Page 25 of 44 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Interesting side note. While I didn't go to Duke for college, I can still say I DID go to Duke.

The buildings behind the softball stadium were home to my preschool and kindergarten classes, which is a thing Duke used to do.
    Did you attend Duke School? That’s what it was called when my two children attended.

Was one of your parents Duke faculty?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Did you attend Duke School? That’s what it was called when my two children attended.

Was one of your parents Duke faculty?
    I honestly don't know what it was called, it was in the 70s and I distinctly remember the smell of purple mimeograph ink. And, I got to go there twice for kindergarten! (Not because I flunked, but apparently I was too young to have been there in the first place.)
    Yes to faculty, both parents were in the hospital system after they graduated from Duke med and nursing.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    So I've been trying to tune into the Ga/UMBC game, and it hasn't even started. And it's 5:15.

It looks like now the game time is 6:30.

Someone playing twice is going to have a very long day today, right? Or do they kick Liberty vs that one til Sunday morning?
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

So I've been trying to tune into the Ga/UMBC game, and it hasn't even started. And it's 5:15.

Someone playing twice is going to have a very long day today, right? Or do they kick Liberty vs that one til Sunday morning?
    I believe they must play the elimination bracket to completion today, unless there is a weather problem. It may go pretty late.

https://www.ncaa.com/brackets/softba.../regionals/106

I don't know, but I bet the latter. Lots of rain and thunder in the area. They may not get any more games in today.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    I believe they must play the elimination bracket to completion today, unless there is a weather problem. It may go pretty late.

I just looked at the radar. Durham looks like its in for a couple hours of very heavy storms. (And they are still an hour away)

In baseball a few years back, due to weather the final games got pushed to Monday. I bet they get UMBC-Georgia in today and then the losers final is pushed to tomorrow, which will tire out the opponent duke winds up having to play

Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    In baseball a few years back, due to weather the final games got pushed to Monday. I bet they get UMBC-Georgia in today and then the losers final is pushed to tomorrow, which will tire out the opponent duke winds up having to play
    Irony, didn't that work out very, very well for Duke? Like we were down in the game by "You Are Doomed to nothing", and the next day BAM! And we won the game.
    I might be remembering that wrong, and if I am, that's ok, because in my head it's still a good memory.

Irony, didn't that work out very, very well for Duke? Like we were down in the game by "You Are Doomed to nothing", and the next day BAM! And we won the game.
    I might be remembering that wrong, and if I am, that's ok, because in my head it's still a good memory.
    That was game 2 of the regional, the losers goes home match against Campbell. That pushed both games of the finals against Georgia to Monday which obviously worked fine

That was the Athens regional in 2018. We still had to beat UGA two times in 1 day. It included a 114 pitch game by Mitch Stallings on less than 48 hours rest.

Softball is a different animal. Might the extra rest might let us pitch PSG for the final?

That was game 2 of the regional, the losers goes home match against Campbell. That pushed both games of the finals against Georgia to Monday which obviously worked fine
    Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    That was the Athens regional in 2018. We still had to beat UGA two times in 1 day. It included a 114 pitch game by Mitch Stallings on less than 48 hours rest.
    See? In my head, it's still a beautiful memory. (And thankfully it was a nice memory in reality, too.)

Game 4 between Georgia and UMBC (the two first-round losers) has started, but I can't see how Game 5 (Winner of Game 4 vs. Liberty) will happen today. The skies are clear but it will be pretty late. The Game 5 winner is scheduled to play Duke in Game 6 tomorrow at 2pm local.

UPDATE FROM THE @NCAASoftball DURHAM REGIONAL: There have been more lightning strikes in the area. The latest we have heard is that UMBC-UGA will likely not start until at least 8:00PM. @LibertySB will play the winner afterwards IF the game is able to start before 10:59PM. https://twitter.com/JamieKarlHall/st...43247230525440

UPDATE FROM THE @NCAASoftball DURHAM REGIONAL: There have been more lightning strikes in the area. The latest we have heard is that UMBC-UGA will likely not start until at least 8:00PM. @LibertySB will play the winner afterwards IF the game is able to start before 10:59PM. https://twitter.com/JamieKarlHall/st...43247230525440
    That's a little more than an hour from now and Game 4 is still in the 5th inning. Not likely.

Well it's 10PM, and 5-3 in the bottom of the 5th that game (Ga lead), so another game kicking off by 11 ain't happening.

Edit...well now going to the 6th..so maybe.

I'd rather the game be tomorrow. That way whoever Duke faces has already spent more hours in the heat than they'd like.

Georgia will play liberty starting at 1115 PM tonight. So uh they won’t be playing a game before us, but they’re gonna be short on sleep

Edit: 1115 not 1130

Georgia will play liberty starting at 1115 PM tonight. So uh they won’t be playing a game before us, but they’re gonna be short on sleep

Edit: 1115 not 1130
    It appears from the college sports scores on the ESPN site that Georgia beat Liberty 7-2, after earlier beating UMBC 6-3.

Duke will play Georgia at 2PM.

Weather forecast (weather.com) is saying 86 degrees, 10 MPH SW winds and 18-22 percent chance of rain through the course of the game.

Go Duke!
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Give me Liberty or Give me Georgia.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Give me Liberty or Give me Georgia.
    I wonder what time it was when Georgia took away your Liberty?