Jaylen Blakes named to USA East Coast Basketball Team

This is kinda interesting for Jaylen--

https://goduke.com/news/2022/8/1/men...ll-roster.aspx

Duke sophomore men's basketball guard Jaylen Blakes has been selected as a member of the USA East Coast Basketball roster. The team will honor USA Basketball's original Dream Team this August as they compete in an overseas tour. Blakes' squad, consisting of top collegiate players from around the country and led by NBA and college coaches, will travel to Barcelona for the 30th anniversary of the original Dream Team.

Blakes will team up with familiar faces from the ACC, as Benny Williams (Syracuse), John Hugley IV (Pittsburgh) and JR Konieczny (Notre Dame) are all on the roster as well.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

I wonder if they will play the original dream team. They could hold their own

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    I wonder if they will play the original dream team. They could hold their own
    That reminds me of the great MJ quote where in the past year or two someone asked MJ if the 90s Bulls could beat LeBron's Lakers and he said they would be a few points. The reporter asked "Why so close" and Jordan replied "most of us are in our 60s now."

Great for Jaylen to get this experience and recognition. I assume this was in the works and not just decided today as it is happening pretty soon. Normally I would prefer he be working out with the Duke team, particularly since he is one of the few "veterans" but this seems like it will be good as well.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine

Gotta think that playing competitive games is always a good thing for development… just like Tyrese is doing now for his country. Fingers crossed this is a big boost for Jaylen!
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Here is the full roster... not exactly full of recognizable names: https://guyrancourt.com/2022-team-barcelona

Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Blakes first game -- 10 pts, 6 reb, 6 ast in just 15 mins of playing time.

Here are some highlights, showing off some pretty solid mid-range game: https://twitter.com/duke_lights/stat...01189177638912

That’s one helluva stat line. Best performance on the team. Love to see it.
    Last edited by SkyBrickey; 08-06-2022 at 12:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyBrickey View Post
    That’s one helluva stat line. Best performance on the team. Love to see it.
    After playing against a bunch of potential lottery picks- this must seem a little easier

Blakes first game -- 10 pts, 6 reb, 6 ast in just 15 mins of playing time.

Here are some highlights, showing off some pretty solid mid-range game: https://twitter.com/duke_lights/stat...01189177638912
    Nice find. I counted 10 points, 5 assists, and 2 steals in a 59-second video. (I see steals at about 0:28 and 0:36. Not sure why he was credited for just 1 steal in the table above.)

If we extrapolate this to a full 40-minute highlight video, Jaylen Blakes would have 406 points, 203 assists, and 81 steals. I don't know if those numbers would merit as much DBR discussion as Ryan Young, but they're not bad.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    After playing against a bunch of potential lottery picks- this must seem a little easier
    Yeah no idea the quality of competition or his teammates, but this points to a confident Jaylen.

A good sign for him to be in the rotation as a Jr/Sr - or even this year if Proctor is not ready for backup PG duties.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyBrickey View Post
    Yeah no idea the quality of competition or his teammates, but this points to a confident Jaylen.

A good sign for him to be in the rotation as a Jr/Sr - or even this year if Proctor is not ready for backup PG duties.
    In the history of Duke BBall do players who stick around for 3-4 years have the greatest improvement in play between freshman-soph; soph-jr or jr-sr year.

Wendell seemed to make the biggest jump between soph-jr. Jeremy seemed to taka a big jump towards the end of last year so almost a freshman-soph time frame.

So for Jaylen this experience will hopefully accelerate his jump in quality of play.