Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Really disappointing night, as we were outplayed in every facet and the sold out crowd was probably 40% CHeats fans who got to dance all over our field. We couldn’t even hold onto the ball for more than three seconds at a time before giving it right back, and had nothing resembling a decent scoring chance. UNC is good but we played a terrible game on all fronts. Also GTHC.

After 4/2/22 I swore off watching ANY game involving the Cheats this season. That *might* exclude BB, but I'm not even positive about that yet. Just not going to give that institution my eyeballs for even a hot second.

God bless all you guys who have recovered and can endure it. I'm still in the emotional long-term repair shop after that wreck.

SouthernDukie - that was a rough end to the season for sure, but it's a new season and a clean slate. I do get nauseated anytime I see that ugly shade of blue, but it makes it all the more satisfying when we do manage to beat them in anything.

Every facet of the game except goal-keeping, we got out-played. We were slow to the ball, inaccurate with our passing, always out-numbered, and while Michelle Cooper was still the hardest-working player on the field, every other member of our outfield got out-hustled. That was truly an embarrassment. We have a lot of work to do.

A couple of people have mentioned that the cheats shut down Michelle Cooper. I have to say that I disagree with that assessment. They shut down our midfield. Michelle very seldom got the ball, and almost never received it in a truly dangerous position. When she did get a touch or two, she was very effective...and we lost the ball just as soon as she passed it to someone else, and not usually because Michelle missed the pass. Michelle worked harder than anyone out there, but you cannot win when you are playing by yourself against a team.

The midfield certainly got worked….but it took 80 minutes for Duke to recognize that UNC was vulnerable on the flanks, especially on the attacking right. They just formed a defensive block on the edge of the 18. Dorrance played conservative and smart…got the opening goal and really packed it in and played the counterattack game when we pressed to go forward.

We need to play the alleys on UNC…stretch the width of their back four to open space in the middle for Cooper to set up shop. We were way too narrow / compact in our offensive approach for 80 minutes

Quote Originally Posted by TheTrain View Post
    The midfield certainly got worked….but it took 80 minutes for Duke to recognize that UNC was vulnerable on the flanks, especially on the attacking right. They just formed a defensive block on the edge of the 18. Dorrance played conservative and smart…got the opening goal and really packed it in and played the counterattack game when we pressed to go forward.

We need to play the alleys on UNC…stretch the width of their back four to open space in the middle for Cooper to set up shop. We were way too narrow / compact in our offensive approach for 80 minutes
    I would also point out that even in the last ten minutes, we generated zero SOG and spent only a tiny fraction of that time in our opponent's back third. Heck, we made four individual clock-wasting substitutions in the final 6 minutes, which to me looked like a face-saving measure from Church after Carolina scored their third goal in the 84th minute. I mean, I agree that we played too narrow for most of the time, especially in our attacking final third, but I wouldn't point to the last ten minutes as evidence that we suddenly found a key that would unlock the game for us. We were beaten in the last ten minutes, too, and it wasn't particularly close.

I noticed that as well - we kept trying to push through a packed midfield and force passes through five defenders instead of using the sidelines. Didn't seem to make any adjustments in the second half after being so dominated in the first. Maybe we were just so overmatched that it didn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    I would also point out that even in the last ten minutes, we generated zero SOG and spent only a tiny fraction of that time in our opponent's back third. Heck, we made four individual clock-wasting substitutions in the final 6 minutes, which to me looked like a face-saving measure from Church after Carolina scored their third goal in the 84th minute. I mean, I agree that we played too narrow for most of the time, especially in our attacking final third, but I wouldn't point to the last ten minutes as evidence that we suddenly found a key that would unlock the game for us. We were beaten in the last ten minutes, too, and it wasn't particularly close.
    We’ll agree to disagree on that. The opportunities were there late on the attacking right with some average crosses into the box that we could not capitalize on.

Soccer recruiting news is hard to come by, but Robbie Church is doing his best impression of Jon Scheyer, landing an elite player from the class of 2024.

https://twitter.com/sportsstarstv/st...708140032?s=21

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Soccer recruiting news is hard to come by, but Robbie Church is doing his best impression of Jon Scheyer, landing an elite player from the class of 2024.
    Wow, no kidding!

2021 - 2022 Gatorade National Girls Soccer Player of the Year as a Sophomore!
    https://playeroftheyear.gatorade.com...jackson/39203#!
    Riley Jackson can change the game with one touch of the ball. She can out-work any player on the field, her vision is national-elite level and she has precision passing with amazing touch.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    Wow, no kidding!
    My son knows Riley...we are getting a true superstar
    We should continue to mine Tophat and Concorde....arguably the two top girls programs in the US and both based in Atlanta.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTrain View Post
    My son knows Riley...we are getting a true superstar
    We should continue to mine Tophat and Concorde...arguably the two top girls programs in the US and both based in Atlanta.
    By the way, we also landed her teammate Solai Washington to boot
    That year at Concorde has 7 of the top 150 players in the US...loaded
    3 left to commit, 1 other to Notre Dame and 1 other to Oklahoma

Duke is in a scoreless tie at halftime in Syracuse for their ACC opener. Last week's UNC game was non-conference.
    Despite two straight losses, Duke is still ranked #3. Yet they still seem to be in a funk in this game, no goals and down 5-3 in shots.

BTW, Duke Men's Soccer is now ranked #5. Have both Duke Soccer teams ever been top 5 before (at the same time)?

Duke finally scores with 1:43 remaining for a 1-0 lead!

Duke dominated the half with an 11-1 shot advantage and Maggie Graham finally scored.

That's the final, 1-0 Duke!

"This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Duke Women at 6-2 overall have dropped back to #5 in the Coaches Poll behind UVA #2 and UNC #3. They face unranked Boston College tonight at Koskinen at 7pm ET on ACCNX. It would be great for the Blue Devils to have a strong game to get them out of their scoring slump (1 goal in the last 2 games).

Home Win

Full story Cooper 2 goals