Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine

Summer scrimmage video #2

See it here: https://youtu.be/OaqbLbVRZYY

Main things that I noticed late on a Friday night:
    1) Mark Mitchell jumps off the screen. He looks ready to play a big role.
    2) Jaylen Blakes had some very nice moments and looks like he could be ready to contribute more than we think.
    3) Ryan Young may be my stealth favorite player this year. He’s going to annoy the heck out of a ton of teams, just like the YMCA style guys have driven us crazy in the past. I love having a guy like that on our side.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post

2) Jaylen Blakes had some very nice moments and looks like he could be ready to contribute more than we think.
    3) Ryan Young may be my stealth favorite player this year. He’s going to annoy the heck out of a ton of teams, just like the YMCA style guys have driven us crazy in the past. I love having a guy like that on our side.
    I don't know if we're going to have enough minutes available for guys like Blakes and Young to shine, but I do think we're going to have a really good team this year, with a quality bench that will be able to perform when they do get into the game. On the other hand, I know it's a highlight vid but there's not a lot of defense on display in this video.

You hit on most of my takeaways as well. Roach looked good again and seemed to have a nice connection with Young. Whitehead had some really nice plays and looks poised. Lively looked better hitting a smooth 3 and a nice jump hook. Flip did basically nothing in the highlights.

It will be interesting what the team looks like with Proctor and Grandison but I like the core of Roach, Whitehead, Lively, Young and Mitchell -not that I expect that to be the starting line-up but in terms of what I’m seeing. The team has real potential.

Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    Lively looked better hitting a smooth 3 and a nice jump hook. Flip did basically nothing in the highlights.
    It's funny how eye tests differ. I was disappointed with Lively and thought Filipowski was a little passive but looked good with a "smooth 3" and a nice drive. In reality, they both probably performed about the same.

Roach, Blakes, Lively, Whitehead and Mitchell stood out for me. Filipowski seemed to struggle with the speed of play.

I thought that number 55, Hubbard, looked awfully good too.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I don't know if we're going to have enough minutes available for guys like Blakes and Young to shine, but I do think we're going to have a really good team this year, with a quality bench that will be able to perform when they do get into the game. On the other hand, I know it's a highlight vid but there's not a lot of defense on display in this video.

Blakes looked good... and Young looked really good too. As you say, Young might be my sleeper favorite. He'll probably be an important cog in the team rotation... even if only spot minutes... just like Theo John.

Quote Originally Posted by 53n206 View Post
    Hubbard's mother is Beth Semans. The late Mary Biddle Duke Semans is her mother.

The video was much better than the first one because we got a lot more continuous play. We always have to remind ourselves that we are seeing what they want us to see. I agree with your comments about Blakes and Young…if they are getting a lot of minutes than this team likely won’t hit the peak it’s talent suggests. My primary takeaway as I watched the offenses attack determined but diminutive walk-on Hubbard is that this backcourt definitely needs Proctor and Grandison or else we’ll be dangerously thin. The IG comments noted that Grandison seems to be injured. As you say about the defense, I was hoping we’d see more Lively intimidation at the rim but, again, maybe the editors are keeping us wanting more. Whitehead looked more like the stud we are expecting. The ball definitely seemed to be moving, and Mitchell’s athleticism does POP. Great content Duke social squad!

It's funny how eye tests differ. I was disappointed with Lively and thought Filipowski was a little passive but looked good with a "smooth 3" and a nice drive. In reality, they both probably performed about the same.
    Each hit a 3, each had a nice wow play (Lively climbing the ladder for a rebound and then outback, Filipowski with the end-to-end), each had another nice play (Lively hook, Filipowski a driving layup). Aside from that, Lively had a few more buckets. Filipowski looked bad on D in Mitchell’s highlights and Lively was ineffective on D in Young’s highlights. I would give the edge to Lively based on what we saw, which were all highlights. And definitely would give the edge to Lively in the aggregate two videos. But again, these are heavily edited.

I will say that the team did a much better job editing this video to show more highlights. The first video looked closer to real (it was heavily edited too, but still looked a lot sloppier). This was a much better hype video.

Mitchell stood out in this one. He looks like a problem for folks at the 4. Whitehead looked good too. Some really nice sudden movements.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    The video was much better than the first one because we got a lot more continuous play. We always have to remind ourselves that we are seeing what they want us to see. I agree with your comments about Blakes and Young…if they are getting a lot of minutes than this team likely won’t hit the peak it’s talent suggests. My primary takeaway as I watched the offenses attack determined but diminutive walk-on Hubbard is that this backcourt definitely needs Proctor and Grandison or else we’ll be dangerously thin. The IG comments noted that Grandison seems to be injured. As you say about the defense, I was hoping we’d see more Lively intimidation at the rim but, again, maybe the editors are keeping us wanting more. Whitehead looked more like the stud we are expecting. The ball definitely seemed to be moving, and Mitchell’s athleticism does POP. Great content Duke social squad!
    It's easy to look at these videos and get an overall opinion about individual play but like you mentioned, we see what the team wants us to see. Mostly made baskets and a little defense thrown in. Some things that caught my eye, 1) Shutt seemed to handle the ball fairly well, 2) Whitehead looks to as advertised and 3) Mitchell looked good. Whitehead looks like a good defender, and Lively's three-point shot looks solid. Roach looks like the point guard that can lead this young team, but I agree we'll need Proctor and Grandison to play at a high level for this squad to be top ten nationally. Otherwise Shutt will have to exceed expectations.

