Page 41 of 121 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    To repeat what's often been cited: Memphis was 20-5 in the regular season when Ja was injured and Tyus was the starter. Now it's 21-5.
    Pretty sure they lost game 4 without Ja

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    Yeah, Marcus Smart with some rocks down the stretch - Holiday with huge plays, Portis on the O-glass was a monster down the stretch. Once the Bucks got Grayson off the court, the Bucks made their comeback.

No doubt, Grayson was having a tough time on defense for a 5 minute stretch there. But he could be contributing much more of they tried to get him the ball a bit more off the double teams. Watch his play off the ball. He is open so much and the Bucks force up very tough shots in the paint.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I totally agree with you. There are obviously a lot of moving parts, but I’m curious what teams might be a good fit for him if he is aiming to be a starter?
    Some candidates --

• Pistons - I mean, they had Cory Joseph and Killian Hayes as their PG starters... nuf said.
    • Washington Wizards - ESPN says Thomas Satoransky is the starting PG. Needless to say, Tyus would be a massive upgrade.
    • Houston - Though they played Kevin Porter Jr at PG a lot this year, most NBA watchers think his future is at the SG. Aside from him they've got the corpse of Dennis Schoeder and little else.
    • Celtics - Though Smart is a great defender, he is clearly not a great facilitator or shot-maker on offense. Worth noting that they are already paying Derrick White and Smart like starting PGs so for Tyus to make sense here, they would need to move at least one of those guys.
    • Bulls - I'm not sold on Lonzo as the starter on a contender. His ATO is barely 2-1 and though he is shooting better from 3, he's not a good shot creator. He has also been very injury prone.
    • LA Clippers - I think Tyus would be an upgrade on Reggie Jackson and Terrance Mann.
    • LA Lakers - They are trying to move Russ and even if they don't, I think Tyus would fit a lot better with Lebron and AD than Russ does.
    • Utah - Mike Conley is gonna be 35 and is really showing signs of wear and tear.
    • Knicks - Burks and Quickley are both nice players, but are they starting PGs on a good NBA team? The fact that Randle led the team in assists tells you a bit about the quality of the playmaking NY is getting at the PG.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    To repeat what's often been cited: Memphis was 20-5 in the regular season when Ja was injured and Tyus was the starter. Now it's 21-5.
    Point taken but those numbers are off slightly- Tyus only started 23 games this year. Either way the team did very well without Ja.

I meant that I wanted to see how he did in the playoffs as the starter.

Phoenix would be great spot for Jones. Paul at 37 needs to play fewer minutes.The 2 of them together could share minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by RetireVergaJersey View Post
    Phoenix would be great spot for Jones. Paul at 37 needs to play fewer minutes.The 2 of them together could share minutes.
    You might be onto something. But I doubt Memphis will let him get away unless his market value has gotten too great for them to be able to afford as a backup.

On another note, I would like to see the Celtics trade Marcus Smart. Maybe I’m not seeing straight in the moment because I’m so disappointed in how he played last night. However, think he’s playing at less than 100% physically, so it might not be a fair evaluation of him.

That being said, I’ve never been a big fan of his, mainly because he takes a fair number of bad shots, he’s not a good shooter, his handle is just okay, his passing is just okay, and he’s not particularly quick. I don’t think he has any business being the starting PG on a team that has aspirations to win the championship.

Now then, is Tyus Jones the answer? Probably not because he’s a bit undersized and he’s not a great shooter. But I would still love to have him on the team, though it doesn’t solve the Celtics starting PG issue.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Some candidates --

