Page 9 of 29 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    The notable piece is that they're reducing capacity by 12,000 to 35,000. And including a "canopy" to make it feel more intimate and increase the noise levels. Smart moves for Northwestern. The Ryans have an endless supply of money to give Northwestern it appears...I wonder where they'll play during construction. The basketball stadium was redone recently and they played in a western suburb 45 minutes away (Allstate Arena)... soldier field is going to be looking for a tenant soon, ha! (But going to take the Bears still several years before building their new facility...)
    Didn’t they recently play a game in Wrigley? Against ND? Could be an option, especially in October since I doubt the Cubs will need it that month for a few years.

The notable piece is that they're reducing capacity by 12,000 to 35,000. And including a "canopy" to make it feel more intimate and increase the noise levels. Smart moves for Northwestern. The Ryans have an endless supply of money to give Northwestern it appears...I wonder where they'll play during construction. The basketball stadium was redone recently and they played in a western suburb 45 minutes away (Allstate Arena)... soldier field is going to be looking for a tenant soon, ha! (But going to take the Bears still several years before building their new facility...)
    What I was BEGGING Duke to do with the Wally Wade re do a few years ago...the canopy is great, keeps noise in, rain out....imagine...

The canopy is what I thought of for Wallace Wade when I visited the University of Washington stadium…

https://gohuskies.com/sports/2013/7/2/208568068.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    Didn’t they recently play a game in Wrigley? Against ND? Could be an option, especially in October since I doubt the Cubs will need it that month for a few years.
    Ouch.

Quote Originally Posted by gep View Post
    The canopy is what I thought of for Wallace Wade when I visited the University of Washington stadium…

https://gohuskies.com/sports/2013/7/2/208568068.aspx
    They did it better. Period.

Haha, this article explains why Wrigley isn't really an option (aka brick wall in endzone):
    https://www.offtackleempire.com/2022/1/12/22880866/northwestern-final-season-ryan-field-2022-2023-stadium-options-soldier-wrigley-comiskey-seatgeek
    Ok for one game to make the offense go in the same direction (switch sides of field), but not logical to do that for a whole season.

And talks about the other plausible options. I guess I forgot that college and NFL games never conflict so soldier field to me looks to be the best option if they can swing it.

Haha, this article explains why Wrigley isn't really an option (aka brick wall in endzone):
    https://www.offtackleempire.com/2022...iskey-seatgeek
    Ok for one game to make the offense go in the same direction (switch sides of field), but not logical to do that for a whole season.

And talks about the other plausible options. I guess I forgot that college and NFL games never conflict so soldier field to me looks to be the best option if they can swing it.
    I think that poison ivy on the wall would probably come into play at some point in the game.

https://www.offtackleempire.com/2022/1/12/22880866/northwestern-final-season-ryan-field-2022-2023-stadium-options-soldier-wrigley-comiskey-seatgeek

Soldier Field is really the only option. I was also thinking of ETHS (my mother in law’s alma mater) but it isn’t realistic. I looked at a map and Northern Illinois is farther than I thought. And Lake Forest’s stadium is smaller than ETHS.

Looking at the map also makes me realize how far out the proposed Bears site is.

https://www.offtackleempire.com/2022...iskey-seatgeek

Wrigley's the closest reasonable alternative, and the Bears played there from 1921-1970. Looks like da Bears had a different configuration than NU that I assume fit a full field:
    https://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...5-graphic.html

SeatGeek Stadium would be a reasonable size, but over an hour from campus. I agree that Soldier Field is likely to be the chosen alternative.

Regarding stand covers, we could be like Baylor and add a toilet seat (my brother, a TCU grad, says it fits Waco perfectly):
    https://twitter.com/mugdown/status/5...951489?lang=en

Wrigley's the closest reasonable alternative, and the Bears played there from 1921-1970. Looks like da Bears had a different configuration than NU that I assume fit a full field:
    https://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...5-graphic.html

SeatGeek Stadium would be a reasonable size, but over an hour from campus. I agree that Soldier Field is likely to be the chosen alternative.

