Page 50 of 77 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast
Results 981 to 1,000 of 1523
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    IMHO, where the H got run over by the last operating Hudson Hornet.
    I rode in that one back in '59

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    But what about for folks that work for them? Is he really a customer or a spokesperson.
    Correct, a spokesman is someone who is not an employee but an independent contractor. And a customer is someone who is purchasing product. This short term lease (if that is what it is) would likely fall under the guise of a influencer who is getting paid - with the compensation being the right to use the product for a specified period of time. Unless they frame it as a gift. Which would likely be an issue with the NCAA (I assume) as I assume that gifts of this nature are not permitted. Either way it is a taxable benefit. And any insurance would not be covered under a general liability policy.

Regardless, Jeremy has a very fast and expensive car. Hopefully he does not do what a lot of 19 year olds do – kind of like what Okafor did. As my father told me when I was 16 – there is a reason why parents do not give stupid young men very fast cars.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by 1991 duke law View Post
    Regardless, Jeremy has a very fast and expensive car. Hopefully he does not do what a lot of 19 year olds do – kind of like what Okafor did. As my father told me when I was 16 – there is a reason why parents do not give stupid young men very fast cars.
    My first car did 0-60 in 30 seconds.
    Go Volkswagen!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    My first car did 0-60 in 30 seconds.
    Go Volkswagen!
    That "bug" was my second car. First car? Remember the Datsun? Pre-cursor to Nissan... 6-60 in maybe a minute? OH the memories.

I don't have the link handy (it's everywhere if you want to find it), but Saban has accused Tex A&M of buying "every player on the team."

Interesting person to be complaining about recruiting inequity.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I don't have the link handy (it's everywhere if you want to find it), but Saban has accused Tex A&M of buying "every player on the team."

Interesting person to be complaining about recruiting inequity.
    So, given how much discussion there has been on this issue, I'm really surprised no one is jumping on this Jimbo/Saban spat.

It's all over national media.

So, given how much discussion there has been on this issue, I'm really surprised no one is jumping on this Jimbo/Saban spat.

It's all over national media.
    Sounds like Jimbo won't even take Saban's phone calls... Yikes. I think Jimbo is making it more personal myself. He called him some specific things without referring by name. Yes, Nick "started it" but has since indicated he shouldn't have called out specific schools and went out of his way to say they aren't doing anything against the rules, he's just against how NIL has been overtaken by collectives and wants federal legislation to regulate it because he thinks that aspect of NIL is bad for the sport.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/33945548/texas-football-coach-jimbo-fisher-rips-alabama-coach-nick-saban-nil-accusations-some-people-think-god

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Sounds like Jimbo won't even take Saban's phone calls... Yikes. I think Jimbo is making it more personal myself. He called him some specific things without referring by name. Yes, Nick "started it" but has since indicated he shouldn't have called out specific schools and went out of his way to say they aren't doing anything against the rules, he's just against how NIL has been overtaken by collectives and wants federal legislation to regulate it because he thinks that aspect of NIL is bad for the sport.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/33945548/texas-football-coach-jimbo-fisher-rips-alabama-coach-nick-saban-nil-accusations-some-people-think-god
    I mean, from a personal perspective, I love watching SEC football coaches accuse one another of cheating.

If no one is interested here, I'll just grab my popcorn and head to other message boards.

Bomani (I know) has an interesting take, saying that what is really making certain people upset, is that all of a sudden, the money is going to young men instead of "adults" - coaches, parents, shoe companies, boosters, etc kept a pretty tight circle. Now, it's 18 year old kids benefitting, which will rile up a certain group of folks.

I mean, from a personal perspective, I love watching SEC football coaches accuse one another of cheating.

If no one is interested here, I'll just grab my popcorn and head to other message boards.

Bomani (I know) has an interesting take, saying that what is really making certain people upset, is that all of a sudden, the money is going to young men instead of "adults" - coaches, parents, shoe companies, boosters, etc kept a pretty tight circle. Now, it's 18 year old kids benefitting, which will rile up a certain group of folks.
    Yes, I think this is something people are calling out, but someone like Saban is suggesting not that he's against athletes profiting/making money (he said "I'm not against NIL"), but against schools/alumni forming org's that effectively do "pay for play" with NIL as a guise as he thinks that's not in the best interests of the sport (whatever that means, I suppose). He went out of his way to say Jimbo/A&M are NOT cheating, but are following the rules as they exist today but that he doesn't like it and the rules should change, bahaha.

