Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415
    Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    To me there are so many better ways to talk about an upcoming game than “hope we don't do something bad.” Seems pessimistic at heart. But maybe it's just me.
    Yeah, I think we can all agree that it's a game we really should and "need" to win. Framing it in a negative light "opportunity for a bad loss" or "chance for a bad win" is putting an unnecessary spin on a concept that we all otherwise probably agree on.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Yeah, I think we can all agree that it's a game we really should and "need" to win. Framing it in a negative light "opportunity for a bad loss" or "chance for a bad win" is putting an unnecessary spin on a concept that we all otherwise probably agree on.
    Realizing that I've developed somewhat of a reputation, and something that I vow I will work on, my intent was sincerely not intended to be negative or pessimistic. But I can see how it was construed that way.

I'll reword my statement and just say, seeing as this is a Q3 game, it's a game we need to win for multiple reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by bshrader View Post
    Realizing that I've developed somewhat of a reputation, and something that I vow I will work on, my intent was sincerely not intended to be negative or pessimistic. But I can see how it was construed that way.

I'll reword my statement and just say, seeing as this is a Q3 game, it's a game we need to win for multiple reasons.
    To your credit, you realize the issue and are working on it. That's a bigger step than some who have come to DBR.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    To your credit, you realize the issue and are working on it. That's a bigger step than some who have come to DBR.
    As Scott and others mentioned before the season, we had to expect there to be a transition period with inevitable growing pains as Jon learns on the job.

Perhaps we've just been so engrained with winning that anything else is just hard to fathom.

Jon has actually done a tremendous job of growing already, exemplified by the adjustments he made Monday night in the second half.

When you're so emotionally invested in something, its difficult not be frustrated when things don't go exactly your way. But some self-control is always necessary.

And with that recognition comes sporks. Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    And with that recognition comes sporks. Agreed.
    Ha! Just realized I got my second spork back!! 🤣

Ha! Just realized I got my second spork back!! 🤣
    We are all on our own paths.

As Scott and others mentioned before the season, we had to expect there to be a transition period with inevitable growing pains as Jon learns on the job.

Perhaps we've just been so engrained with winning that anything else is just hard to fathom.

Jon has actually done a tremendous job of growing already, exemplified by the adjustments he made Monday night in the second half.

When you're so emotionally invested in something, its difficult not be frustrated when things don't go exactly your way. But some self-control is always necessary.
    Speaking only from my own experience, having a kid (and a second on the way) coupled with FIFA World Cup burn out in November/December has made me the least invested I've been into Duke basketball.

Which is why I continue posting on this forum...
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Your final statement recognizes reality without being pessimistic in the least. I like it!

Allow me to ditto on the positive responses to bshrader’s introspective posts. Well done and shouldn’t go unacknowledged!

Allow me to ditto on the positive responses to bshrader’s introspective posts. Well done and shouldn’t go unacknowledged!
    Well I'm digging the positive reinforcement!

It's more fun than the beatings and floggings.

When people can't apologize or say they're wrong I always think:"Damn. Ain't none of y'all ever been married?"

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    It's more fun than the beatings and floggings.
    the beatings will continue until morale improves!!!

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Except that the forum moderators specifically ask us NOT to use these boards as an outlet for frustration. So while it is true that some folks are using the boards in this way, that is an inappropriate use of the boards.

And to be clear, nobody here is happy with the losses. Even the sunshiniest of posters (probably scottdude? ) would rather be posting sunshiny posts after a win rather than after a loss.
    Definitely scottdude. And that's a good thing. Dealing with losses for a program you love is tough.

Now, do I think scottdude is waaaaay too optimistic? Of course. Should he change? Absolutely not.

I wasn't that mad about the game. I was furious about the throat punch. I have never seen such a horrible foul not be called anything. But that's a different topic that I don't wanna get into...
    Just now seeing this… and while I’m happy to fill this role on the board, just know it’s a conscious effort. I am NOT that sunshiny in my own head after a loss. Ask my wife the number of times she jumped as I screamed at the TV Monday night
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    When people can't apologize or say they're wrong I always think:"Damn. Ain't none of y'all ever been married?"
    I think, "Damn, you must work for uNC."

Quote Originally Posted by JetpackJesus View Post
    I think, "Damn, you must work for uNC."
    Ha! I graduated from UNC. But don't work there.

I tried to spork but "must spread" comment came up.

Here's a
    GoDuke instead.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    How about being married and a basketball coach's son! Talk about a double whammy!

DBR's version of the Prodigal Son

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    I tried to spork but "must spread" comment came up.

Here's a
    GoDuke instead.
    Reading bshrader's honest and humble introspection, and our DBR community's gracious acceptance, remind me of the story of the Prodigal Son [from the Gospel of Luke]. A man's younger son squanders his inheritance and returns penniless to his father, asking to be accepted as a servant. No way -- in true DBR spirit, the father welcomes his son, forgives his past transgressions and puts on a celebratory feast in his son's honor.

Now, bshrader, I just hope that sporks will suffice in lieu of a celebratory feast!

In seriousness, I applaud our supporting our growth and authenticity, rather than our egos.

Go Duke!
    “I love it. Coach, when we came here, we had a three-hour meeting about the core values. If you really represent the core values, it means diving on the floor, sacrificing your body for your teammates, no matter how much you’re up by or how much you’re down by, always playing hard.” -- Zion