Page 24 of 71 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 NBA Draft

I think this can go here since it also concerns the draft but regarding AJ Green and Keels I don't think we would have seen him(green) on campus this early without at least speaking to keels to see where he's leaning since they were both in Chicago (also they could easily use reach each other on DM).

So this is just my opinion regarding a lot of circumstances but I think its fair to infer from those Keels is leaning on staying in. Which I know most of us assume but there are some who think the opposite or that we could get both (LOL)

Quote Originally Posted by cbolden1 View Post
    I think this can go here since it also concerns the draft but regarding AJ Green and Keels I don't think we would have seen him(green) on campus this early without at least speaking to keels to see where he's leaning since they were both in Chicago (also they could easily use reach each other on DM).

So this is just my opinion regarding a lot of circumstances but I think its fair to infer from those Keels is leaning on staying in. Which I know most of us assume but there are some who think the opposite or that we could get both (LOL)
    Possibly. But I have to say I love what Scheyer is doing: being aggressive with high-impact transfers, getting them campus, etc.

If Scheyer can emulate Coach K's HS recruiting prowess (which he was already done in his short time as Duke's head coach) and drastically improve the transfer recruiting, Scheyer will have all the talent he'll ever need and more.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Possibly. But I have to say I love what Scheyer is doing: being aggressive with high-impact transfers, getting them campus, etc.

If Scheyer can emulate Coach K's HS recruiting prowess (which he was already done in his short time as Duke's head coach) and drastically improve the transfer recruiting, Scheyer will have all the talent he'll ever need and more.
    I love it too but what I hope differs from K is that Jon uses the 4 stars on his bench more that way we have continuity year to year and don't have to be searching this late in the Portal. I want to see guys like Blake and Schutt get like 10 mins a game

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine

Yeah, it's been no secret what Duke's offseason strategy is, with the main concern being the starting 2-guard. It's no secret that Option A is Trevor's return, and Option B is a high impact transfer. It seems now like Option B is definitively AJ Green.

The fact that there hasn't been reports of a commitment while AJ is on campus still means a lot, though. If it were a done deal that Trevor was gone, we'd try to lock up AJ. But it certainly seems like there's an understanding that AJ is waiting on Trevor's decision here. If that is indeed the case, kudos to Jon for finding a way to balance being aggressive with these transfers with the realities of a player testing the waters. I'm sure we'll get some clarity soon, but it certainly seems like Scheyer has the right strategy here.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Yeah, it's been no secret what Duke's offseason strategy is, with the main concern being the starting 2-guard. It's no secret that Option A is Trevor's return, and Option B is a high impact transfer. It seems now like Option B is definitively AJ Green.

The fact that there hasn't been reports of a commitment while AJ is on campus still means a lot, though. If it were a done deal that Trevor was gone, we'd try to lock up AJ. But it certainly seems like there's an understanding that AJ is waiting on Trevor's decision here. If that is indeed the case, kudos to Jon for finding a way to balance being aggressive with these transfers with the realities of a player testing the waters. I'm sure we'll get some clarity soon, but it certainly seems like Scheyer has the right strategy here.
    If I were AJ, I wouldn't commit to Duke with the Keels decision still outstanding. AJ shouldn't want to play with Keels on the roster; he's a two-time MVP for an okay mid-major conference and should demand a starting spot wherever he goes.

If Scheyer can balance this AJ/Keels situation, mad kudos. It's a tough tight rope to walk and requires a healthy balance of honesty and optimism.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

Fox Sports latest mock...

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/nb...-magic-at-no-1

3. Paolo - says he is the most NBA ready player in the draft and that he and Christian Wood could be a great pairing for Houston
    7. Mark Williams - I think this is the highest I have seen him)
    9. AJ Griffin - I feel like his stock has slipped a bit and he won't go in the top ten
    10. Shaedon Sharpe - no way he lasts to pick #10
    23. Keels - I think this is the highest I have seen Trevor in a recent mock

Does not have Wendell going in the first round.

