Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    I was bartending at, what would rightfully be considered a roadhouse, in the late 80s when the seatbelt law went into effect. It was much discussed by the patrons who were almost entirely opposed to the assault on their freedom.

I specifically remember shaking my head while listening a lengthy discussion about the benefits of being “throwed clear” instead of being confined by a seatbelt during an accident. Numerous examples were give of unbuckled friends and relative having been throwed clear while other seatbelt restrained passengers suffered much more dire consequences.

Perhaps Coach Jefferson is a follower of the throwed clear school of thought.
    TBF, of all the mental gymnastics people do about stuff, having poor impressions how a seatbelt keeps you safe because someone "knew a guy" is probably one of the most understandable. Humans often have bad intuitions about how physics works, and most definitely put undue weight on anecdotal evidecence (as DBR proves on a regular basis).
    April 1

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I was bartending at, what would rightfully be considered a roadhouse, in the late 80s when the seatbelt law went into effect. It was much discussed by the patrons who were almost entirely opposed to the assault on their freedom.
    Your comment had me curious wondering when airbags came about, and if there was any relation to them and seatbelt use. The answer is "not really", although government mandates made the use of both more prevalent.
    Over the years safety legislation and public interest in automotive safety would ebb and flow for and against airbags. Seat belt usage was quite low in the 1970s and the airbag was marketed as an alternative to seat belts. Car companies like GM and Ford actively lobbied against airbags citing performance issues and claiming they are not cost-effective. Safety concerns rose and by the 1980s legislation passed mandating either seatbelts or airbags in all new cars. It wouldn’t be until 1998 until both seatbelts and airbags became mandatory for all new cars.
    That quote is from a history of airbags, which is truly interesting. I had no idea that the first one was patented 100 years ago!
    https://www.hotcars.com/a-detailed-l...ry-of-airbags/
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Your comment had me curious wondering when airbags came about, and if there was any relation to them and seatbelt use. The answer is "not really", although government mandates made the use of both more prevalent.

That quote is from a history of airbags, which is truly interesting. I had no idea that the first one was patented 100 years ago!
    https://www.hotcars.com/a-detailed-l...ry-of-airbags/
    One thing that was enlightening for me, not that I ever didn't buckle up, was the modern slow motion videos of crashes with and without various safety mechanisms. Holy cow...i'll have my head not be a pinball, thanks.
    April 1

I specifically remember shaking my head while listening a lengthy discussion about the benefits of being “throwed clear” instead of being confined by a seatbelt during an accident. Numerous examples were give of unbuckled friends and relative having been throwed clear while other seatbelt restrained passengers suffered much more dire consequences.

Perhaps Coach Jefferson is a follower of the throwed clear school of thought.
    Many years ago in the UK my friend rolled over his Mini. A ‘real’ two door Mini not these big Mini’s that are produced these days. Those things were small and I know because I had two of them. There were four people in the car and the driver and passenger windows were rolled down. Get this, one of the passengers ended up out side the vehicle. It was one of the rear seated passengers!! Crazy.
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    Many years ago in the UK my friend rolled over his Mini. A ‘real’ two door Mini not these big Mini’s that are produced these days.
    Haha, “big Mini”.

Maybe they should market them thusly!

Considering their size, Minis seem to get pretty crappy gas mileage, n'est-ce pas?

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Considering their size, Minis seem to get pretty crappy gas mileage, n'est-ce pas?
    Depends on which model you get and what your driving habits are. I had a 2002 Mini Cooper regular (not S) model for 16 years. I got about 34-35 around town/highway mix. When I took a road trip I got 39 to 40 mpg.

Currently driving on of the "Big Minis" (a 2014 Mini Cooper Countryman, which is considerably larger than the one I had before). I am getting about 32-33 mpg in it right now, but I am driving conservatively to save gas.

All-in-all, I wouldn't call the mileage "crappy."
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Depends on which model you get and what your driving habits are. I had a 2002 Mini Cooper regular (not S) model for 16 years. I got about 34-35 around town/highway mix. When I took a road trip I got 39 to 40 mpg.

Currently driving on of the "Big Minis" (a 2014 Mini Cooper Countryman, which is considerably larger than the one I had before). I am getting about 32-33 mpg in it right now, but I am driving conservatively to save gas.

All-in-all, I wouldn't call the mileage "crappy."
    That’s pretty good. My wife’s 2018 Chevy Traverse gets 27 mpg on road trips. Honestly shocks the heck out of me for how big it is. Heck, my F-150 gets 24 mpg on trips which is also not bad for a truck!

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    That’s pretty good. My wife’s 2018 Chevy Traverse gets 27 mpg on road trips. Honestly shocks the heck out of me for how big it is. Heck, my F-150 gets 24 mpg on trips which is also not bad for a truck!
    yeah, I can get high 20s on the road in my Volvo, so some of the Mini numbers I see are less than impressive...

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Ummmmm, WHAT?!?!?!

Attachment 14840
    Not quite but I could share a ton of NSFW stories as well as fights, a stabbing and a near shootout. I was not a bouncer and the tips were great. One image I have in my mind is a girl who bartended with me always had a lit cigarette in her mouth while mixing drinks. Hard to imagine that these days. Then again, we had a student smoking area at my high school.