Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Tracking the coaching family tree 2022-23

Time for our annual thread looking at how some Dukies who coach at other schools are doing.

And my impetus for starting it now is a fabulous couple days for Bobby Hurley and Arizona State. They beat a pretty good VCU team on Wednesday, which earned them the right to play a very good Michigan team on Thursday for the championship of the Legends Classic. The game wasn't even close. Hurley's boys won 87-62. This one was all but over at halftime as the Sun Devils led by 18. ASU is now 4-1 on the season, with those two nice wins and a head-scratching loss to Texas Southern in OT. Still, in a woeful Pac12, Bobby might have a team that can contend.

Tommy Amaker is 3-1 at Harvard. They have not played anyone of note and lost to a poor Louisiana team (not LSU). The expectation is that they will be middle of the pack in the Ivy with Princeton and Yale likely vying to that league's auto bid.

As discussed in the This Week in the ACC thread, Capel's Pitt club is 1-3 and Jeff may be in trouble come season end.

Johnny down at UCF started the year with a bad loss to UNC-Asheville, but bounced back to beat Florida State in their next game. They play a very challenging non-conference slate with Okie State (tonight), Miami, Miss St, Missouri, and Kansas still to come. The AAC is ruled by Houston, but the Knights certainly have a chance to rise up and make waves.

Kenny Blakeney at Howard has had a rough start to the season. They are 2-3 and their 2 wins are against non-D1 opponents. Ouch...
    Last edited by JasonEvans; 11-18-2022 at 12:16 PM.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Collins at NU

Chris Collins is on the hot seat at NU. The Wildcats are 3-0, with the most impressive win coming in DC over Georgetown. Georgetown, however, isn't the power it used to be, ranked #178. NU looks very weak inside (could really use Ryan Young and Pete Nance).

I believe this is the last year of Collins' contract, and he's working under a new AD, so he is pretty well sprouting duck feathers.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Capel's Pitt club is 1-3 and Jeff may be in trouble come season end.
    If he lasts that long.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    If he lasts that long.
    Capel's buyout was $15 million after last year but $5 million after this year - the buyout likely helped save him for this year but is more manageable now - not sure what happens if he goes mid-season but I'm hoping that is not in play.

https://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2022...-fifth-season/

Nate James and Austin Peay lost their first two games against Purdue and NC State, but have some more winnable games up next. Following his trend from last season, Chris Carrawell's son Caleb is the second leading scorer on the team right now.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Chris Collins is on the hot seat at NU. The Wildcats are 3-0, with the most impressive win coming in DC over Georgetown. Georgetown, however, isn't the power it used to be, ranked #178. NU looks very weak inside (could really use Ryan Young and Pete Nance).

I believe this is the last year of Collins' contract, and he's working under a new AD, so he is pretty well sprouting duck feathers.
    I'm pretty sure Collins contract is through 24-25. Not saying he can't get axed before that though. He got a new contract after the 2017 NCAA appearance year for north of $3M a year.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post

yeah, I think Georgetown recently broke a 21 game losing streak, so beating them means little.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    yeah, I think Georgetown recently broke a 21 game losing streak, so beating them means little.

Speaking of the Northwestern vs. Georgetown contest, this 30-second sequence has become a "viral moment" of sorts on the internet. It's really quite amusing:

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/202...es-viral-video

Quote Originally Posted by AllenBuilding View Post
    Speaking of the Northwestern vs. Georgetown contest, this 30-second sequence has become a "viral moment" of sorts on the internet. It's really quite amusing:

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/202...es-viral-video
    Holy !#@^@^&!%, that is hysterically bad!
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

As a 40-year Georgetown fan and donor, and 17-year season ticket holder, I have to say that all of the above is very true. I watch almost every Hoya game (and every Duke game; it's a busy time of year), so I've seen this train wreck up close and in slow motion. Patrick Ewing is a historically great player and historically awful coach.

It's time to cut ties completely with the John Thompson, Jr. legacy and start completely over, but that seems a bitter pill for a nostalgic university administration to swallow. In the meantime, Go Duke!

Bobby Hurley's guys - down 15 at the half and minus two key pieces - rallied with a dagger three with 2.6 seconds left to defeat Colorado 60-59. ASU is now 7-1 and with a victory over Stanford Sunday coud be ranked next week.

https://twitter.com/AZSportsDevils/s...er-colorado%2F
    Last edited by Hartford Dukie; 12-02-2022 at 10:19 AM.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Hartford Dukie View Post
    Bobby Hurley's guys - down 15 at the half and minus two key pieces - rallied with a dagger three with 2.6 seconds left to defeat Colorado 60-59. ASU is now 7-1 and with a victory over Stanford Sunday coud be ranked next week.

https://twitter.com/AZSportsDevils/s...er-colorado%2F
    Oooh, that's fun! Glad to see he's doing so well.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

And he's dealing with a very public dust-up with his player, Marcus Bagley, Marvin's younger brother.
    https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...urley-incident

Every win is huge because it seems as if he's coaching for his job this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    And he's dealing with a very public dust-up with his player, Marcus Bagley, Marvin's younger brother.
    https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...urley-incident

Every win is huge because it seems as if he's coaching for his job this year.
    Yeah I'm doubting Marcus Bagley ever suits up again for ASU after all this.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    It seems that Hurley learned how to build a solid doghouse from a master carpenter.

It seems that Hurley learned how to build a solid doghouse from a master carpenter.
    I'm sure Coach K did similar things in his career, but the genius of Coach K was his ability to adapt with the times (unlike his mentor, Bob Knight) and always has respect from his players. (Not saying that every player ever was totally happy with everything that happened in the program -- of course, there are transfers and the like, but you very rarely heard any public discontent.) Hopefully, Hurley is able to constantly evolve. Of course, I don't know the whole story here, so I'm trying to not pass judgment either way.

Even more fun for Bobby is that he is coaching his son...check out #11 on the ASU roster...

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba.../roster/_/id/9

Jeff Capel and Pitt have had a hell of a week (of course, the/they need a number of them). Two big road wins which in the past have been hard to come by.
    First, they blew out Northwestern with an almost perfect 50 point second half, 87-58. Tonight, as 8.5 dogs, they went in to PNC and never trailed in the second half, beating State 68-60. Jamarius Burton was impressive with 24 points.
    Last edited by Hartford Dukie; 12-02-2022 at 09:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hartford Dukie View Post
    Jeff Capel and Pitt have had a hell of a week (of course, the/they need a number of them). Two big road wins which in the past have been hard to come by.
    First, they blew out Northwestern with an almost perfect 50 point second half, 87-58. Tonight, as 8.5 dogs, they went in to PNC and never trailed in the second half, beating State 68-60. Jamarius Burton was impressive with 24 points.
    After starting 1-3 (no bad losses, WVa, Mich, and VCU) Pitt has won 5 in a row including a pair of nice Quad A road wins. Given the state of the middle/bottom of the ACC, it would not be at all shocking for Pitt to find more wins than anyone expected and perhaps even be a bubble contender. I'm not saying it is likely, but it certainly could happen.

If Pitt finds their way into the top half of the conference, I think Capel will keep his job. He has a pretty decent recruiting class lined up with 2 4-star and a 3-star recruit already signed for 2023.