Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

World Track and Field Championships - 2022 - Eugene Oregon

The world is coming to Oregon for the World Track and Field Championships.

If you are interested in such things, look for coverage on NBC affiliated stations:
    NBC (in Prime Time and weekends), CNBC (probably weekends), USA Network and Olympic Network (qualifying heats etc..), and Peacock (those dirtballs who steal baseball every Friday night).

Here is a list of US athletes:
    https://www.usatf.org/news/2022/usat...d-athletics-ch

There are some promising youngsters and oldsters for the US teams, and a lot of personality. Should be fun.

Larry
    DevilHorse

I'm interested in seeing Devon Allen, who is trying out for the Philadelphia Eagles this year, but also happened to run the 3rd fastest 110m hurdles of all time this year. I wonder if football cross training helped his hurdling. I like his chances of winning this event much more than making an NFL roster, but he is an interesting story.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDude View Post
    I'm interested in seeing Devon Allen, who is trying out for the Philadelphia Eagles this year, but also happened to run the 3rd fastest 110m hurdles of all time this year. I wonder if football cross training helped his hurdling. I like his chances of winning this event much more than making an NFL roster, but he is an interesting story.
    I’ll be watching him too. My sons went to high school with him and my daughter ran track at their sister school overlapping (no pun intended) a year so it’s been really fun to follow his career.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDude View Post
    I think his Dad passed away just before the trials 3 weeks ago and he finished 3rd (but just made the team). He's been doing very well in the Diamond League this year otherwise. Hopefully he can right the ship.

I'm looking forward to the 400m Hurdles for the Ladies. Sydney McLaughlin (local NJ girl I've been following since High School) has set a World Record the last 3 times she's stepped on the track; and she's been very judicious in which meets she's been participating in. Femke Bol has been tearing it up in Europe, and improves each week; she's broken the old World Record, but Sydney continues to outpace her. Delilah Mohammad, the reigning World Champion, is out with a hamstring injury.

Also, the Women's 800 meters. Athing Mu, another jersey girl, is a running savant and should compete in the 800 and 400meters. She looked mortal in the trials, but I think she was just on cruise control. Keely Hodgkinson from the UK might be a tough contender.

In the Men's 200 meter, Noah Lyles, Kenny Bednarek, and high schooler Erriyon Knighton could lead a US sweep (or not). Lyles swept past Knighton in the last 10 yards to win the trials in a world leading time. Knighton (being a high schooler) was not amused. I think Lyles waved as he went by. Rivalries are fun!!!

Armand Duplantis is US born and educated, but pole vaults for the Swedes. He is really really good.

I will be glad to see if Alyson Felix runs in one of the preliminaries for the 400 meter relay. She has been so good for so long. She deserves to go out on this the biggest stage this year.

I'll be looking to see if the US 100 meter relay can make it around the track without thinking the baton needs to be dribbled.

Larry
    DevilHorse

Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorse View Post
    I think his Dad passed away just before the trials 3 weeks ago and he finished 3rd (but just made the team). He's been doing very well in the Diamond League this year otherwise. Hopefully he can right the ship.

I'm looking forward to the 400m Hurdles for the Ladies. Sydney McLaughlin (local NJ girl I've been following since High School) has set a World Record the last 3 times she's stepped on the track; and she's been very judicious in which meets she's been participating in. Femke Bol has been tearing it up in Europe, and improves each week; she's broken the old World Record, but Sydney continues to outpace her. Delilah Mohammad, the reigning World Champion, is out with a hamstring injury.

Also, the Women's 800 meters. Athing Mu, another jersey girl, is a running savant and should compete in the 800 and 400meters. She looked mortal in the trials, but I think she was just on cruise control. Keely Hodgkinson from the UK might be a tough contender.

In the Men's 200 meter, Noah Lyles, Kenny Bednarek, and high schooler Erriyon Knighton could lead a US sweep (or not). Lyles swept past Knighton in the last 10 yards to win the trials in a world leading time. Knighton (being a high schooler) was not amused. I think Lyles waved as he went by. Rivalries are fun!!!

Armand Duplantis is US born and educated, but pole vaults for the Swedes. He is really really good.

I will be glad to see if Alyson Felix runs in one of the preliminaries for the 400 meter relay. She has been so good for so long. She deserves to go out on this the biggest stage this year.

I'll be looking to see if the US 100 meter relay can make it around the track without thinking the baton needs to be dribbled.

Larry
    DevilHorse

Yes, you’re right about Devon’s dad. I didn’t know him well but did spend a decent amount of bleacher time with him and the other team parents at some of the invitationals on the west coast. I’ll watch women’s distance events and as many relays as I can!

Read yesterday that multiple athletes are struggling to get visas for the competition. A shame if true.

