Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dpslaw View Post
    At this point, I think I would rather play Nebraska than Kansas.
    Anybody but App State.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Texas’ starting QB, Quinn Ewers, was injured in the first quarter. And they still had Bama dead to rights. It’s okay, though, because the Longhorns are in the process of building things back to where they have historically been.

They have monster recruiting classes coming in and I think Sark is a good coach and an offensive wizard. It’s a process. They’ll learn from this Bama game and be better for it in the long run.
    The tackle that was laid on him would have been illegal in the NFL. College football needs to follow suit and make that kind of 'drive the player into the ground' play illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    The tackle that was laid on him would have been illegal in the NFL. College football needs to follow suit and make that kind of 'drive the player into the ground' play illegal.
    You make a great point, rev. College football needs to strongly discourage that type of tackle by making the consequences significant.

It already is. It was called correctly as roughing the passer. Unless you mean it should be a targeting type penalty with ejection? Or is it already if the refs think there was intent to harm? I believe that’s what it is in the NFL. I’m not very familiar with the ejection rules in college football.

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    It already is. It was called correctly as roughing the passer. Unless you mean it should be a targeting type penalty with ejection? Or is it already if the refs think there was intent to harm? I believe that’s what it is in the NFL. I’m not very familiar with the ejection rules in college football.
    Hmm, I’m not familiar with certain college rules — or perhaps lack thereof — either. If you find out something definitive let us know.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Some rich booster stepped up and paid it.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    "Frost fired four offensive assistants, had his pay cut from $5 million to $4 million and agreed to having his buyout drop from $15 million to $7.5 million on Oct. 1."

seems like frost should have taken the 15 million last year...
    April 1

I wasn't watching the game; just saw a replay and didn't see that a penalty was called. Thanks for this extra information.

Given how often quarterbacks end up with significant shoulder injuries from this type of play, it might not be a bad idea to treat it the way they treat targeting, although that might also open a can of worms.

I wasn't watching the game; just saw a replay and didn't see that a penalty was called. Thanks for this extra information.

Given how often quarterbacks end up with significant shoulder injuries from this type of play, it might not be a bad idea to treat it the way they treat targeting, although that might also open a can of worms.
    Yeah, players are just too vulnerable when ending their throwing motion. No way to protect yourself. I would be down with ejection for something like that if there were intent to harm. Maybe add that in to the rule book and dial back some of the targeting calls.

Yeah, players are just too vulnerable when ending their throwing motion. No way to protect yourself. I would be down with ejection for something like that if there were intent to harm. Maybe add that in to the rule book and dial back some of the targeting calls.
    It was pretty amazing when they called Duke for targeting on what seemed like a routine play -- fortunately, the review corrected and reversed it. Clearly, the refs aren't shy to call it these days and likely overdo it.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Probably true but I'm struck by the idea that a booster or a group of boosters have that amount of money and are willing to spend it to fire a coach three weeks before the amount goes down.

Go figure. These guys live in a different universe than I do.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    Probably true but I'm struck by the idea that a booster or a group of boosters have that amount of money and are willing to spend it to fire a coach three weeks before the amount goes down.

Go figure. These guys live in a different universe than I do.
    my reading was the buyout went down *last* year.
    April 1

Frost and Freeman sounds like a good law firm. Both need asbestos pants now. Saw ND fans invade O’Hare like lions Saturday and skulk out like lambs on Sunday

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    It was pretty amazing when they called Duke for targeting on what seemed like a routine play -- fortunately, the review corrected and reversed it. Clearly, the refs aren't shy to call it these days and likely overdo it.
    From what the TV analyst said (and I thought he was really good all game) the sound of the hit was like two helmets hitting. So, given they’re always reviewed, it wasn’t a bad call by the official at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Frost and Freeman sounds like a good law firm. Both need asbestos pants now. Saw ND fans invade O’Hare like lions Saturday and skulk out like lambs on Sunday
    Frost is done—stick a fork in him.

As for Freeman—ND likely will have to ride this out for at least 3 years, unless he completely implodes the program and the broader [conference] sands shift more rapidly around them. I wouldn't write him off just yet though—it's only been 3 games.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa John View Post

As for Freeman—ND likely will have to ride this out for at least 3 years, unless he completely implodes the program and the broader [conference] sands shift more rapidly around them. I wouldn't write him off just yet though—it's only been 3 games.
    Yeah, I agree. It's a terrible start for him. I'm impressed with him when I watch him speak. I think he may still be the guy.

Of course, I was impressed with Dan Hawkins at Colorado after hearing him speak in person a few times. Good speaker, terrible coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa John View Post

ND's QB Buchner is now out for most of the season. Stinks for them but that might give Freeman a nice excuse if this turns out to be a real stinker.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...-miss-4-months

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    ND's QB Buchner is now out for most of the season. Stinks for them but that might give Freeman a nice excuse if this turns out to be a real stinker.

Big break for the heels. ND comes to Chapel Hill Sept. 24 and the holes have a bye this week.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post

Since he's only played 2 games, at least his silver lining is that he'll be able to claim a redshirt for this season.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

This hit was worthy of much more than a 15 yard penalty. Even ejection is an insufficient consequence. The hit resulted in tremendous pain and will have a 4-6 week recovery time, a big setback to the QB and the team's whole season. There should be a suspension option for illegal hits that result in significant physical damage resulting in not only loosing the player for a game but for several weeks. Saban at least should suspend the player instead of having no comments about the incident and saying only his team played poorly. What if a Texas player had done this to his Heisman candidate QB?