• Pistons - I mean, they had Cory Joseph and Killian Hayes as their PG starters... nuf said.
    • Washington Wizards - ESPN says Thomas Satoransky is the starting PG. Needless to say, Tyus would be a massive upgrade.
    • Houston - Though they played Kevin Porter Jr at PG a lot this year, most NBA watchers think his future is at the SG. Aside from him they've got the corpse of Dennis Schoeder and little else.
    • Celtics - Though Smart is a great defender, he is clearly not a great facilitator or shot-maker on offense. Worth noting that they are already paying Derrick White and Smart like starting PGs so for Tyus to make sense here, they would need to move at least one of those guys.
    • Bulls - I'm not sold on Lonzo as the starter on a contender. His ATO is barely 2-1 and though he is shooting better from 3, he's not a good shot creator. He has also been very injury prone.
    • LA Clippers - I think Tyus would be an upgrade on Reggie Jackson and Terrance Mann.
    • LA Lakers - They are trying to move Russ and even if they don't, I think Tyus would fit a lot better with Lebron and AD than Russ does.
    • Utah - Mike Conley is gonna be 35 and is really showing signs of wear and tear.
    • Knicks - Burks and Quickley are both nice players, but are they starting PGs on a good NBA team? The fact that Randle led the team in assists tells you a bit about the quality of the playmaking NY is getting at the PG.
    How about the Pelicans? Graham was barely in the rotation by the end of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    Yep. And now… It really is over.
    The winner of Game 5 in a best-of-seven series tied at two has gone on to win the series 82% of the time in NBA postseason history.

By the way, Giannis Antetokounmpo finished with 40 points and 11 rebounds, with many of his baskets coming at crucial times when Boston was threatening to pull away.

He’s just too good. What can you say?

Quote Originally Posted by darthur View Post
    If GS is as confident as you Steven, I think they need to wake the bleep up! They're good, but they sure aren't as good as they used to be.
    You might be right. Maybe Golden State cannot just turn it on like I’m thinking they can. And when you say they’re not as good as they used to be are you talking about three years ago when they had a healthy Durant on the team?

Regardless, I still think they’re going to win Game 6 at home and could win a series vs Phoenix (assuming Phoenix beats Dallas), though I would favor the Suns.

Quote Originally Posted by JetpackJesus View Post
    Even the Memphis fans look bored.

Give us more Jaren Jackson's ugly 3 from a mile away, please. That's entertaining.

Edit: Just to be clear, I am seriously entertained by Jackson's silly 3's that somehow go in.
    I'm rooting for GSW but Jackson continues to impress. First, as JPJ says, that ugly jump shot works. But he's almost 7' tall and can score in the paint and plays good defense. This is the perfect example of why I get frustrated with coverage of games. The only player on Memphis that gets covered is Jah because he makes a few big plays a game. Meanwhile Jackson is a game change and Bane let the league in 3 point shooting. So unless you're a big time fan of the NBA (or specifically of Memphis), you have no idea about these guys.

Quote Originally Posted by darthur View Post
    Great game by Memphis. Flat-out embarrassing game from Golden State, following 3 embarrassing quarters last game -- one where they were just lucky that Memphis was also bad.

If GS is as confident as you Steven, I think they need to wake the bleep up! They're good, but they sure aren't as good as they used to be.

Disclaimer: I gave up on watching at halftime tonight. Yuckkk.
    So I saved the game on my DVR and was really looking forward to watching it. I watch most games once my wife goes to sleep or once she is going to sleep. I put on this game and the GSW didn't even show up. That was an embarrassing performance. Soft, ineffective defense, no shooting. Kaminga started and was just not good. You'd think that giving this opportunity he'd be really amped to prove himself. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't get off the bench next game. Steph and Klay just played poorly and shot poorly. Of course, I didn't end up watching the whole game...not a great way to end my day. Even if GSW lost, I would have appreciated a good game.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    How about the Pelicans? Graham was barely in the rotation by the end of the year.
    They have CJ McCollum playing a fair bit of PG for them and they love what pesky Jose Alvarado brings to the table as a backup PG. I think McCollum will be the PG even more next year when Zion returns because they have to play rising young defensive star Herb Jones and there just isn't room for a PG if you have CJ, Herb, Ingram, Zion, and Valanciunas.

I'm not saying New Orleans is a terrible fit, but I think other situations make more sense if Tyus goes elsewhere (you know Memphis wants to bring him back!).

The better question is which teams have cap room who also have a need for a PG. New Orleans is in a bad cap spot and won't have room to sign someone like Tyus unless they make a deal to shed some salary.

