Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTrain View Post
    David Shaw resigns at Stanford
    Nothing like an immediate reminder that Duke needs to reward the new coaching staff and recognize the importance of retention.

They are not looking this way

The early list from my Stanford sources is:
    Chris Petersen
    Dan Quinn
    Greg Roman
    Troy Taylor; and
    Troy Walters

Quote Originally Posted by HoKogan View Post
    This sounds like it will be a disaster for Charlotte. .
    Not necessarily. Coastal Carolina's program was built from scratch this way...and IIRC....the guy who brought Fla Gulf Coast BB into relevance (now at USC) was kind of the same thing. Lot of advantages mentally and emotionally when you want the job but "don't need the job." Lot of success principles are the same too.

David Shaw resigns at Stanford
    I was surprised that he is only 50. Seems like he has been around forever. He was constantly being mentioned for NFL jobs. Are Stanford and its wealthy alums going to decide to commit to football or not? It is an interesting time and I'm sure coaching candidates are asking lots of questions.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I was surprised that he is only 50. Seems like he has been around forever. He was constantly being mentioned for NFL jobs. Are Stanford and its wealthy alums going to decide to commit to football or not? It is an interesting time and I'm sure coaching candidates are asking lots of questions.
    David Shaw had great results his first eight years: 82-26, with five final AP rankings in the top 12 and three PAC-12 championships.

Then, as widely cited, he went 14-28 the next four years (10-26 if omitting the partial 2020 season).

I am not sure if he hit the wall as a coach, like Cut the last three seasons, or there were other institional factors resulting in a de-emphasis of football.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I'd say Stanford is pretty solidly committed to football already. All their scholarships are endowed, and per this article Shaw is roughly the ninth highest paid coach in the country at $9 million/yr. He had great results and then he didn't.

Great article about the situation on The Athletic

The one similarity to Cut was his refusal to fire coaches who were not getting it done. The program is a mess right now. He inherited a great situation from Harbs and then squandered it.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I'd say Stanford is pretty solidly committed to football already. All their scholarships are endowed, and per this article Shaw is roughly the ninth highest paid coach in the country at $9 million/yr. He had great results and then he didn't.
    From what I have read, Stanford is really weak in the NIL department. Will their rich alumni base and other supporters step up and get involved in the NIL game? That is the question. If yes, then Stanford can be an excellent job for the right coach. If not, then you will continue to get the kind of results that Shaw had in the last several years.

Great article about the situation on The Athletic

The one similarity to Cut was his refusal to fire coaches who were not getting it done. The program is a mess right now. He inherited a great situation from Harbs and then squandered it.
    Lol that’s an hilarious dismissal of Shaw’s career. He was there 12 years he won 2 Rose Bowls! Harbaugh was there what 4 seasons? The man’s the winningest coach in the history of the program for gods sake.

Last visit to the Rose Bowl was after the 2015 season
    He started off with Andrew Luck
    The football alumni there (and I am friends with 2 prominent football alums) and major donors wanted him gone….the program has fallen off a cliff

Last visit to the Rose Bowl was after the 2015 season
    He started off with Andrew Luck
    The football alumni there (and I am friends with 2 prominent football alums) and major donors wanted him gone….the program has fallen off a cliff
    I guess maybe but the bottom of that canyon is kinda where they tend to reside. It’s Stanford. Of the 4 Rose Bowls that the Stanford Cardinal (not Stanford Indians) have gone to David Shaw was the head coach for 3 of them. Without looking it up I think they changed their nickname sometime in the 70’s.

There's nothing dismissive about facts. Jim Harbaugh took over a Stanford team that was 1-11 and four years later had them at 12-1. Shaw took over that team and kept up the momentum, going 34-7 the next three years. Which would keep the recruiting pipeline flowing. Then he went 8-5 which hurt, rose again to 12-2 in 2015, but it's been downhill since then. Recruiting-and-winning are chicken-and-egg, but once the bloom is off the rose it is hard to get it back.

Not a business I would want to be in...unless I had the wisdom to invest well from the good years and be able to walk away.

It will be interesting to see Elko's trajectory. He can have a long, relatively happy, well-compensated career at Duke, but he may want to chase better chances at glory. I say relatively happy, because Duke fans can turn on a previously successful football coach, they just tend to be slower about it.
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

Possible that the uncertainly of the PAC-X post USC UCLA leaving probably has something to do with it. I've heard that the B1G is considering inviting Stanford Cal Oregon and Washington but who knows if thats going to happen. The remnants will probably become the new big 12

Trent Dilfer to UAB, I saw on Twitter.

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    Trent Dilfer to UAB, I saw on Twitter.
    Wasn’t he one of the guys in Squeeze?

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    No, Nine Inch Nails

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    If he leaves for a bigger job he was clearly tempted by the fruit of another.

Does he have coaching experience? I know he did analysis for ESPN after his pro career ended, but like with Jeff Saturday and herm Edwards, I don't know how that is supposed to translate to coaching success.

I've heard GT is looking to either hire Willie Fritz or stick with Brent Key. Its a hard situation. I think Key can coach, but thats just a fraction of the overall job. Fritz is old and like Collins before him, has success at the GOF level, which may not translate to a power 5.

If you want to feel slimy is disgusted, you can read about Hugh Freeze since his hire to Auburn. I knew about some of the stuff at Ole Miss but not all. Supposedly he's still been something of a creep at Liberty as well.

The fly in the coaching carousel ointment is that despite everyone getting lured in for eight or nine million bucks per year, math says everyone can't go 10-2 every year, but that seems to be the demand at a lot of high profile schools.

Quote Originally Posted by HoKogan View Post
    If he leaves for a bigger job he was clearly tempted by the fruit of another.
    This is quality.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    The fly in the coaching carousel ointment is that despite everyone getting lured in for eight or nine million bucks per year, math says everyone can't go 10-2 every year, but that seems to be the demand at a lot of high profile schools.
    This is why I think a mid tier p5 job like Duke or Wake or UVA isn't as bad as some say. Those fans have expectations sure, but there is going to be an understanding that your on field results can vary to a wide variety of factors that you can't always control. Disappointment is always relative to expectations, and I'm sure there are Wake fans who are disappointed they finished 7-5. Are they going to want Clawson fired though? I doubt it. It really depends on what the coach and where he wants to take his career and what he wants to do with the program.