Page 86 of 161 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896136 ... LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,720 of 3204
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Many would argue that forcing the players not to wear any helmets, or go back to the leather ones, would be the best strategy for reducing head trauma in the NFL. All too often the helmets are the weapon because those wearing them feel they have so much protection.
    I played with a leather helmet for two years. A shot to the face is not any fun and they happened pretty often. I do think that cutting down on the padding would bring about some altered play. Pain can do that to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    I played with a leather helmet for two years..
    Shenanigans! I call shenanigans!

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    Shenanigans! I call shenanigans!
    I believe him. He’s pretty crotchety so I know he’s up there.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    And to add to this: the owners don’t give a flip about what the fans think — as long as the fans keep watching and spending.
    Not sure about the logic here. Do you really mean that fans don't have to think to watch and spend?

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Not sure about the logic here. Do you really mean that fans don't have to think to watch and spend?
    To refine the point: some fans with grump about certain things (“football’s gone soft”; “the players get paid too much for just playing a game”) but keep watching and spending. Other fan reactions impact the bottom line.

Unfortunately, I think player safety is low on the list of things that impact fans spending habits. I bet success on the field is much more important in delivering eyeballs and dollar signs than commitment to player safety.

To refine the point: some fans with grump about certain things (“football’s gone soft”; “the players get paid too much for just playing a game”) but keep watching and spending. Other fan reactions impact the bottom line.

Unfortunately, I think player safety is low on the list of things that impact fans spending habits. I bet success on the field is much more important in delivering eyeballs and dollar signs than commitment to player safety.
    Football players are expendable and replaceable. There are literally hundreds of them in college, the CFL and unheard of minor leagues that have players who are, um, dying to get a shot at the NFL.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Agreed. It's also a principle of economics -- actions (buying and sellingl) are king. It's what people do, not necessarily what they say.

Maybe, but I know quite a few fans who have given up football because of CTE, and even more parents who simply do not let their kids play the sport as youths (and if you don't play it as a youth, you ain't goin' pro). I'm definitely solidly in that latter group, and for the pro game, I'm in the former. I follow Blue Devil football because it impacts the sports I really like, whether I'm happy about that or I'm not. I probably should stop doing that, but I won't right now because of timing.

To refine the point: some fans with grump about certain things (“football’s gone soft”; .
    Which is absurd. The players are faster, stronger, bigger than ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Maybe, but I know quite a few fans who have given up football because of CTE, and even more parents who simply do not let their kids play the sport as youths (and if you don't play it as a youth, you ain't goin' pro). I'm definitely solidly in that latter group, and for the pro game, I'm in the former. I follow Blue Devil football because it impacts the sports I really like, whether I'm happy about that or I'm not. I probably should stop doing that, but I won't right now because of timing.
    I mean, I'm sure a few fans have bailed here and there but...CTE scandal, Kapernick (both sides), conservative displeasure w/ racial equity messages, sexual violence issues, etc...yet NFL revenues and team valuations have consistently risen.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    I mean, I'm sure a few fans have bailed here and there but...CTE scandal, Kapernick (both sides), conservative displeasure w/ racial equity messages, sexual violence issues, etc...yet NFL revenues and team valuations have consistently risen.
    I think one of the main reasons that the NFL is so much more popular than MLB, the NBA, and the NHL is that they only have 17 regular season games as compared to 162 for MLB, 82 for the NBA, and 82 for the NHL.

Hardly anybody gives a darn about the regular season games of those latter three sports, but when you only play 17 games, the importance of every game is magnified. Of course there are many other reasons why most people prefer the NFL, but the number of games is a big one.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    I think one of the main reasons that the NFL is so much more popular than MLB, the NBA, and the NHL is that they only have 17 regular season games as compared to 162 for MLB, 82 for the NBA, and 82 for the NHL.

Hardly anybody gives a darn about the regular season games of those latter three sports, but when you only play 17 games, the importance of every game is magnified. Of course there are many other reasons why most people prefer the NFL, but the number of games is a big one.
    If you made the baseball season 17 games long, my wife would be quite happy.

But she still wouldn’t watch on TV. She would still go to a few games in person, just like we did when we had a football team in town, but NFL football and NCAA basketball (well, just Duke) are basically the only sports she is at all interested in watching on TV.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    To put this thread at least temporarily back on topic. From "5 things we loved from the Giants"

5. Daniel Jones put on a show
    We’re going to have to start calling him Danny Wheels instead of Danny Dimes. In the victory, Jones made big plays with his arm and legs. The highlight of his day no question had to be the two rushing touchdowns that he was able to record in the first half for New York.
    This was a needed performance from Jones. He’s always going to have haters calling him out for poor play, but he did little wrong on Sunday against the Bears. Despite the loss in Week 3, Jones also played well against the Dallas Cowboys. Now, he’s surely got confidence leading up to the Week 5 matchup with the Green Bay Packers.
    https://gmenhq.com/2022/10/02/ny-gia...aquon-barkley/
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

If you made the baseball season 17 games long, my wife would be quite happy.

But she still wouldn’t watch on TV. She would still go to a few games in person, just like we did when we had a football team in town, but NFL football and NCAA basketball (well, just Duke) are basically the only sports she is at all interested in watching on TV.
    I’m with her about Duke Basketball. 95% of the regular season college basketball games I watch are Duke games. I attend 10-12 games in Cameron each season and watch the rest on tv. And I attend 2 or 3 UNC games in the Smith Center, but I never watch them on tv (other than the Duke games, of course).

But really that’s about it, until the ACC and NCAA Tournaments.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post

Also, although some do not care for the roughness of football, that's what appeals to many fans. The risk of injury, sometimes gruesome, is part of the suspense and drama of the sport.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Yeah. Any dips from controversy for the NFL have been insignificant. They are still absolutely the One True Ring of sports viewership, and it ain't close.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Yeah. Any dips from controversy for the NFL have been insignificant. They are still absolutely the One True Ring of sports viewership, and it ain't close.
    NFL ratings slid ~20% from 2015->2017. That's majorly significant.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    NFL ratings slid ~20% from 2015->2017. That's majorly significant.
    AND...fantasy football and other quasi gambling related activities have replaced a lot of "fan" viewership too. I'm not sure this is sustainable model...not sure it isn't either. But it's different.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I try to compartmentalize my reactions to the political side of sports from the actual play on the field/court. If I boycotted everything I didn't like from the owners, sponsors and athletes I would never watch sports again.

Quote Originally Posted by brlftz View Post
    Can someone explain the contract rules to me? I keep hearing that unless the Giants agree to pay some enormous sum to DJ they’ll have to let him go. Is there not some middle ground available? Can other teams pick him up for less?
    At the end of last season, the Giants declined the 5th year option on Daniel. It would have paid him $22.3 million.

When they declined the option, it meant one of three things would happen with DJ's contract:

1- At the end of the 2022-23 season, Daniel would become a free agent and be available to the highest bidder. New York would have no rights to him at all.
    2- The Giants would negotiate some kind of extension before the end of the 2022-23 season, keeping Danny under contract. Hard to say what an extension would pay him but one would imagine the Giants would have to pay a premium to keep him from becoming a free agent.
    3- The Giants could elect to put the franchise tag on Daniel, which would result in a 1-year contract at something close to $30 million.

It is anyone's guess what will happen. It is worth noting that Daniel's rookie contract was for $25.6 mil over 4 years.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?