well, when somebody responds directly to my post with snark (you said it), I think maybe I'm allowed to get "triggered". Bring the snark, just don't quote my post.

And when I start seeing "constructive criticism" around here, I'll zip my lip. Most of it is just b****in' about an overachieving team.

Yowsers! Duke got a commitment from Yale graduate transfer Camilla Emsbo. She's a 6-5 center to pair with 6-6 Kennedy. She's sitting out this season because she tore her ACL in October, but as a junior she averaged 14 points, 10 rebounds, and 2 blocks. She was unanimous all-Ivy and apparently was the favorite to be Ivy Player of the Year before her injury.

Welcome!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Yowsers! Duke got a commitment from Yale graduate transfer Camilla Emsbo. She's a 6-5 center to pair with 6-6 Kennedy. She's sitting out this season because she tore her ACL in October, but as a junior she averaged 14 points, 10 rebounds, and 2 blocks. She was unanimous all-Ivy and apparently was the favorite to be Ivy Player of the Year before her injury.

Welcome!
    Excellent! And if she was averaging 14 points, that means her shots go in.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Excellent! And if she was averaging 14 points, that means her shots go in.
    51.4 percent from the field in 2021-22.

In the latest bracketology, Duke remains a 3 seed, but has moved to Stanford’s section of the draw.