And, as a side note, Fox has euro Nikola Jovic going #20 to the Spurs. I hope he instead goes #21 to the Nuggets so the team with Nikola Jokic can draft Nikola Jovic... then maybe they do a pair of deals with Utah and Atlanta to pick up Bogdan Bogdanović and Bojan Bogdanović and give the Nuggets play-by-play guy an aneurism.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

3. Paolo - says he is the most NBA ready player in the draft and that he and Christian Wood could be a great pairing for Houston
    9. AJ Griffin - I feel like his stock has slipped a bit and he won't go in the top ten

And, as a side note, Fox has euro Nikola Jovic going #20 to the Spurs. I hope he instead goes #21 to the Nuggets so the team with Nikola Jokic can draft Nikola Jovic... then maybe they do a pair of deals with Utah and Atlanta to pick up Bogdan Bogdanović and Bojan Bogdanović and give the Nuggets play-by-play guy an aneurism.
    And then get Nurkic to go back to Denver...

On the lottery broadcast, they said OKC has 17 1st round picks in the next 5 years. That's just stunning. I know there was a time in the recent past when the Celtics seemed to have endless draft picks, but I don't think they ever had 17 1st round picks over 5 years.
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by gam7 View Post
    And then get Nurkic to go back to Denver...

On the lottery broadcast, they said OKC has 17 1st round picks in the next 5 years. That's just stunning. I know there was a time in the recent past when the Celtics seemed to have endless draft picks, but I don't think they ever had 17 1st round picks over 5 years.
    I know nothing about the business dealings of an NBA team, but I'm guessing that they deal away quite a few of those. It seems that if you are paying an average of three guys per year first round money for five years in a row, that's going to get very expensive very quickly.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

I can say with pretty high certainty that Keels isn't going to BK. They have Cam Thomas who I would say is more developed and has the same tools as keels and he couldn't really get playing time once Seth came. Seth/ Mills/Cam are the 2 guards who are small and not great on defense.I don't see room for keels. The nets would either defer that pick or pick a wing before they take keels. I would take this mock with a BIG grain of salt.

Also regarding Paolo if he goes to HOU they are trading Woods. They do not fit together and Woods had some maturity issues last year (and in the past) when the young guys were getting burn so I don't see him being any better with PB coming in.
    Last edited by cbolden1; 05-19-2022 at 12:09 PM.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Interesting clip from Trevor’s media availability at the combine, mentioning how he talks with Scheyer every day and will talk to him before “making a decision”: https://twitter.com/adamrowetdd/stat...7X2WwOOGST8OmA

Another one of those times where Keels easily could’ve said “I’m in the draft 100%” and specifically chose not to. I’m with everyone that it’s looking more and more likely that’ll be the outcome, but it certainly doesn’t seem set in stone.

Duke 2022 Lottery Squad looking sharp

Duke 2022 Lottery Squad.jpg

If I were AJ, I wouldn't commit to Duke with the Keels decision still outstanding. AJ shouldn't want to play with Keels on the roster; he's a two-time MVP for an okay mid-major conference and should demand a starting spot wherever he goes.
    What if Coach Scheyer strongly suggests Green will likely get starter's minutes, whether or not he actually starts. It's pretty easy to get seven guys 25+ mpg. Plus, if both Keels and Green are on the team next year, it would be a very strong team nationally, something that might appeal to a guy who played in relative obscurity for four years and who has never even played in the NCAA tournament.

Extended video, I think someone different (Andy Katz) asking a similar question: https://twitter.com/theandykatz/stat...7X2WwOOGST8OmA

Really sounds like someone who is still seriously considering a return, even if that isn’t the most likely scenario.

Also love his comments on Paolo.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    What if Coach Scheyer strongly suggests Green will likely get starter's minutes, whether or not he actually starts. It's pretty easy to get seven guys 25+ mpg. Plus, if both Keels and Green are on the team next year, it would be a very strong team nationally, something that might appeal to a guy who played in relative obscurity for four years and who has never even played in the NCAA tournament.
    Yeah, there is certainly room for both guys to play and thrive. It would crimp/eliminate the available minutes for Schutt and Blakes for sure, but we could easily see 25+ mpg for 4 perimeter guys.

