Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I don't think raw viewers have increased that much. It's just that all the checks are massively larger across the board. My understanding is that it's all about how much money Direct TV or Spectrum (whoever) pays to get BigTen/ACC/SEC games, and then how much the viewer pays to get these packages.

I mean, sure, viewers may have increased, but it seems unlikely that "increased viewers" would explain a ten-fold increase in $$$.
    My initial point being that this huge increase in annual payouts is making it a LOT easier for schools to kick coaches to the curb, despite owing them big settlements.

Perfect example: Paul Chryst was a widely admired head coach...he went 67-26 at Wisconsin, including 43-18 in the Big 10, but he started this year at 2-3 so they canned him, with a $16 million payout. What the heck, we lose some games, let's can the coach, we've got plenty of money!

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    That says a lot about just how bad last year’s loss to Charlotte was.
    May have been a good thing in the long run. Win that game and Duke is 4-8 and had they held on vs GT they could be 5-7 and Cutcliffe probably doesn't get fired. I think the Charlotte loss was the signal to Ms King to think about the future. And thats still considering the dropped TD and the secondary's complete inability to guard anyone at all.

I never wanted Healey at all, but I remember reading that he would have been a great candidate for Duke should they move on from Cutcliffe. I just never saw it, they still finished 5-7 and the loss said more about Duke than it did about Charlotte being an up and coming team.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...nt-fox-cbs-nbc

It's a bit more than that, as the linked article shows. The latest figures showed a payout of $54 million for Big Ten members, the latest non Covid year for which figures are available. The new contracts are expected to result in payouts in the $80-$100million range per school per year...as a result, teams in leagues like the SEC and Big 10 can be a lot more cavalier about ousting coaches and luring new ones with crazy high deals.
    I don't disagree with that per se...I still think the portal and the NIL is giving schools the hope that a new coach can in fact quickly turn things around...more so than in the past. And those two factors are very new. So yes, crazy deals can be afforded now - but it's NIL and portal that gives the feeling that a crazy move can also result in a quick turn. That was my main point.

That said, there's only so much money that will flow into college sports...and - AT SOME POINT - NIL will siphon it away from the schools per se. Right now, it's all 'new money' -found money - but ultimately money if fungible, and limited, and at some point...those factors will kick in. (Nick Saban has hinted at this as well...even as the NIL and portal work great for his current situation).

And another one bites the dust mid-season. Auburn has fired its coach less than two years in. The Tigers have been pretty dreadful this year, at 3-5 with the wins being over Mercer, San Jose State, and an overtime squeaker over Missouri. Lost all the rest. Still - I'm not sure why the firings are happening more frequently in mid season now, unless there's something urgent and egregious and the coach just cannot continue to be tolerated in the locker room or does something in the community or whatever. I understand they have the money to do it, but why the need? What impact on recruiting or search for the next coach? Pretty surprising fall for Auburn in a short time period -- was only three years ago they were a pretty solid SEC team.

Quote Originally Posted by HoKogan View Post
    May have been a good thing in the long run. Win that game and Duke is 4-8 and had they held on vs GT they could be 5-7 and Cutcliffe probably doesn't get fired. I think the Charlotte loss was the signal to Ms King to think about the future. And thats still considering the dropped TD and the secondary's complete inability to guard anyone at all.

I never wanted Healey at all, but I remember reading that he would have been a great candidate for Duke should they move on from Cutcliffe. I just never saw it, they still finished 5-7 and the loss said more about Duke than it did about Charlotte being an up and coming team.
    Maybe, maybe not. He would be on the last year of his contract right? It seems unlikely he was going to get an extension, and lame duck coaches are not great for anyone. It has also been leaked of some off the field issues which may have indicated it was time to move on regardless of performance on the field.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    Maybe, maybe not. He would be on the last year of his contract right? It seems unlikely he was going to get an extension, and lame duck coaches are not great for anyone. It has also been leaked of some off the field issues which may have indicated it was time to move on regardless of performance on the field.
    I tend to agree with you on this....I don't think he was coming back at 5-7. Nor should he. I was done a couple years ago frankly.