Indiana and Detroit both have a good bit of room, well over $20 million... though I'm not sure they will target Tyus first with that space.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Some candidates --

I think you can eliminate these targets:

Pistons - Cade Cunningham wants to play PG. If Tyus joins, he is the "second" starting PG at best. Not sure they want him and vice versa
    Houston - they are in build-through-the-draft mode and won't take on any player in their prime who isn't going to get them to the playoffs. They don't want a steady player like Tyus.
    Celtics - not a chance the Celtics bench Smart in favor of Tyus. Smart is a big part of the reason why the Celtics have a historically great defense. Bringing in Tyus would blow up that defensive identity
    Bulls - they're paying Lonzo $20M a year to be their starting PG. They need to move Lonzo to bring in Tyus. If Lonzo was 'meh' on NO and Bulls, would teams actively trade for him?
    LA Lakers - they need to get rid of Russ, Lebron, or AD to a) make enough cap space and b) create a starting spot for Tyus. And the Lakers cannot trade Russ, they don't wanna trade AD, and do they really want to bring in Tyus if Lebron bolts/asks for a trade?

I think Washington, LA Clippers, Utah, and the Knicks make a lot more sense. I love the idea of Tyus starting for the Clippers and Utah. Those two make the most sense to me.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    I think you can eliminate these targets:

Pistons - Cade Cunningham wants to play PG. If Tyus joins, he is the "second" starting PG at best. Not sure they want him and vice versa
    Houston - they are in build-through-the-draft mode and won't take on any player in their prime who isn't going to get them to the playoffs. They don't want a steady player like Tyus.
    Celtics - not a chance the Celtics bench Smart in favor of Tyus. Smart is a big part of the reason why the Celtics have a historically great defense. Bringing in Tyus would blow up that defensive identity
    Bulls - they're paying Lonzo $20M a year to be their starting PG. They need to move Lonzo to bring in Tyus. If Lonzo was 'meh' on NO and Bulls, would teams actively trade for him?
    LA Lakers - they need to get rid of Russ, Lebron, or AD to a) make enough cap space and b) create a starting spot for Tyus. And the Lakers cannot trade Russ, they don't wanna trade AD, and do they really want to bring in Tyus if Lebron bolts/asks for a trade?

I think Washington, LA Clippers, Utah, and the Knicks make a lot more sense. I love the idea of Tyus starting for the Clippers and Utah. Those two make the most sense to me.
    The Knicks (or at least their fans) seem pretty optimistic about Quickley to the point where I don’t think they would give Jones big bucks to replace him. I think someone also mentioned Burks above but he is not really relevant.

This is why I asked the original question - first, because there are a number of people here who know more about the NBA than me, and second, because it seems like there is a very limited number of landing spots for a high priced, starting role.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Some candidates --

I've seen some chatter amongst Pistons' fans that we might try to target either Jalen Brunson or Tyus in the offseason. Frankly, I don't see the fit. This season showed that Cade is best as a PG (experiments with him playing off ball with Killian didn't work... but Killian did show some signs of life when he was the primary ballhandler for the second unit), and paying big bucks for a potential backup PG doesn't make sense for the Pistons' timeline. I think this is more wishful thinking from Pistons' fans wanting to see the team spend big rather than anything realistic.

The more likely focuses of the Pistons' this offseason will be 1) Evaluating the future of the frontcourt, which will probably involve signing Marvin Bagley to a reasonable deal (he played quite well once we got him out of Sacramento, including some solid chemistry with Cade), 2) Likely dealing Jerami Grant and turning him into a younger asset and/or draft ammo, 3) Hitting their high lottery pick out of the park, and 4) Finding a starting SG (Cade is locked in at point, Bey looks like a long term solution as a 3-and-D SF, and Stewart and Bagley, along with a potential draft pick, would be a solid front court). I don't see a PG in that plan.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    The Knicks (or at least their fans) seem pretty optimistic about Quickley to the point where I don’t think they would give Jones big bucks to replace him. I think someone also mentioned Burks above but he is not really relevant.

This is why I asked the original question - first, because there are a number of people here who know more about the NBA than me, and second, because it seems like there is a very limited number of landing spots for a high priced, starting role.
    Yes. This is very, very true.

