Page 88 of 180 FirstFirst ... 3878868788899098138 ... LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,760 of 3582
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    It's not rocket surgery. And in fact, it's the logic that has kept me from buying a house on the Outer Banks.

Those islands will move dramatically over the next 30+ years, as is their design. Add to that, stronger storms that will likely wash away my favorite spots in the next 5-25 years, and rising oceans from ice caps... I'd have to have a LOT of money to consider that poor of a risk.
    I will never by a beach house. For many reasons but this is top of the list.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    yeah, I never saw the logic in it. You can rent a house on the beach just about anywhere, any time, without the hassle of upkeep and the threat of it going into the drink. As for it being a "good investment," the answer to that is a pretty strong no.

The Great State of North Carolina subsidizes insurance for beach homes if the insurance companies won't. Why, I wonder? Real estate must be protected, land of the rich, that sort of thing.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Snoop Dog may buy Twitter now:

“ Gonna replace the board of directors with Jimmy from my corner Fish Fry, Tommy Chung and tha guy with the ponytail on CNBC.
    12:07 PM · May 13,

https://www.yahoo.com/news/elon-musk...193215764.html

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    The Great State of North Carolina subsidizes insurance for beach homes if the insurance companies won't. Why, I wonder? Real estate must be protected, land of the rich, that sort of thing.
    Without researching it, I always remembered it was a federal flood insurance plan that enabled people to invest in risky coastal real estate all up and down the east coast. Orrin Pilkey referred to it as the New Jerseyization of the coast in Oceanography 101? that I took as one of my most interesting undergraduate classes.

Who offers someone a horse in exchange for an erotic massage? Elon Musk (allegedly).

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/s...221749528.html

Who offers someone a horse in exchange for an erotic massage? Elon Musk (allegedly).

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/s...221749528.html
    “Wilbur, don’t drag me into your mess.”

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    “Wilbur, don’t drag me into your mess.”
    The YouTube guy tweeted at the PayPal and Tesla guy to stop “horsing” around with the Twitter thing and the PayPal and Tesla guy tweeted back that he will give the YouTube guy a horse if he touches, and I quote, “his wiener”. And all of this is news…

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...es-wiener.html

I came to that conclusion after hugo.
    It took a entire row of beach houses and the street they were on .just gone .no where to rebuild .
    Further down the same island a house and land had washed out . The lot behind it became ocean view property .
    Fast forward 25 years later .someone paid a top market value for that view.
    The land /sand came back infornt of it.
    The owners still had title . Started to lay pilings to build a house again.
    Taking away the clear oceanview of the house that was purchased .
    Then came the lawsuit . Now there are 3 houses two with partial ocean views.

I would have thought at some point in time . Someone would have reserved the first umpteen yds from the beach as a no
    Building zone .

Quote Originally Posted by wavedukefan70s View Post
    I came to that conclusion after hugo.
    It took a entire row of beach houses and the street they were on .just gone .no where to rebuild .
    Further down the same island a house and land had washed out . The lot behind it became ocean view property .
    Fast forward 25 years later .someone paid a top market value for that view.
    The land /sand came back infornt of it.
    The owners still had title . Started to lay pilings to build a house again.
    Taking away the clear oceanview of the house that was purchased .
    Then came the lawsuit . Now there are 3 houses two with partial ocean views.

I would have thought at some point in time . Someone would have reserved the first umpteen yds from the beach as a no
    Building zone .
    And yet, for $ome rea$on they are reluctant to do $o...

And yet, for $ome rea$on they are reluctant to do $o...
    Yeah its a losing investment. They tried
    To hamper public parking .but they need those public dollars for beach renourishment .
    All to save thier investment .

I was of the opinion let the ocean take it .we will have more beach for the public .

Quote Originally Posted by wavedukefan70s View Post
    Yeah its a losing investment. They tried
    To hamper public parking .but they need those public dollars for beach renourishment .
    All to save thier investment .

I was of the opinion let the ocean take it .we will have more beach for the public .
    I agree in principle. But some of those small Outer Banks towns stand to lose absolutely everything in a very short timeframe.

I agree in principle. But some of those small Outer Banks towns stand to lose absolutely everything in a very short timeframe.
    How much do you invest to keep something in a place nature doesn’t want it to be? It’s like those cliff side homes in California that erode and crumble away.

How much do you invest to keep something in a place nature doesn’t want it to be? It’s like those cliff side homes in California that erode and crumble away.
    Oh, I understand. I'm just noting a difference between a luxury house that isn't a primary home on Hilton Head and a fifth generation fisherman on Ocracoke.

Oh, I understand. I'm just noting a difference between a luxury house that isn't a primary home on Hilton Head and a fifth generation fisherman on Ocracoke.
    Beach house
    1. Made of wood
    2. Ostentatious
    5th gen fisherman
    1. Gets morning wood
    2. Say, whaat??

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    Beach house
    1. Made of wood
    2. Ostentatious
    5th gen fisherman
    1. Gets morning wood
    2. Say, whaat??
    I'm just saying, one of the two gets much more sympathy from me.

What is “5th gen fisherman”?

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    What is “5th gen fisherman”?
    Someone whose family has been living and fishing in Ocracoke for over 120 years?

Sympathy, certainly. If nature sets its mind to something, it’s going to win and I suspect that is something the fisherman understands more than rich man. I’m fine with a certain amount of restoration and prevention and intervention, probably just draw my line a bit sooner than most.

Sympathy, certainly. If nature sets its mind to something, it’s going to win and I suspect that is something the fisherman understands more than rich man. I’m fine with a certain amount of restoration and prevention and intervention, probably just draw my line a bit sooner than most.
    I mean, I feel one should get a degree of economic relief and the other perhaps not so much.

Regardless, those islands will keep shifting, destroying houses, roads, and Bridges.

Nature wins in the long run.