Now, would that convince Green? I don't know. But I'm sure that's the sales pitch being made: there is a starting level spot for you regardless of Keels' decision. Even if you don't start (and you might anyway), there will be starter's minutes for the 6th man. And we would feature you heavily in your 25-30 mpg, with guys getting you looks easier than you've ever gotten them in college.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Yeah, there is certainly room for both guys to play and thrive. It would crimp/eliminate the available minutes for Schutt and Blakes for sure, but we could easily see 25+ mpg for 4 perimeter guys.

Now, would that convince Green? I don't know. But I'm sure that's the sales pitch being made: there is a starting level spot for you regardless of Keels' decision. Even if you don't start (and you might anyway), there will be starter's minutes for the 6th man. And we would feature you heavily in your 25-30 mpg, with guys getting you looks easier than you've ever gotten them in college.
    I still wonder whether this possibility is more likely than we might think and could’ve triggered Joey’s decision yesterday. With only 1 of Keels/Green there was still 10-20 minutes for Joey to claim. With both, he likely rarely gets off the bench for real minutes. Something changed from a month ago until now, and maybe this no longer being a pipe dream was it.

Again, not saying this is the likely scenario, just that it would make a lot of things make a lot more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    I still wonder whether this possibility is more likely than we might think and could’ve triggered Joey’s decision yesterday. With only 1 of Keels/Green there was still 10-20 minutes for Joey to claim. With both, he likely rarely gets off the bench for real minutes. Something changed from a month ago until now, and maybe this no longer being a pipe dream was it.

Again, not saying this is the likely scenario, just that it would make a lot of things make a lot more sense.
    It's possible. My suspicion is Keels goes pro and we get Green. But it's certainly not impossible that the two could coexist (and thrive) at Duke.

LOL, you guys are deluding yourselves.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    It's possible. My suspicion is Keels goes pro and we get Green. But it's certainly not impossible that the two could coexist (and thrive) at Duke.
    I don't think it's possible.

Green wants to play pro and, more specifically, the NBA. And to do that, he needs minutes. With Keels on board, Green's minutes get cut significantly. Why come to Duke then? Why not go to another P5 school where you can start and play ~30 minutes a game and showcase you skills via more minutes?

The only way I see Green and Keels together is if they both start, which means either Roach or Filipowski come off the bench. And I think the likelihood of that is <0.5%.

I don't think it's possible.

Green wants to play pro and, more specifically, the NBA. And to do that, he needs minutes. With Keels on board, Green's minutes get cut significantly. Why come to Duke then? Why not go to another P5 school where you can start and play ~30 minutes a game and showcase you skills via more minutes?

The only way I see Green and Keels together is if they both start, which means either Roach or Filipowski come off the bench. And I think the likelihood of that is <0.5%.
    Firstly, I agree it is highly unlikely to happen. As I said I suspect we will have one of Green or Keels, not both.

That being said, when discussing the hypothetical scenario of both, I disagree that Green’s minutes would drastically suffer with Keels on board. There are 120 mpg available, and 4 guys capable of starter’s minutes in that scenario. So maybe 2 guys get 32 mpg and 2 get 28. Still plenty of opportunity for everyone among those 4.

As to why he might consider going somewhere to play maybe 4 mpg less? Maybe he wants a shot at a Final Four trip? Tournament success has historically boosted players’ draft stock.

Again, I agree that the most likely (by far) scenario is that we get one or the other. But it isn’t impossible for 4 guard/wings to thrive in the same rotation. Harder? Sure. But not impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by cbolden1 View Post
    I love it too but what I hope differs from K is that Jon uses the 4 stars on his bench more that way we have continuity year to year and don't have to be searching this late in the Portal. I want to see guys like Blake and Schutt get like 10 mins a game
    I don’t buy this. Giving some guys a few more minutes won’t keep them from hitting the portal if their main motivation is playing a major role and their prospects look questionable for the next year.

Kansas, Carolina and Duke all played tight rotations this past year. That is par for the course. The best teams have the best players and they play a ton. College ball is structured such that there is (almost) always a huge drop off from 7 to 8 to 9 in the rotation.

Guys like Blake and Schutt develop in practice until they win a spot in the rotation and then need to keep fighting to keep and expand that spot.

I will be very interested to see how Scheyer allocates playing time, but I expect changes to be at the margins, not wholesale.