Page 52 of 65 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,040 of 1295
    Quote Originally Posted by orrnot View Post
    Regardless of whether you think the remark insulting, consider this Twitter followup from Duke football alum/vocalist Lee Rodio:

“So, this got me thinking. With some help from @cbgivens we figured that during Knowles tenure at Duke he had 12 exclusively defensive players that would go on to make NFL rosters compared to 3 future doctors and 2 future lawyers. Friendly #FYI”
    I didn't go look up the stats but yes, this is part of why I considered it clearly belittling and insulting. He's also not teaching Torts or Gross Anatomy. He's teaching football.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    The reference to "future doctors and lawyers" has been around for at least 50 years. It's a harmless description and probably better than just blurting out that Duke has few future NFLers.

Kindly,
    Sage
    'Heck, Bill Futrell ran for a long TD against UNC in 1963 as a Duke med student'
    THIS!!!!! ^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by AustinDevil View Post
    I didn't go look up the stats but yes, this is part of why I considered it clearly belittling and insulting. He's also not teaching Torts or Gross Anatomy. He's teaching football.
    See above. I would not take this literally or an an insult. There is nothing out there to tie Knowles to anti Duke sentiment...

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    The reference to "future doctors and lawyers" has been around for at least 50 years. It's a harmless description and probably better than just blurting out that Duke has few future NFLers.
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    THIS!!!!! ^^^^^^

See above. I would not take this literally or an an insult. There is nothing out there to tie Knowles to anti Duke sentiment...
    Yes, you're repeating defenses of him that were already made above. I'm only replying this time because there's no such thing as an undifferentiated 50 years of Duke football being all doctors and lawyers who had no real shot at the NFL, or the CFL for that matter. That's certainly true of the winless and one-win teams that we all recall. But Knowles coached Duke defenses with some real talent; his comment, though a throwaway, was both belittling and wrong.

If the worst thing anyone says about Duke is that we recruit bright student-athletes instead of being a football mill, I guess I’m okay with that.

Yes, you're repeating defenses of him that were already made above. I'm only replying this time because there's no such thing as an undifferentiated 50 years of Duke football being all doctors and lawyers who had no real shot at the NFL, or the CFL for that matter. That's certainly true of the winless and one-win teams that we all recall. But Knowles coached Duke defenses with some real talent; his comment, though a throwaway, was both belittling and wrong.
    I don't know if it was belittling, but it was certainly inaccurate.

Elko - I don't care what choice he was. I was impressed that Duke could land a guy with his pedigree who was already making something close to Cut's salary as a DC. Everything from the first press conference, to early recruiting results, to the 4-1 start this year, makes me feel good about the guy we got.

Knowles - sometimes a throwaway line gets microanalyzed beyond anything that was intended. I don't know the context or the tone of the comment. I do know, from reading twitter, that multiple former Duke players took offense. Some even did the math and determined that Knowles was technically incorrect - there were more players from that era that made NFL rosters than went to law/medical school. Ultimately it doesn't really matter. Knowles was a good DC here, which is why he has moved up the ladder. I have no doubt that coaching at Ohio State is different from coaching at Duke, and he may have simply been trying to make a harmless comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Maturin View Post
    Elko - I don't care what choice he was. I was impressed that Duke could land a guy with his pedigree who was already making something close to Cut's salary as a DC. Everything from the first press conference, to early recruiting results, to the 4-1 start this year, makes me feel good about the guy we got.

Knowles - sometimes a throwaway line gets microanalyzed beyond anything that was intended. I don't know the context or the tone of the comment. I do know, from reading twitter, that multiple former Duke players took offense. Some even did the math and determined that Knowles was technically incorrect - there were more players from that era that made NFL rosters than went to law/medical school. Ultimately it doesn't really matter. Knowles was a good DC here, which is why he has moved up the ladder. I have no doubt that coaching at Ohio State is different from coaching at Duke, and he may have simply been trying to make a harmless comparison.
    Great point about Elko. I was getting nervous after the first few rumors and decisions by other coaches that Duke would end up with a real stretch (no thanks Jason Garrett). But then when we first started hearing about Elko I was worried it would not be high enough profile for him. This worked out great.