GoDuke!

Additional thoughts:
    - Young appears to be such a nice addition. He will push Lively in practice, with his smarts and his physicality. That can’t be replicated with only freshman. Such an important get for the team’s development.
    - Still no Grandison.
    - It will be interesting to see how Proctor fits in once he arrives.

This. Some other interesting things in this scrimmage, but Mitchell's mobility and quickness really stood out. A lot of us - myself included - believe he's a college 4. But it looks like he can play the 3 with that athleticism. Can he guard the 3?

I'm bringing this up again, but I believe there is still a chance Mitchell starts at the 4. Maybe not a 50% chance, but certainly higher than the 0% many believed. It's not just Mitchell's scrimmage play but rather Flip's lack of impact, the question marks surrounding Flip's defensive ability (for the record, scouts say Mitchell is a 'solid and versatile defender'. Not a glowing response to his defense - unlike Lively and Whitehead - but certainly better than the lack of info on Flip's defense scouting report), and the flexibility of having a faster line-up.

Roach is Roach, Whitehead looks like a stud, Lively will be a defensive guru with question marks on offense, Grandison looks like a really solid 3-and-D player, and Proctor may be a high octane player off the bench. But to me, there are still question marks about Flip's defense and Mark's overall ability to contribute. I know these are scrimmages (I love how everyone has to caveat this), but I really liked Mark's contributions.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Mitchell has several things going for him: his handle, his toughness, his mobility, his ability to play both wing/3 and PF, and maybe a chip on his shoulder as an “afterthought” in Duke’s top-rated ‘22 class.

Quote Originally Posted by 53n206 View Post
    I think he's in line to take Savarino's minutes.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    Mitchell has several things going for him: his handle, his toughness, his mobility, his ability to play both wing/3 and PF, and maybe a chip on his shoulder as an “afterthought” in Duke’s top-rated ‘22 class.
    I’d love to see what a lineup with him at the 4 and Young at the 5 could do. Against teams with subpar defense in the post, space everything the hell out and let Young use those YMCA moves one-on-one in the post against the right matchup.

Based on everything we’ve seen so far this summer and what I saw of Young previously, it wouldn’t surprise me if he ends the season as close to our most efficient post scorer. He’ll obviously be a much inferior rebounder and defender compared to Lively, and probably even Flip, which will limit his minutes… hence why I said efficient and not top raw scorer. That caveat aside, he’s made to drive people crazy in the post in college. I’m excited to see him in action.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

I am curious how/why the coaches chose those lineips. Two best point guards were on White plus 3 of four bigs with Flip, Young and Reeves. Blue team was all frosh eacept for Catchings and Hubbard. If you wanted the freshmen to play together, why not put Flip in Blue and give them Blakes to play point? Not a big deal of course, just interesting to try and read the tea leaves.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeb View Post
    I am curious how/why the coaches chose those lineips. Two best point guards were on White plus 3 of four bigs with Flip, Young and Reeves. Blue team was all frosh eacept for Catchings and Hubbard. If you wanted the freshmen to play together, why not put Flip in Blue and give them Blakes to play point? Not a big deal of course, just interesting to try and read the tea leaves.
    I view it differently:
    - they split up the two best PG/playmakers (Roach and Whitehead)
    - they split the two lower-tier guard/wings (Blakes and Schutt)
    - they put a walk-on on either side (Catchings and Johns)
    - they split the two PF options (Mitchell and Filipowski)
    - they split the two Cs (Lively and Young)

Seems pretty balanced to me given the limitations of the available players.

I'm glad Roach stayed around he's a real leader.

My observations:

* Blakes again looks like more than just a practice body. Not saying he's getting 20 mins a game but he looks like he'll be part of the regular rotation.
    * Not sure if I should be impressed with Young's offense or disappointed in Lively's defense.
    * Roach look's like he's gonna take the next step...so glad he's back.
    * Whitehead hype is as advertised
    * Mitchel is gonna be a mf'ing problem for teams. Could ultimately be our highest drafted player out of this class. Not saying he'll be our leading scorer (Roach and Whitehead) or even a starter but man teams just aren't gonna have an answer for him as as our 3rd, 4th or 5th option. Getting serious Joe Johnson vibes from him.