Thread: Flop Rule

Flop Rule

This thread is not to discuss the validity of the call last night. It's also not to discuss whether there needs to be contact for it to be a flop (Cory Alexander might be annoying, but I do appreciate him being so pro-Duke).

Here is my question: Am I right that the flop call last night resulted in 1 free throw for VT, then WE got the ball? That seems crazy to me that the team who committed the flop would get possession after 1 free throw attempt, or did I just misremember things last night? If I'm up 2 or 3 points on the last possession, forget fouling! Just have your guys do dramatic flops all over the place, give them 1 free throw, and get the ball back.

Quote Originally Posted by Southgate0809 View Post
    This thread is not to discuss the validity of the call last night. It's also not to discuss whether there needs to be contact for it to be a flop (Cory Alexander might be annoying, but I do appreciate him being so pro-Duke).

Here is my question: Am I right that the flop call last night resulted in 1 free throw for VT, then WE got the ball? That seems crazy to me that the team who committed the flop would get possession after 1 free throw attempt, or did I just misremember things last night? If I'm up 2 or 3 points on the last possession, forget fouling! Just have your guys do dramatic flops all over the place, give them 1 free throw, and get the ball back.
    Yes that's correct. The "flop rule" results in a one-shot technical and is a point of interruption play, so the resumption of play is wherever it was when play was stopped.

Quote Originally Posted by bshrader View Post
    Yes that's correct. The "flop rule" results in a one-shot technical and is a point of interruption play, so the resumption of play is wherever it was when play was stopped.
    So shouldn't VT have kept the ball since the flop was called while one of their players was driving?

So shouldn't VT have kept the ball since the flop was called while one of their players was driving?
    I could be completely wrong, but I thought it was called after we had grabbed the rebound?

I had the same question and discussion. It actually benefitted Duke +1 point because the flop disrupted the offense with a whistle right when it happened, so play stopped, then Duke scored a deuce on the next possession. So advantage Duke. This rule is at best wonky and splitting hairs. Either you are committing an unsportsmanlike play and it should benefit the offense or it’s a charge. It’s a lot like not calling a punch to the throat which if in the act of so called celebrating is okay. It’s a judgment call by the ref to determine what the player was thinking, which is untenable. Overall, weird rule — pretty soon refs will have red and yellow cards.

It's my understanding that officials will allow all offensive play to continue and withhold the whistle until after the play is finished or all scoring opportunities have ended.

It's my understanding that officials will allow all offensive play to continue and withhold the whistle until after the play is finished or all scoring opportunities have ended.
    Ah that makes sense, so the play wasn't stopped when Roach fell down. We regained possession, and then they blew the whistle. Ok, problem solved.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Ah that makes sense, so the play wasn't stopped when Roach fell down. We regained possession, and then they blew the whistle. Ok, problem solved.
    That's going to look really bad one day when the flop happens at the beginning of the possession and the play ends with a shot-clock buzzer beater.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

That’s the new rule, 1 free throw and possession to the team that has the call

The rule is wait till the possession is over then you whistle the flop Tech call.

So is a breakaway steal considered a “scoring opportunity?”

Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    So is a breakaway steal considered a “scoring opportunity?”
    I believe its once the possession has ended for the team in control of the ball, then the officials will signal a flop call and award one FT to the offended team. But they hold the whistle as to not take a scoring opportunity away from the offended team.

Great point but sadly withholding and continuation becoming too much like soccer aka football. Roach should have rolled on the floor holding his faux injured ankle screaming in agony. Slippery slope. Here comes the red cards

While I obviously though the flopping call was BS, I do appreciate that they waited for the play to conclude, as the flopping offense (by definition) does not impact the player's attempt to score. Obviously, the professional analysts paid to comment on the game were unfamiliar with the rule and how it was applied, though that did not stop them from being very opinionated and confident on the topic.

I actually didn't have any problem with the call. Upon reading the rule, it does look like you can call a flop technical even if there is contact. It's pretty much just a judgment call y by the refs as to if they thought the player exaggerated or embellished in attempt to gain an advantage. It was hard to tell on the replay because there was another player in the way of the shot, but it looked like there wasn't any significant upper body contact between Roach and the other player. My bigger gripe is that the rule isn't enforced consistently. They seemed to make a big emphasis with it the first couple games of the season, then the flops seemed to return in full force.