As for Knowles, I was curious how the players were responding. Even though I didn’t find it insulting, I’m more willing to see that angle if the actual players had that reaction.

And you are repeated the complaints. it's a forum. it happens.
    I will say this...the throw away line WAS WRONG. Only belittling if that was the intent....and I don't think it was.

Elko - I don't care what choice he was. I was impressed that Duke could land a guy with his pedigree who was already making something close to Cut's salary as a DC..
    I don't believe the comments about what choice Elko was...were comments on Elko...but I agree on the other point, I do think the pedigree was an A+ hire....

Cole Finney at Harris Teeter 9th Street Durham

Massive athlete in person. Wished him luck in Atlanta.
    https://goduke.com/sports/football/r...e-finney/18061

Jim Sumner’s latest article about turnovers is excellent. The team sits at 10-2 (+8) but that will be an interesting stat to watch as the games theoretically get tougher. The biggest question to me is what happens against the better defensive teams, since only maybe Northwestern has any reputation as playing physical defense. Miami, Pitt and Wake will be the biggest tests there.

I’ll be curious to see where Duke ends up but the article suggests 20+ turnovers forced correlates very strongly with making a bowl game…

Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    Massive athlete in person. Wished him luck in Atlanta.
    https://goduke.com/sports/football/r...e-finney/18061
    yet another dominant New Englander! They're taking over football, they're taking over hoops.

Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    Jim Sumner’s latest article about turnovers is excellent. The team sits at 10-2 (+8) but that will be an interesting stat to watch as the games theoretically get tougher. The biggest question to me is what happens against the better defensive teams, since only maybe Northwestern has any reputation as playing physical defense. Miami, Pitt and Wake will be the biggest tests there.

I’ll be curious to see where Duke ends up but the article suggests 20+ turnovers forced correlates very strongly with making a bowl game…
    I think the 20+ forced is do-able...but no way we keep up the 5-1 ratio...regression to the mean, et al, even before you factor in tougher competition. I also think 4-1 start correlates to making a bowl as well....as does several of the "tougher" opponents looking a tad weak at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    I think the 20+ forced is do-able...but no way we keep up the 5-1 ratio...regression to the mean, et al, even before you factor in tougher competition. I also think 4-1 start correlates to making a bowl as well...as does several of the "tougher" opponents looking a tad weak at the moment.
    Duke has fumbled 5 times, and recovered them all. Duke's opponents have fumbled 10 times, and Duke has recovered 8 of them. You would expect teams to recover ~50% of fumbles in the long run, so I doubt our record of 13/15 will last. That is probably a bit of luck... and no less than the program deserves given the last few years.

On the more sustainable side, I do think this team is better at protecting the ball than recent years. For one thing, the OL has allowed just 5 sacks in 5 games. That is impressive. For another, Riley Leonard's decision-making has been a huge improvement over our last few QBs. His INT against A&T was earned, but the one he threw against Northwestern was hardly his fault.

His INT against A&T was earned, but the one he threw against Northwestern was hardly his fault.
    While not important in the long run, it is possible Hagans ran the wrong route resulting in the INT against A&T.
    Bob Green

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    While not important in the long run, it is possible Hagans ran the wrong route resulting in the INT against A&T.
    One of the coaches got in the face of the receiver after the INT, so my read is that Riley threw the ball where it was supposed to go, the receiver did not.

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    One of the coaches got in the face of the receiver after the INT, so my read is that Riley threw the ball where it was supposed to go, the receiver did not.
    That’s my read as well. Riley has thrown two INT and neither was his fault.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    That’s my read as well. Riley has thrown two INT and neither was his fault.
    Bob, you know your football in general and Duke Football in particular.

Is it fair to compare Riley Leonard to Daniel Jones? Or at least at a comparable stage in their college careers?

Deon Jackson sighting in the Colts-Broncos game. Not doing much, but the OL isn’t doing much for him either. (Insert Duke football joke here.)

Jackson ended up with 13 rushes for 62 yards, plus 4 receptions for 29 yards. Was also used quite a bit in pass protection. Got a bunch of extra playing time when Nyheim Hines (a name Duke recruiting geeks like me may remember) got a nasty concussion early in this one.