Keeping an eye on the attendance for the meet as well. USAs and the Pre Classic were both sparsely attended. Really hope that's not the case for WC as well.

As noted above, the women's 800 should be a fascinating watch. Both men's hurdle events as well, assuming Karsten Warholm is healthy.

I'm admittedly bummed about the men's 1500. I've been looking forward to Cole Hocker mixing it up with the best again, but a foot injury had other plans for him. It'll be interesting to see if Cooper Teare is ready for the big time.

Heart broken for Molly Seidell. First Boston and now Worlds. Here's to hoping for a successful recovery.

Starts Tonight 7/15/2022

The T&F WC starts tonight. It will be televised at 8pm ET on the USA Network.

Larry
    DevilHorse

The T&F WC starts tonight. It will be televised at 8pm ET on the USA Network.

Larry
    DevilHorse
    Today's events are mostly qualifiers and heats, but there is one final of significant interest (to me, at least) - the mixed 4x400 relay.

After failing to qualify in the individual events, Allyson Felix was named to the mixed 4x400 pool. This will be her final world championship appearance. If the US medals - as is widely expected - it would be the 30th Olympic/World Championship medal for Felix. I am pretty sure that this is more than anyone in track and field history. Usain Bolt appears to be 2nd with 22 medals.

The US finished a disappointing 3rd in Tokyo, but that team didn't include the top US 400m runners (unlike the men's and women's 4x400 teams which both cruised to gold). Hopefully, knowing that it is Felix's final race will encourage the US to field something close to the best possible team.

I haven't seen any confirmation of this, but I hope Felix will participate in the final (and not just this afternoon's qualifier).

Quote Originally Posted by House P View Post
    Today's events are mostly qualifiers and heats, but there is one final of significant interest (to me, at least) - the mixed 4x400 relay.

After failing to qualify in the individual events, Allyson Felix was named to the mixed 4x400 pool. This will be her final world championship appearance. If the US medals - as is widely expected - it would be the 30th Olympic/World Championship medal for Felix. I am pretty sure that this is more than anyone in track and field history. Usain Bolt appears to be 2nd with 22 medals.

The US finished a disappointing 3rd in Tokyo, but that team didn't include the top US 400m runners (unlike the men's and women's 4x400 teams which both cruised to gold). Hopefully, knowing that it is Felix's final race will encourage the US to field something close to the best possible team.

I haven't seen any confirmation of this, but I hope Felix will participate in the final (and not just this afternoon's qualifier).
    There's some strategy at play in the mixed 4x4. Both the men's and women's teams are strong enough to win gold, so it's possible that other countries stack the mixed race with their top talent while the USA fields a weaker squad. Similar to what occurred in Tokyo.

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    There's some strategy at play in the mixed 4x4. Both the men's and women's teams are strong enough to win gold, so it's possible that other countries stack the mixed race with their top talent while the USA fields a weaker squad. Similar to what occurred in Tokyo.
    Yeah, in Tokyo the US mixed 4x400 team consisted of the 4th and 5th place finishers in the Olympic trials for both the men's and women's 400. It would be great to see a couple medal contenders in the individual 400 races also compete in the mixed 4x400 for the US. The semi-finals of the 400 aren't until Wednesday and the finals aren't until Friday, so the top US runners have plenty of time to rest between the mixed 4x400 and their individual events.

At the very least, I think there would be something incredibly poetic about having Allyson Felix hand off the baton to Champion Allison to win gold!

Yeah, in Tokyo the US mixed 4x400 team consisted of the 4th and 5th place finishers in the Olympic trials for both the men's and women's 400. It would be great to see a couple medal contenders in the individual 400 races also compete in the mixed 4x400 for the US. The semi-finals of the 400 aren't until Wednesday and the finals aren't until Friday, so the top US runners have plenty of time to rest between the mixed 4x400 and their individual events.

At the very least, I think there would be something incredibly poetic about having Allyson Felix hand off the baton to Champion Allison to win gold!
    US women have immense talent that can be alloted to the 4x400 relay legs. Sydney McLaughlin and Athing Mu could be the best 400m runners in the world, but they don't usually run that event. Look at the team that won the 4x400 relay in Japan last year:
    https://world-track.org/2021/08/usa-...ub-49-seconds/
    Two 4x400 hurdlers, an 800 meter runner, and a 35 year old mother (Felix). Although the non-400m (flat) women have their own heats to worry about, surely someone can contribute from the main qualifiers if needed. Felix will not be substituted for unless she is hurt; this is her best chance at a medal.