Regarding stand covers, we could be like Baylor and add a toilet seat (my brother, a TCU grad, says it fits Waco perfectly):
    https://twitter.com/mugdown/status/5...951489?lang=en
    Baylor is gross, Waco is gross, and that stadium is cheap AF. The "cover" is the thinnest circle and really provides shade to only a negligible proportion of fans (ironically, though, for Duke-Baylor 2018, the part of the Duke section that was at the top of the stadium was at least under that tiny bit of shade).

Quote Originally Posted by AustinDevil View Post
    Baylor is gross, Waco is gross, and that stadium is cheap AF. The "cover" is the thinnest circle and really provides shade to only a negligible proportion of fans (ironically, though, for Duke-Baylor 2018, the part of the Duke section that was at the top of the stadium was at least under that tiny bit of shade).
    Timely to what’s going on here in Durham right now, I missed that game at Baylor due to a hurricane (Michael?) coming through here and shutting down all airports before I could get out.

Back to NU, we play at Northwestern in 2024, so we’ll be at their temporary home. Sounds like another road trip to add a new stadium.

And speaking of football stadiums, Miami billionaire John Ruiz is still trying to pay for one for the University of Miami, but he’s having trouble finding a location. There is no room at UM or even in the city of Coral Gables, and the old Orange Bowl site was used for a new baseball stadium for the Miami Marlins, so now he’s trying to take over a large public park. Worse yet, he’s not very good at making friends and influencing people.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/c...266577871.html

Quote Originally Posted by miramar View Post
    And speaking of football stadiums, Miami billionaire John Ruiz is still trying to pay for one for the University of Miami, but he’s having trouble finding a location. There is no room at UM or even in the city of Coral Gables, and the old Orange Bowl site was used for a new baseball stadium for the Miami Marlins, so now he’s trying to take over a large public park. Worse yet, he’s not very good at making friends and influencing people.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/c...266577871.html
    That's interesting...Hard Rock Stadium, after the 2015 renovation, is a great place. At 65K capacity, it's way too big for a private school program perhaps...and maybe sharing with the Dolphins and a lot of other events is not what the U wants...but it's a Super Bowl worthy stadium, with the seats all or mostly covered...against rain and hot sun. Wonder why Ruiz wants another stadium...

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    That's interesting...Hard Rock Stadium, after the 2015 renovation, is a great place. At 65K capacity, it's way too big for a private school program perhaps...and maybe sharing with the Dolphins and a lot of other events is not what the U wants...but it's a Super Bowl worthy stadium, with the seats all or mostly covered...against rain and hot sun. Wonder why Ruiz wants another stadium...
    Because it’s 20 miles from the UM campus. Takes 45 minutes to get there. No way to get a great student-led environment in a stadium that far away and hard to get to. Will always be a big negative for the program but one that there’s no real solution to.

Jake Bobo looking great so far tonight for the Bruins against Washington.

UCLA vs U Dub

Hurts to see Bobo playing so well for UCLA. We need him.

Quote Originally Posted by 53n206 View Post
    Hurts to see Bobo playing so well for UCLA. We need him.
    Bobo earned his degree and moved on. I have no issue and am glad he is excelling for the Bruins.

UCLA 40, Washington 32

Jake Bobo - 6 catches, 142 yards, 2 touchdowns.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Bobo earned his degree and moved on. I have no issue and am glad he is excelling for the Bruins.

UCLA 40, Washington 32

Jake Bobo - 6 catches, 142 yards, 2 touchdowns.
    Jake would have to haul in 25 catches for 142 yards when he was playing for Duke. Those 5-8 yard passes were not very exciting. It's bad that he wasn't able to show case his talent at Duke.

GoDuke!

Ted Roof's Oklahoma defense (he's DC) is getting absolutely blitzed by TCU giving up 41 points in the first half.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Ted Roof's Oklahoma defense (he's DC) is getting absolutely blitzed by TCU giving up 41 points in the first half.
    So this season Oklahoma’s ceiling is Ted Roof?