Page 51 of 77 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 1522
    Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Agree, fishy is an odd term. A&M offered them guaranteed contracts/payments and Bama didn’t match.
    I don't get why this is at all controversial or "fishy" or whatever. Texas A&M boosters have spoken to members of the media about this multiple times. It is not like they need to hide it. Here is an article from the Athletic where members of "The Fund" (that's was TA&M call their NIL collective) say they have spent "low single-digit millions" to sign incoming recruits: https://theathletic.com/3273847/2022...ng-kyle-field/

I mean, Saban can complain all he wants, but it ain't like TA&M is breaking any rules.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

And of course Spurrier tells it like it is: “What’s Jumbo upset about? Did Saban say anything that isn’t true?”

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I don't get why this is at all controversial or "fishy" or whatever. Texas A&M boosters have spoken to members of the media about this multiple times. It is not like they need to hide it. Here is an article from the Athletic where members of "The Fund" (that's was TA&M call their NIL collective) say they have spent "low single-digit millions" to sign incoming recruits: https://theathletic.com/3273847/2022...ng-kyle-field/

I mean, Saban can complain all he wants, but it ain't like TA&M is breaking any rules.
    Can’t agree with you on this. NIL is not supposed to be used as an inducement in recruiting.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/...s-schools-more

Of course, the NCAA can’t regulate the behavior of the boosters but it can punish schools that allow athletes to play when they knew the athletes received NIL inducements not allowed under NCAA rules.

But I kinda doubt that Alabama is Simon pure.

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    Can’t agree with you on this. NIL is not supposed to be used as an inducement in recruiting.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/...s-schools-more

Of course, the NCAA can’t regulate the behavior of the boosters but it can punish schools that allow athletes to play when they knew the athletes received NIL inducements not allowed under NCAA rules.

But I kinda doubt that Alabama is Simon pure.
    Such a gray area- so hard to manage as the lawyers can write the contracts in such a way that are well within the rules and laws. The NCAA can’t oversee that.

Of course right now Bama can get most anyone they want and year in and year out be in the final 4 teams competing for the championship. Maybe with pay for play they will only get half of those players. Perhaps that is a good thing for more parity. Time will tell.

NIL for WR Jordan Addison Transferring to USC

A deal worth a mere $3.5M.

Quote Originally Posted by unclsam1 View Post
    I am sure that won’t cause any jealousy on the team.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    It wouldn’t had he gone to Texas A&M!

— N. Saban

When the ice cream truck pulls up outside the football dorm, now we know who is buying - bomb pops for everyone!

To be fair, if these guys want to play in the NFL, they better be used to stars getting paid much better than them, among the many other prerogatives that the stars get.
    Carolina delenda est

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    To be fair, if these guys want to play in the NFL, they better be used to stars getting paid much better than them, among the many other prerogatives that the stars get.
    At least in the pros, they are getting paid as well.

Quote Originally Posted by unclsam1 View Post
    It doesn't really matter, but I'm not sure this number is accurate. Apparently, SC doesn't have a collective, and no one has come forward bragging about it, and he denies the number, so it's not clear where the money would have come from. Addison has said he was offered more from other schools and that he's transferring because he's best buddies with Caleb Williams, the OU QB transfer, and likes the idea of playing with arguably the best offensive coach in college football as well as arguably the best college QB. He didn't compare living in LA vs living with Pittsburgh.

This is from an SC fan site that quotes an espn writer...

https://reignoftroy.com/posts/espn-c...ball-nil-money

Of course right now Bama can get most anyone they want and year in and year out be in the final 4 teams competing for the championship. Maybe with pay for play they will only get half of those players. Perhaps that is a good thing for more parity. Time will tell.
    I've been out of town and am coming to this comment late, but when has more money EVER been good for parity? There is not one single example I can think of.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    I've been out of town and am coming to this comment late, but when has more money EVER been good for parity? There is not one single example I can think of.
    Yea, the NIL money deals may not create parity across a wide variety of schools (in football, basketball, and other sports) but it MAY allow SOME schools to up their recruiting (through "buying" players, as Nick Sabin alleges) and compete more effectively with the top programs in each sport. Of course, I don't think the top schools will just sit back and allow their top recruits to be picked off by lesser programs. It wouldn't surprise me to see an "arms race" to take place.
    Reminds me of the old Bob Hope joke: "Money doesn't necessarily bridge the generation gap, but it sure as hell helps".

Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    Yea, the NIL money deals may not create parity across a wide variety of schools (in football, basketball, and other sports) but it MAY allow SOME schools to up their recruiting (through "buying" players, as Nick Sabin alleges) and compete more effectively with the top programs in each sport. Of course, I don't think the top schools will just sit back and allow their top recruits to be picked off by lesser programs. It wouldn't surprise me to see an "arms race" to take place.
    Reminds me of the old Bob Hope joke: "Money doesn't necessarily bridge the generation gap, but it sure as hell helps".
    This has been taking place for quite some time, but just not as direct cash payments to athletes. Clemson's amazing new football facilities from 2017 are already considered behind the curve...Kentucky's basketball dorm (with a couple non-basketball players in residence at a very high cost -- but needed, because a "basketball only" dorm is against rules) and other living/playing/travel perks have been going on for years and been getting more and more ostentatious to attract recruits.

https://theclemsoninsider.com/2021/0...-in-arms-race/
    2021: "College football has been engaged in an arms race for decades to see which programs can build and maintain the best facilities in the sport. In 2017, Clemson opened the Allen Reeves Football Complex a $55 million headquarters for football operations. The 142,000 square foot building includes a state-of-the-art weight room, sports medicine center, meeting rooms, offices and even a slide and nap room. But since then, other schools in the Tigers’ footprint have also ramped up their facilities. For example, in 2019 South Carolina opened a 111,000 square foot football operations facility with a $50 million price tag."

Kyle Fillipowski and Excel Sports

Excel Sports tweeted that Kyle has joined the "Excel family". Kyle retweeted Excel's tweet. Excel describes itself as "an industry-leading management and marketing agency for talent, brands and properties."

https://twitter.com/excelsm/status/1...JOFa3c33WGayZg

I wonder if any of our other players will sign with Word Sports or Powerpoint Sports?

Any one watching what's going on with Miami booster John Ruiz? This is the guy signing all the players to NIL deals. His company, MSP Recovery went public via a SPAC last week. It's down about 90% from the offering date. I wonder how Ruiz feels about those NIL deals now? If you remember, this is the guy that Isaiah Wong sort of called out when he was looking for a larger NIL deal.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ses-in-minutes
    Last edited by nmduke2001; 06-02-2022 at 10:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I wonder if any of our other players will sign with Word Sports or Powerpoint Sports?
    Outlook and Teams are strong alternatives but all my gang signed with Office Suite to leverage all the MS capabilities

https://youtu.be/xbNxGqaorY4

Laugh if you want to, really is kinda funny
    'Cause the world is a car and you're the crash test dummy
    Herd’s stampeding now, fence is gone
    Television is always on - and it says
    Save the children, but drop the bomb
    Replace the word right now, with the word wrong
    Hey there's a big sale on tuesday, get it 'fore its gone
    Get a picture with the four horsemen for a nominal sum
    Now that they got everything they'd like to sell you some!
    Take this pill now and put it on your tongue
    Keeps you active, just like everyone
    Keeps you from feeling good, bad, ugly, crazy, dumb
    It ain't a drug god-dammit! I give it to my only son!
    Well, noone's gonna get arrested, noone's having any fun
    Doctor's orders: you feel your heart beating? go ahead and take you one!
    And now you're duller than a singing saw
    Playing uncomfortably numb
    Its a thorazine work party with free fluoride bubble gum
    Man you wander like a zombie out into the midday sun
    All hail, all hail, to the greatest sale
    Everything insides got to be sold
    All hail, all hail, its to work hard in jail
    Man they're closing them doors on the world

Random question: now that players don't lose their eligibility for being paid, could we ever see a scenario where a player comes back after not making it in the NBA? Ie DJ, Duval, etc? Say they want to come back, finish a degree, and make NIL money and give the NBA another run. Clearly there is no precedence for this happening, and likely rules against it, but a random thought for the day.