Larry
    DevilHorse

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    If there is a baton involved, even in a "slower" race like the 4 x 400, the U.S. team will find a way to drop it. This is what they do.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    If there is a baton involved, even in a "slower" race like the 4 x 400, the U.S. team will find a way to drop it. This is what they do.
    Nah. Sometimes they make sure they don't drop it and carry it outside the passing zone, instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Nah. Sometimes they make sure they don't drop it and carry it outside the passing zone, instead.
    I believe this problem has been usually restricted to the Mens 4x100meter relay. In 2021 Olympics, the mixed 4x400 meter relay was disqualified and reinstated for a zone violation.
    The last Men's 4x400m disqualification was 2004 when a runner was ruled ineligible (after the final) who ran in the preliminary heats; the US finished first in the final but was taken down.

You could add drug test failure and bad hand-offs/wrong person running the wrong leg (2021)

US, in Olympics, in the 4x100m, has not gotten a medal since 2004 Athens (a silver). In 2000 the US won gold.

2008 - Baton Drop in qualifying heat (involved Tyson Gray)
    2012 - Disqualified - Tyson Gray doping
    2016 - Out of the zone hand-off
    2021 - 4 flubs including, wrong runners and bad hand-off 2nd leg (lost momentum)

In the World Championships, the US 4x100m team has fared better. Last disqualification was 2015 when .. Tyson Gray was out of the zone.

Why isn't Tyson Gray the US relays coach??

Larry
    DevilHorse
    Last edited by DevilHorse; 07-15-2022 at 02:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I always appreciate your humor, but the US has an excellent history - in the Olympics, at least - of managing the baton in the 4x400. The US has only failed to medal in the 4x400 (men's or women's) five times in Olympic history, none of those due to baton issues. All in all, the US has won 34 medals (26 gold, 7 silver, 1 bronze) in 37 non-boycotted Olympic 4x400 relays.

Here are the 5 times the US has failed to medal.

1980 - boycott
    2000 - the US men finished first but Andrew Young, who ran in one of the qualifying races was disqualified for being "inappropriately reinstated after a pervious failed drug test"
    1972 - the US couldn't field a team after one runner was injured and two others were disqualified for protesting during the 400m individual medal ceremony
    1912 - the US finished 4th

The qualifying races for the 4x400 mixed relay start at 2:45 Eastern today, but I can't find a way to watch it live.

The qualifying races for the 4x400 mixed relay start at 2:45 Eastern today, but I can't find a way to watch it live.
    I managed to find the qualifying races on the Peacock streaming service.

The US finished with the best overall qualifying time, 0.88s faster than the second fastest qualifier (The Netherlands). The US team included the 4th and 5th place finishers from the US Championships, so there is room to improve should the US choose to mix up the team for the final.

US sweep for 100. Astounding!

-jk

I believe this problem has been usually restricted to the Mens 4x100meter relay. In 2021 Olympics, the mixed 4x400 meter relay was disqualified and reinstated for a zone violation.
    The last Men's 4x400m disqualification was 2004 when a runner was ruled ineligible (after the final) who ran in the preliminary heats; the US finished first in the final but was taken down.

You could add drug test failure and bad hand-offs/wrong person running the wrong leg (2021)

US, in Olympics, in the 4x100m, has not gotten a medal since 2004 Athens (a silver). In 2000 the US won gold.

2008 - Baton Drop in qualifying heat (involved Tyson Gray)
    2012 - Disqualified - Tyson Gray doping
    2016 - Out of the zone hand-off
    2021 - 4 flubs including, wrong runners and bad hand-off 2nd leg (lost momentum)

In the World Championships, the US 4x100m team has fared better. Last disqualification was 2015 when .. Tyson Gray was out of the zone.

Why isn't Tyson Gray the US relays coach??

Larry
    DevilHorse
    The worst, in my view, was 1960 in Rome, when an exchange out of the zone after the first leg prevented Duk';s Dave Sime from winning the goal as the anchor on the US team.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    US sweep for 100. Astounding!

-jk
    It has been a while.

Interesting that the US 3 were so close at the finish line.

How will this translate to the 4x100 relay? Historically, the fastest guys get into the relay. Maybe time to have tryouts for 'handoffs'.

Disappointed to see the NBC will be broadcasting some of the marquis (in my eyes) events Finals on Peacock. They talked up the women's 400 meter hurdles, then say you can watch it on their Pay affiliate instead of NBC Prime Time?! Bad style points NBC.

Larry
    DevilHorse

It has been a while.

Interesting that the US 3 were so close at the finish line.

How will this translate to the 4x100 relay? Historically, the fastest guys get into the relay. Maybe time to have tryouts for 'handoffs'.

Disappointed to see the NBC will be broadcasting some of the marquis (in my eyes) events Finals on Peacock. They talked up the women's 400 meter hurdles, then say you can watch it on their Pay affiliate instead of NBC Prime Time?! Bad style points NBC.

Larry
    DevilHorse
    I’m so aggravated with the NBC coverage. I’m on Oregon time and didn’t even get last night’s broadcast live.