Tyus Jones is in an unfortunate spot: a good (but not great) starter who is elite at protecting the ball, very good at playmaking, and solid at scoring. Do you pay $20M for a player like that? Will teams reserve funds for Tyus, or is it more likely they wiff on a star free agent and then panic by spending that money on Tyus?

And would Tyus rather be a starter for a crap team (like Washington) or a back up for an up-and-coming/elite team (like Memphis)? Would Tyus be willing to sacrifice ~$5M a year to be on a better team?

Lots of interesting questions for Tyus. I hope he has a really competent agent.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    I've seen some chatter amongst Pistons' fans that we might try to target either Jalen Brunson or Tyus in the offseason. Frankly, I don't see the fit. This season showed that Cade is best as a PG (experiments with him playing off ball with Killian didn't work... but Killian did show some signs of life when he was the primary ballhandler for the second unit), and paying big bucks for a potential backup PG doesn't make sense for the Pistons' timeline. I think this is more wishful thinking from Pistons' fans wanting to see the team spend big rather than anything realistic.

The more likely focuses of the Pistons' this offseason will be 1) Evaluating the future of the frontcourt, which will probably involve signing Marvin Bagley to a reasonable deal (he played quite well once we got him out of Sacramento, including some solid chemistry with Cade), 2) Likely dealing Jerami Grant and turning him into a younger asset and/or draft ammo, 3) Hitting their high lottery pick out of the park, and 4) Finding a starting SG (Cade is locked in at point, Bey looks like a long term solution as a 3-and-D SF, and Stewart and Bagley, along with a potential draft pick, would be a solid front court). I don't see a PG in that plan.
    Scott, as you undoubtedly know, over the past 14 seasons the Pistons have made the playoffs only three times (2008, 2015, 2018), and each of those times they were swept 4-0 in the first round.

I respect you for sticking with them through all of that. 👍

And would Tyus rather be a starter for a crap team (like Washington) or a back up for an up-and-coming/elite team (like Memphis)? Would Tyus be willing to sacrifice ~$5M a year to be on a better team?
    Yeah, I think a return to Memphis is easily the most likely option for Tyus. He has shown he can run with Morant at the same time and that he can be a premiere backup PG too. If Memphis gives him a raise to the low teens, suspect Tyus would take that and be quite happy.

Meanwhile, it is worth noting that Tyus most certainly will not be the premiere free agent this summer. Bradley Beal and Kyrie both have player options they could take to test the free agency waters (so does Harden, but I suspect he will opt in), Zac Lavine is a free agent. Jalen Brunson is a free agent who could attract even more interest than Tyus. Gary Payton II is going to have suitors (and I think the Warriors will not be able to afford to bring him back). And then there are restricted free agents like Ayton, Miles Bridges, Anferee Simmons, and Colin Sexton.

Yes. This is very, very true.

Tyus Jones is in an unfortunate spot: a good (but not great) starter who is elite at protecting the ball, very good at playmaking, and solid at scoring. Do you pay $20M for a player like that? Will teams reserve funds for Tyus, or is it more likely they wiff on a star free agent and then panic by spending that money on Tyus?

Lots of interesting questions for Tyus. I hope he has a really competent agent.
    Poor guy will have to manage at 13-15M a year. Maybe they can give him a little longer contract to make up the difference.

I think someone will throw starter money at Tyus, and I don’t think it will be Memphis. Not sure current cap issues tell us much since those will change noticeably between now and July.

I still like the Celtics as a landing spot. They’re starting Grant Williams in the playoffs. Move Smart off the ball, bring Williams off the bench. Last night was Exhibit A of why Smart shouldn’t be their primary playmaker.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Poor guy will have to manage at 13-15M a year. Maybe they can give him a little longer contract to make up the difference.
    Yeah at some point, isn't is basically like monopoly money and you care more about the franchise fit/city/chance of success? Maybe not...but I can't even wrap my brain around $15M a year as a construct...you still have your agent pit teams against each other to ensure close to market rate, but I'd think other factors play a large role with these salary levels.