Page 61 of 125 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371111 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,220 of 2490
    Well, this is interesting. $1 Billion in TV deals to come for Big Ten? At least ESPN has the ACC.

https://nypost.com/2022/08/08/big-ten-on-verge-of-1-billion-in-tv-deals-that-will-exclude-espn/

Quote Originally Posted by Avvocato View Post
    Well, this is interesting. $1 Billion in TV deals to come for Big Ten? At least ESPN has the ACC.

And, lest we forget, the ACC Network (all due respect to our working agreement with The World Wide Leader...)

This will almost certainly mean the end of the ACC-Big Ten Challenge, which would be very sad. I suppose ESPN may get a difference conference to play the ACC instead but it really is not feasible for the challenge to feature ACC home games on ESPN and Big Ten home games on Fox Sports or whatever.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    This will almost certainly mean the end of the ACC-Big Ten Challenge, which would be very sad. I suppose ESPN may get a difference conference to play the ACC instead but it really is not feasible for the challenge to feature ACC home games on ESPN and Big Ten home games on Fox Sports or whatever.
    I suspect the end of the ACC/Big Ten Challenge - while sad - is the least of our concerns moving forward. If the ACC is surviving at the cost of being ostracized and left out of big events, this could be worse than the conference dissolving and schools looking for life boats.

Quote Originally Posted by TKG View Post
    And, lest we forget, the ACC Network (all due respect to our working agreement with The World Wide Leader...)
    good thing we're locked in for the next 14 years, or whatever it is!

I'm not sure who will want out of that agreement more, ESPN or schools...
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    good thing we're locked in for the next 14 years, or whatever it is!

I'm not sure who will want out of that agreement more, ESPN or schools...
    Exactly. I just posted on a different esteemed Duke board - it's yet to be determined if this GOR is a flotation device or an anchor.

A challenge with the SEC could bring Kentucky to Cameron or Duke to Rupp. Those games would be worth a lot of money. Of course, a challenge with the B12 could bring Kansas to Cameron or Duke to Allen Fieldhouse. Those games would also be worth a lot of money.

Maybe it’s a hot take but the Challenge has been a bit boring from the Duke perspective for a while. It’s gotten a bit repetitive and I generally find B1G hoops to be uninteresting to begin with. I’d much prefer challenges with the SEC, B12 or Big East - probably in that order.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by DukieTiger View Post
    Maybe it’s a hot take but the Challenge has been a bit boring from the Duke perspective for a while. It’s gotten a bit repetitive and I generally find B1G hoops to be uninteresting to begin with. I’d much prefer challenges with the SEC, B12 or Big East - probably in that order.
    From a Duke perspective maybe, but not from an ACC perspective, at least not in a good way, where the ACC hasn't won since 2017. (In fact, the ACC has only won twice since 2009) It would be nice to change that before and if it disappears.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Exactly. I just posted on a different esteemed Duke board - it's yet to be determined if this GOR is a flotation device or an anchor.
    Yes, I have no doubt that it's going to be tested in the reasonably near future.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    From a Duke perspective maybe, but not from an ACC perspective, at least not in a good way, where the ACC hasn't won since 2017. (In fact, the ACC has only won twice since 2009) It would be nice to change that before and if it disappears.
    All fair. I just don’t find the matchups interesting any more and the concept feels stale. Would rather replace it with a league with more regional rivalries (SEC, Big East) or at least a new challenge (B12).

I’m sure any challenge would get old after two decades of doing it, so no disrespect intended toward the challenge I once looked forward to every single year.

You want exciting?

Schedule a Challenge game between Duke and Maryland - or hold it in College Park.

Rumor has it our former head coach was the one stopping it from happening...

Quote Originally Posted by TywinBlue View Post
    You want exciting? Schedule a Challenge game between Duke and Maryland - or hold it in College Park. Rumor has it our former head coach was the one stopping it from happening...
    I doubt that one's going to change. If we need to play a game in DC in any sport, Georgetown, GWU, and American are available. Navy, GMU, and Towson are close enough.

Agree that there's no reason to schedule Maryland
    Pratt '09, Grad '10

All fair. I just don’t find the matchups interesting any more and the concept feels stale. Would rather replace it with a league with more regional rivalries (SEC, Big East) or at least a new challenge (B12).

I’m sure any challenge would get old after two decades of doing it, so no disrespect intended toward the challenge I once looked forward to every single year.
    I feel the same way about the Champions Classic.

With the B10 leaving ESPN, that leaves openings in ESPN's schedule. Presumably, the ACC will have a part in filling those gaps. I suppose no one here has an answer but I wonder whether ESPN can move ACC games into those slots without negotiating with the ACC? The games should have a higher value if they're in more prominent slots. If they wasn't already a contract, the ACC would certainly be demanding more money to broadcast its games in more prominent slots.

Quote Originally Posted by ecs15 View Post
    Agree that there's no reason to schedule Maryland
    Maryland sucks but it would be great fun to schedule them and beat their sorry rear ends.

The ACC-BIG is the dumbest thing in all of sports. I literally would rather Duke win anything of consequence in even the most minor or sports than win the ACC-BIG as a conference. It is the epitome of no-one-cares

So, let's talk about other candidates...

Big East - only 11 teams. Gotta get closer to the ACC's 15 to make the challenge really work.
    Big 12 - only 12 current teams. They will be going to 16 from 2023 until 2025 and then drop down to 14. This could maybe work though the flux in that conference seems somewhat unwieldy.
    SEC - Currently 14. Going to 16 when Ok and Tx join in 2025. Seems like a good candidate and the similar regionality would seem to create some fun matchups.
    Pac 12 - Currently 12 members. USC and UCLA leave in 2024. In its current makeup, this isn't a good fit.

If the Challenge is going to continue, it has to be with the SEC.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by RoseBowl1942 View Post
    The ACC-BIG is the dumbest thing in all of sports. I literally would rather Duke win anything of consequence in even the most minor or sports than win the ACC-BIG as a conference. It is the epitome of no-one-cares
    Agreed. We're talking about the death of the NCAA tournament as a realistic possibility, who cares about this? If the challenge dies we can just take matters into our own hands and schedule home and homes with Michigan or Purdue or Ohio State or whoever.