Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    I think a lot of us wanted Joey to have a big 5th year. In retrospect it is surprising he stayed as long as he did if playing time was his only concern, so likely the Duke degree matters to him. I hope he ends up somewhere with starting or 6th man type minutes and has a lot of fun!

In pure basketball terms, this gets a "meh" from me. This is a guy who played almost no meaningful minutes in March over his four years. He seems like a nice guy, but a limited basketball player who just never really developed. I wish him the best and hope he finds playing time somewhere.

The only thing remotely surprising here is the timing. I don't know why he didn't just announce before the deadline. I can't imagine anyone led him to believe that he was going to start next season. Still, I suppose things got more real lately with AJ Green coming for a visit. Joey would certainly be behind Green/Keels in the rotation, and might have to battle with Catchings and Schutt for bench minutes.

I have to say that the Senior Night thing is a total non-issue for me. It was rumored at the time - and reported by Matt Norlander - that Joey was coming back for a 5th season. Joey later even announced that he was returning. It would be silly to do a Senior Night ceremony for someone who wasn't playing his last game in Cameron (for contrast, compare this to Goldwire last year, who went through Senior Night and then later went into the Transfer Portal). It seems obvious to me that Joey planned on coming back, then changed his mind. It happens.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    I completely agree with this. Don't really understand why so many here are so freaked out.

Oh, and Joey got to be on the cover of SI, too (with an assist from Zion).
    Yep, a lot of pearl clutching for nuthin.

Quote Originally Posted by devilirium View Post
    Forgot to edit...It is a bit of a big deal for the amount of institutional knowledge/leadership that was lost with Joey leaving (and I hate that) , but the Senior Day snafu was really an oversight given what occurred during that week--media coverage, alumni/player arrangements, etc and so forth. It was unlike any Senior Day that we've had in those respects.

Quote Originally Posted by devilirium View Post
    Seconded. Next game!
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by SkyBrickey View Post
    I’m just sad Joey didn’t break through and become a big contributor. This is a kid that loves Duke and always had potential. I wanted that fairytale ending for him.
    I feel the same way. I always wanted him to break out. We have so many one and done guys, it's nice to have some Jr's and Sr's to root for. (Jeremy Roach is now that guy)

Quote Originally Posted by dukesouthbasement View Post
    I think a lot of us wanted Joey to have a big 5th year. In retrospect it is surprising he stayed as long as he did if playing time was his only concern, so likely the Duke degree matters to him. I hope he ends up somewhere with starting or 6th man type minutes and has a lot of fun!
    Well said.

I wish Joey nothing but the best. I'm sure the basketball part of his journey at Duke didn't play out as well has he had hoped. I hope he finds a landing spot where he can really enjoy playing and have a good year. I also hope that he recovers well from the off season surgery. Although he could frustrate me at times, his effort was there and he always seemed to have a good attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    In 2021-22, Joey Baker shot 40.5% from three, on 7.3 three-attempts per 40 minutes. For his career, Joey shot 37.9% from three, on 7.7 three-attempts per 40 minutes. Exactly what didn't materialize?
    It was the defense and other skills that never materialized. Baker was always a one-dimensional player and teams took away that dimension fairly easily. But he always could shoot. Just wish he had been able to get the other parts of the game consistently working, too.

I do question who is advising him on his decisions tho. He burned his redshirt for basically no reason his freshman year, skipped out on senior night honors because he wanted to come back and then decides to leave *after* the deadline so now he's at the mercy of the NCAA to get a waiver.

Goodbye and Thank You Joey!

You deserve to start somewhere.

Any chance he would want to finish up with Nate?

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    I do question who is advising him on his decisions tho. He burned his redshirt for basically no reason his freshman year.
    Wait…..Baker burned his redshirt?? I hadn’t heard that! 😉

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Wait…..Baker burned his redshirt?? I hadn’t heard that! 😉
    *Grabs a box of popcorn*

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Any chance he would want to finish up with Nate?
    Good call.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

The Joey Baker to Auburn could make sense. Auburn needs a bona fide outside shooter. Their guards are all back, and they have replaced their bigs in the portal, but need a good wing shooter. He would fit the bill nicely. Auburn plays up tempo, shoots a lot of 3’s (very poorly) and he may be able to calm some of the chaos in their offense. They definitely need a competent spot up shooter.

He is an Atlanta area kid, 2 hours from campus, and probably knows a lot of people there. It could work.

Joey Baker, Fayetteville, NC?

Quote Originally Posted by Aladuke View Post
    T
    He is an Atlanta area kid, 2 hours from campus, and probably knows a lot of people there. It could work.
    Are you thinking of Alex O'Connell?

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Are you thinking of Alex O'Connell?
    Yep. Old brain showing it’s wear. Auburn still needs a wing shooter, no matter where he’s from.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Joey Baker, Fayetteville, NC?
    You're both wrong. Joey Baker is from Southern California, where he played at Mater Dei with the Wear twins and scored more than 3,000 points in high school. Shame about the transfer - I predict he ends up at Nova.

Quote Originally Posted by phaedrus View Post
    You're both wrong. Joey Baker is from Southern California, where he played at Mater Dei with the Wear twins and scored more than 3,000 points in high school. Shame about the transfer - I predict he ends up at Nova.
    According to GoDuke.com, Joey Baker went to Trinity Christian School in Fayetteville, NC. Joey Baker is also nine years younger than the Wear twins. Unless your post is a joke of some sort?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    According to GoDuke.com, Joey Baker went to Trinity Christian School in Fayetteville, NC. Joey Baker is also nine years younger than the Wear twins. Unless your post is a joke of some sort?
    Maybe thinking of Taylor King? (Who did make his way to Nova, but didn't end up there.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

He was talking about Taylor King. I happened to see back to back games at Mater Dei featuring King, Kevin Love and Nolan Smith when they were high school seniors. I think, but am not sure, that King’s team played Love’s. Either way, no one could stop Love and Smith looked great on a stacked Oak Hill squad.
    Carolina delenda est