To me, it was clear he had "lost the room" as they say. I know people denied that....which is the polite thing to do. The complete turn around in attitude and effort, even more so than the turn around in results, validates the theory that Cut had "lost the room."

I would also say, in Cut's defense....a position I've rarely taken in 3 years or so...that Elko's turn around not only speaks to how Cut had lost the team mentally, but also to the fact that Cut did leave the program in better shape than he found it. I had almost figured he had squandered that....

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    And another one bites the dust mid-season. Auburn has fired its coach less than two years in. The Tigers have been pretty dreadful this year, at 3-5 with the wins being over Mercer, San Jose State, and an overtime squeaker over Missouri. Lost all the rest. Still - I'm not sure why the firings are happening more frequently in mid season now, unless there's something urgent and egregious and the coach just cannot continue to be tolerated in the locker room or does something in the community or whatever. I understand they have the money to do it, but why the need? What impact on recruiting or search for the next coach? Pretty surprising fall for Auburn in a short time period -- was only three years ago they were a pretty solid SEC team.
    Ha. Roughly two years ago they fired Gus Malzahn who went 67-35, evidently not good enough...keep hiring, firing and paying off, that's the new rhythm.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Aw, shucks.

well played!

Biff Poggi to Charlotte.

Biff Poggi is just such a great name for a coach. Almost as good as one from a National Lampoon years and years ago - Red Ruffensore.

Quote Originally Posted by Faustus View Post
    Biff Poggi is just such a great name for a coach. Almost as good as one from a National Lampoon years and years ago - Red Ruffensore.
    exactly my thought as well. May not even be a real guy, but the name is a keeper.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    exactly my thought as well. May not even be a real guy, but the name is a keeper.
    He's a Duke alum whose son was on the team as well. I mentioned an article about him a week or two ago. Really interesting guy. He was a very prominent HS coach in the Baltimore area. I think he made a small fortune working at a hedge fund for a few years so can do whatever he wants in life. Seems like a good guy. He is older (60+) but seems like a good hire.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    He's a Duke alum whose son was on the team as well. I mentioned an article about him a week or two ago. Really interesting guy. He was a very prominent HS coach in the Baltimore area. I think he made a small fortune working at a hedge fund for a few years so can do whatever he wants in life. Seems like a good guy. He is older (60+) but seems like a good hire.
    He and his wife Amy are Duke alums
    His real name is Francis Xavier Poggi
    He made more than a small fortune…he made a mega fortune
    Biff is a controversial guy…some good, some not so good
    He effectively bought the job at Charlotte

He personally spent $5mm of his own money to take Michigan’s football team to Europe and South Africa from 2017 to the present

When he was coaching at Gilman he paid the full tuition of his football recruits

Quote Originally Posted by TheTrain View Post
    He and his wife Amy are Duke alums
    His real name is Francis Xavier Poggi
    He made more than a small fortune…he made a mega fortune
    Biff is a controversial guy…some good, some not so good
    He effectively bought the job at Charlotte
    This sounds like it will be a disaster for Charlotte. I wonder if he tried to buy his way into the Duke job after Cutcliffe stepped down.

Actually…he is a very successful coach
    He’ll hire a top staff…he always does
    Money is no object here as he is self funding

Reminds me of a great Duke football name from the early 60's, Duke fullback Biff Bracy.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

I believe I recall when this book was excerpted in Parade Magazine (Sunday newspaper insert now going by the wayside) re: Poggi's Gilman:

https://www.amazon.com/Season-Life-F.../dp/0743269748

Great book
    He did a lot of great things at Gilman turning them from a local power to a regional power to ultimately a national power

Ultimately his ego got the best of him and he burned a lot of bridges at his alma mater. His departure from Gilman was not one of his finer moments.

David Shaw resigns at Stanford