Not to completely beat a dead horse on a topic that has been discussed ad nauseum here, but this whole situation again makes me question whether we truly want Dear Old Duke to be a part of this. Trying to be in an arms race with these clowns does not seem like a battle we can win or necessarily want to win.

I am generally not an NIL fan for basketball because I think that a scholarship plus a moderate stipend (more than what they used to get, but not a small fortune) is sufficient, and if you don't think so, go to the G League or somewhere else, as there are other avenues available. I struggle more with football since there is basically no option but to go to college. I think some regulation is necessary, but the NCAA has clearly proven that it is not the organization to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Not to completely beat a dead horse on a topic that has been discussed ad nauseum here, but this whole situation again makes me question whether we truly want Dear Old Duke to be a part of this. Trying to be in an arms race with these clowns does not seem like a battle we can win or necessarily want to win.

I am generally not an NIL fan for basketball because I think that a scholarship plus a moderate stipend (more than what they used to get, but not a small fortune) is sufficient, and if you don't think so, go to the G League or somewhere else, as there are other avenues available. I struggle more with football since there is basically no option but to go to college. I think some regulation is necessary, but the NCAA has clearly proven that it is not the organization to do so.
    I mean, you could draw parallels (some) between Saban and K, as far a college success. But I can't imagine K burning, say, Jim Larańega at Miami for sketchy NIL deals to the national press. And if he did, can you even IMAGINE the blowback from the national media?

I mean, you could draw parallels (some) between Saban and K, as far a college success. But I can't imagine K burning, say, Jim Larańega at Miami for sketchy NIL deals to the national press. And if he did, can you even IMAGINE the blowback from the national media?
    Wasn’t Fisher formerly an assistant to Saban? It would be more like Coach K burning say, Mike Brey. And no, I agree with you - I can’t imagine the blowback that would generate!

Quote Originally Posted by SavDukeGrad View Post
    Wasn’t Fisher formerly an assistant to Saban? It would be more like Coach K burning say, Mike Brey. And no, I agree with you - I can’t imagine the blowback that would generate!
    It was clearly more of a dig at Fisher than it was about Texas A&M paying players. Saban clearly has an issue with Fisher, whether it be Fisher defeating Saban or Fisher turning down the Alabama coordinator job.

I think the best parallel to basketball is Coach Knight crapping on Coach K. And we've seen that.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

This is way to fair to Saban. Easy for him to play the "I didn't really mean it, shouldn't have said that sorry" card now, but that was clearly a shot ay Jimbo and Jimbo is right to be mad about it...can't unring the bell as they say. Saban knew what he was doing.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ople-think-god
    This Jimbo-Saban reparte feels personal, and it's unseemly. IMO, they're both right and both wrong, but probably no need to air it out in public. On the other hand, they both raise things that are issues now and will need to be addressed sooner than later. I heard on the Rich Eisen show that NIL stands for "Now It's Legal". Folks like Jimbo and A&M are taking advantage of what is now effectively legal. To others, it's perceived as "buying" players, but what do you expect A&M to do? They're taking advantage of a system that now allows you to entice players out of HS and the portal with dollars. It's easy for Saban to say that it is buying a team, but how many schools in the last 10 years had the #1 recruiting class up until this year? By my count, two (Bama and Georgia, maybe OSU depending on the ranking entity). It's capitalism. Jimbo & A&M have the resources and are using them to gain an advantage. I can't fault him or the school for that.

FWIW, my $0.02 on what will happen to college sports in the next 5 years (forgive me if this has been covered ad nauseam in this thread):
    1. There will be increasing governance and regulation, and it won't come from the NCAA, which has proven to be completely impotent and darn nearly obsolete. It will likely come from the P5 schools (in football) breaking away and joining together to create rules of engagement, with a players representative entity (maybe unions, maybe collectives) having a seat at the table to collectively bargain terms, such as spending caps and modes of compensation.
    2. Schools will contract with players over the term of their stay in school. As a result, high school players will likely have agents representing them (again, maybe collectives or other agencies). Could we see a marquee prospect like an Arch Manning sign an eight-figure contract with a school over three years? Heck yeah.
    3. Conferences will negotiate their own TV contracts, but the biggest 5 to 8 will have to break away and create/manage rules for NIL. And Coach K is right - there needs to be a commissioner of the "league", and the league needs to drive better and faster decision-making. Maybe one league for football, one for basketball, and one for the rest. If conferences that influence the dollars more (i.e., SEC and B10) have a greater say, so be it. That's capitalism. That's fair. But NIL also enables a smaller school to land marquee talent if they play it right (see Deion Sanders at Jackson St., although that may be less about NIL).

