Page 39 of 68 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast
    yeah, just remember how those blacksmiths and horse breeders suffered when ICE vehicles emerged...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Ha, the only state with fewer people than Vermont...who will notice?
    EV drivers traversing the state on I-80 and/or I-25 will notice, because the WY Legislature’s clearly expressed hostility toward EVs will likely result in few new charging stations being installed in a state that desperately needs them.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    EV drivers traversing the state on I-80 and/or I-25 will notice, because the WY Legislature’s clearly expressed hostility toward EVs will likely result in few new charging stations being installed in a state that desperately needs them.
    yeah, even without knowing about that initiative, I would have been VERY worried about finding a charging station in Wyoming...for whose benefit would it be? Certainly not the locals...

Musk have a little of that Theranos energy?

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/t...155150305.html

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Musk have a little of that Theranos energy?

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/t...155150305.html
    If that's true, it's got "class action lawsuit" written all over it.

They should put a Tesla sales kiost in every Walgreens.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    If that's true, it's got "class action lawsuit" written all over it.
    A series of personal injury lawsuits are set to go to trial in the next few months. Tesla has taken a hard line and refused to settle thus ignoring the rule all good lawyers know, settle your bad cases and try your good ones. From my perspective Tesla’s self driving claims make all these lawsuits bad for Tesla. Full acknowledgement, for years I wanted a Tesla but didn’t buy one because I lived in a rural area at least 150 miles from any metropolitan area. Lately I have soured on Elon and have ordered a Cadillac Lyriq. I have been amazed at the double standard applied to Tesla. Can you imagine Ford or General Motors selling “full self driving system” that didn’t work. The media and trial lawyers would have crucified them. Perhaps Tesla’s pass has just about expired.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Wyoming has proposed banning EVs. I wonder how Elon feels about this.

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-w...cle-sales/amp/
    Politician who proposed the bill is now walking it back. There will be no problem buying EVs in Wyoming or anywhere else:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/clima...les-cars-2035/

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Politician who proposed the bill is now walking it back. There will be no problem buying EVs in Wyoming or anywhere else:

The power of timely lobbying. Of course he didn't mean to ban EVs. He was just having a moment.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post

I think he meant to publish his bill to the Babylon Bee and accidentally introduced it into the State Senate. I know, it happens to us all, doesn't it?

Seriously, I think it was meant to poke fun at other states, but it was rather poorly done.

Learned last night that DoS is scrambling to deal with a shipping issue with EVs. Lots of insurers are refusing to cover shipments that include lithium batteries. They are all fine with first time shipments of them, but not with shipping used ones - so people who buy an EV at post cant bring it home and people who buy one at home cant bring it to post. Not all shippers are saying no, but it is limiting who we contract with and the worry is that it will become industry standard.

I know that this is a niche problem, but it is a huge deal to anyone who moves for internationally work and wants to own an EV.

There are other issues with using a US EV in Europe like charging station compatibility but you can buy a converter to overcome that for not too much money...

Tesla goes up in flames

Quote Originally Posted by niveklaen View Post
    Lots of insurers are refusing to cover shipments that include lithium batteries.
    Maybe this is one reason why:

https://www.boston.com/news/local-ne...AUDID=30497234

First responders spotted a Tesla electric vehicle wedged against a guardrail in the right breakdown lane. As crews attempted to clear the car from the roadway, the guardrail pierced its undercarriage, causing the lithium-ion batteries to go into a thermal runaway, according to the statement. Fire officials said the vehicle then became “fully involved in fire.”
    According to the article, it took 20,000 gallons of water to extinguish the fire.

Tesla was out with earnings yesterday after the bell, better than what Wall Street was expecting. Tesla stock up over 10% on the day and 57% from its early January low.

Insurance companies don't like Teslas

https://www.autoblog.com/2023/01/27/...-damaged-cars/

I wonder what premium insurance companies are demanding for collision coverage on Teslas, given this..

Random data point but I was speaking with a friend yesterday who has owned Teslas since 2014 and loves them. She convinced her husband, who was adamant about getting another, to look at the Lucid Air. It was so good that they bought it and now love it more than Tesla. Obviously Lucid is behind in having vehicles at low cost points but I think the competitive environment is about to become a big obstacle for Tesla.

Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    Random data point but I was speaking with a friend yesterday who has owned Teslas since 2014 and loves them. She convinced her husband, who was adamant about getting another, to look at the Lucid Air. It was so good that they bought it and now love it more than Tesla. Obviously Lucid is behind in having vehicles at low cost points but I think the competitive environment is about to become a big obstacle for Tesla.
    Uh, that's a bit of an understatement ... The base model starts around $90k. Car and Driver recommends the Touring model, which starts at $110k. Prices go up from there with the Grand Touring Performance @$180k and Sapphire at a quarter mil.

So, yeah, not quite "low cost points" ...

But for someone considering a Tesla Model S or Lucid Air, it's a valid comparison. Lucid is the first automaker to get to 400 miles on a charge, I believe, and the performance is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Uh, that's a bit of an understatement ... The base model starts around $90k. Car and Driver recommends the Touring model, which starts at $110k. Prices go up from there with the Grand Touring Performance @$180k and Sapphire at a quarter mil.

So, yeah, not quite "low cost points" ...

But for someone considering a Tesla Model S or Lucid Air, it's a valid comparison. Lucid is the first automaker to get to 400 miles on a charge, I believe, and the performance is ridiculous.
    Yeah but I think Lucid will get there in a couple of years and of course the big boys are already much closer or already there on price- not sure on quality.

Yeah but I think Lucid will get there in a couple of years and of course the big boys are already much closer or already there on price- not sure on quality.
    You think Lucid will make a relatively low price model in a couple years? I don't think that's part of their strategy, but I'll admit, I don't know for sure. They're going for the super luxury/performance market it seems.

Seems like the EV "low price" players in the short-term are likely: GM, Ford, Hyundai, Kia.

But I guess if you call sub $50k "low cost", MAYBE a couple others could squeeze in there, but not many. Model 3 is around $44k starting.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    You think Lucid will make a relatively low price model in a couple years? I don't think that's part of their strategy, but I'll admit, I don't know for sure. They're going for the super luxury/performance market it seems.

Seems like the EV "low price" players in the short-term are likely: GM, Ford, Hyundai, Kia.

But I guess if you call sub $50k "low cost", MAYBE a couple others could squeeze in there, but not many. Model 3 is around $44k starting.
    You might be right about Lucid not getting down to Model 3 level, but maybe more like $70s-80s where BMW/Mercedes niche will be. This is not based upon research just the fact that Lucid is trying for the 500 mile battery, which to me says a larger market target than supercars.

You might be right about Lucid not getting down to Model 3 level, but maybe more like $70s-80s where BMW/Mercedes niche will be. This is not based upon research just the fact that Lucid is trying for the 500 mile battery, which to me says a larger market target than supercars.
    Yep, could be around the BMW/Mercedes market range. Seems like when they build "from the ground up" EVs, the prices are very high. But when they retrofit batteries into previous ICE models the price is more reasonable -- like the Mercedes EQB starts around $55k, even though it underwhelms in electrical specs. It's meant for the person that wants a car similar to what they're used to in the luxury ICE market, but simply wants an electric version. The equivalent GLB is around $40k, though, so you're still paying a hefty premium for the electrified version. The "EVs built from the ground up" EQS is $125k and the BMW ix is $85k.