Where does Duke fall into all of this? Time will tell. But I do think the rich will get richer. Schools with the financial resources (outside of individual mega-boosters) can and should take advantage of offering the best NIL packages. if they're smart, schools in major metro areas and schools with national followings need to take advantage.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Interesting article. Overall it's an acknowledgment of the mess that NIL is, and an acknowledgment that there's no way to fix it.

“There are some concerning trends,” Southeastern Conference Commissioner Greg Sankey told Yahoo Finance. “We're not seeing name image and likeness activity — we're seeing just straight payments. And I think it's important that we recenter ourselves on what's supposed to be happening here and the desire to keep that activity out of recruitment to benefit young people economically but to do so in a healthy way.”
    https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/s...174126956.html
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by simplyluvin View Post
    FWIW, my $0.02 on what will happen to college sports in the next 5 years (forgive me if this has been covered ad nauseam in this thread):
    1. There will be increasing governance and regulation, and it won't come from the NCAA, which has proven to be completely impotent and darn nearly obsolete. It will likely come from the P5 schools (in football) breaking away and joining together to create rules of engagement, with a players representative entity (maybe unions, maybe collectives) having a seat at the table to collectively bargain terms, such as spending caps and modes of compensation.
    2. Schools will contract with players over the term of their stay in school. As a result, high school players will likely have agents representing them (again, maybe collectives or other agencies). Could we see a marquee prospect like an Arch Manning sign an eight-figure contract with a school over three years? Heck yeah.
    3. Conferences will negotiate their own TV contracts, but the biggest 5 to 8 will have to break away and create/manage rules for NIL. And Coach K is right - there needs to be a commissioner of the "league", and the league needs to drive better and faster decision-making. Maybe one league for football, one for basketball, and one for the rest. If conferences that influence the dollars more (i.e., SEC and B10) have a greater say, so be it. That's capitalism. That's fair. But NIL also enables a smaller school to land marquee talent if they play it right (see Deion Sanders at Jackson St., although that may be less about NIL).

I would emphasize #2 in your prediction. NIL is a mess, but it's necessary to cut the actual athletes into all of this revenue. Though only way out of this mess is set limits, but that could really only be done through collective bargaining. The Supreme Court (rightly, imho) made very clear that the colleges and universities that make up the NCAA are on precarious anti-trust grounds when they get together and simply impose rules on athletes that play for them. They were talking to the NCAA, but I can't see how the most powerful members could break away, create a separate group, and not be subject to the same scrutiny.

-c

Quote Originally Posted by cruxer View Post
    The Supreme Court (rightly, imho) made very clear that the colleges and universities that make up the NCAA are on precarious anti-trust grounds when they get together and simply impose rules on athletes that play for them.
    Not sure I understand why the NCAA should not be allowed to have rules for its athletes.

I think this Alabama SBNation site article by "CB969" is pretty funny in that it assumes something is fishy for every commit A&M got where the individual is not in the immediate area of the country as A&M or where Alabama was involved in also recruiting them. Because how could somebody from Florida or Pennsylvania possibly be interested in going to Texas A&M or ever decommit from Bama?! A bit self righteous...
    https://www.rollbamaroll.com/platfor...cruiting-class

For the record, I think NIL/money was absolutely a big factor for A&M in getting this monster recruiting class, but simply found the explanations for why things are "fishy" to be pretty comical.

I think this Alabama SBNation site article by "CB969" is pretty funny in that it assumes something is fishy for every commit A&M got where the individual is not in the immediate area of the country as A&M or where Alabama was involved in also recruiting them. Because how could somebody from Florida or Pennsylvania possibly be interested in going to Texas A&M or ever decommit from Bama?! A bit self righteous...
    https://www.rollbamaroll.com/platfor...cruiting-class

For the record, I think NIL/money was absolutely a big factor for A&M in getting this monster recruiting class, but simply found the explanations for why things are "fishy" to be pretty comical.
    Agree, fishy is an odd term. A&M offered them guaranteed contracts/payments and Bama didn’t match.

As soon as the “super conference” concept is better defined with no NCAA involvement, then the quaint concept of class enrollments can be disbanded. I hope Duke doesn’t follow this lead.