Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Does it look like we have assembled a juggernaut of a WBB team? It would be wonderful to be a top-ten program again.
    No, we aren't a juggernaut. We're a quality team. My guess is we'll be ranked pretty solidly by season's end, but I'm guessing a ranking somewhere around #10 is at the top end of our range. Mid-teens is probably more likely. Ashlon Jackson looks to be the real deal, though, and if we can land more top-tier recruits like that, I do think the program can get to be a contender in a year or two. It's hard to overstate how deep a hole we were in, though. There is less parity in the women's game, so the difference between #1 and #10 is probably just as big or bigger than the difference between being on the bubble and #10.

Guess it's official, no more mining of the transfer portal.

https://goduke.com/news/2022/5/6/wom...23-season.aspx

I had hoped for Lattimore, but either she said no (I can't find that she has landed anywhere yet) or Kara felt she had to pull the trigger with Corosdale if Lattimore was waffling. Summer classes start in 3 days. Corosdale is probably more polished, but we would have had 3 years of Lattimore vs. just 1 of Corosdale. Or of course Kara might have felt Corosdale is what she needs right now due to her progress with recruiting.

I am intrigued that Brown and Corosdale have played together, mostly both starting, for 2 years. Hopefully that means instant chemistry and smoother integration into the team.

We're better at every position, either through aging or addition, than we were last year. Possibly significantly better. Definitely top-25, and potentially top-15. We were top-15 last year when our best player got hurt and the wheels came off. Curse you, Syracuse! <shakes fist in general northerly direction> Plus last year was a real hodge-podge, virtually none of the starters had ever played together. Hard to win in basketball when you've got a pick-up team and everybody else is bringing an experienced squad to the arena. At a minimum Shy, Celeste, and Elizabeth (probable starters) have had a year to grow some chemistry.

Time for Kara to make this engine run!

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    We're better at every position, either through aging or addition, than we were last year. Possibly significantly better. Definitely top-25, and potentially top-15. We were top-15 last year when our best player got hurt and the wheels came off. Curse you, Syracuse! <shakes fist in general northerly direction> Plus last year was a real hodge-podge, virtually none of the starters had ever played together. Hard to win in basketball when you've got a pick-up team and everybody else is bringing an experienced squad to the arena. At a minimum Shy, Celeste, and Elizabeth (probable starters) have had a year to grow some chemistry.
    Maybe they were overachieving mid-season and were not top-25 either way by the end of the season. The injury to Celeste didn't help, but others needed to step up and develop and that never happened. Its a low bar to start from so next year can only be an improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    Maybe they were overachieving mid-season and were not top-25 either way by the end of the season. The injury to Celeste didn't help, but others needed to step up and develop and that never happened. Its a low bar to start from so next year can only be an improvement.
    We were legit. We beat #9 Iowa (who ended the season #8) by 15 points. We lost to #1 and eventual national champion South Carolina by 9 (when was the last time we came close to a powerhouse?). We beat #17 Notre Dame. The next game Celeste got injured and we ended the season 6-11. Celeste was averaging 12 and 6 when she went down. When she came back she was nowhere close to that and only in the last few games was getting back to normal.

Very few teams (if any) can overcome losing their best player, and then having them at about 60%. Just look at how UConn played while Bueckers was out.

We were legit. Don't denigrate what this team was accomplishing. And not only are we better at every position now, we're deeper at every position.

We were legit. We beat #9 Iowa (who ended the season #8) by 15 points. We lost to #1 and eventual national champion South Carolina by 9 (when was the last time we came close to a powerhouse?). We beat #17 Notre Dame. The next game Celeste got injured and we ended the season 6-11. Celeste was averaging 12 and 6 when she went down. When she came back she was nowhere close to that and only in the last few games was getting back to normal.

Very few teams (if any) can overcome losing their best player, and then having them at about 60%. Just look at how UConn played while Bueckers was out.

We were legit. Don't denigrate what this team was accomplishing. And not only are we better at every position now, we're deeper at every position.
    didn't we beat usc just just year?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    didn't we beat usc just just year?
    The last time we won was 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    The last time we won was 2016.
    apologies. we beat state in 2020.
    1200. DDMF.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    apologies. we beat state in 2020.
    Well, we woulda beaten SC last season, and in 2018, but those games got cancelled.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

We were legit. We beat #9 Iowa (who ended the season #8) by 15 points. We lost to #1 and eventual national champion South Carolina by 9 (when was the last time we came close to a powerhouse?). We beat #17 Notre Dame.
    Number of wins over top 25 teams (at the time of the game), since 2001:

Coach Kara
    2022: 2
    2021: 0*
    * only played four games (only one game against a top 25 team)

Coach P
    2020: 2
    2019: 0
    2018: 5
    2017: 8
    2016: 0
    2015: 6
    2014: 8
    2013: 10
    2012: 5
    2011: 10
    2010: 8
    2009: 8
    2008: 4

Coach G
    2007: 10
    2006: 8
    2005: 12
    2004: 7
    2003: 7
    2002: 8
    2001: 8

I agree Coach Kara has put together a decent roster. I agree we should be a top 25 team for most or all of next season. I'm not sure what the definition of "legit" is, but I'd say Coach Lawson has some work to do before we rise to the level Duke fans seem to expect.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post

Coach Kara

Coach P

Coach G

I agree Coach Kara has put together a decent roster. I agree we should be a top 25 team for most or all of next season. I'm not sure what the definition of "legit" is, but I'd say Coach Lawson has some work to do before we rise to the level Duke fans seem to expect.
    Hence "Time for Kara to make this engine run!". And your comparisons leave out a lot of information.

Coach G took over a .500 program and built a powerhouse. But you didn't show her 1st 8 seasons, and the seasons you put up for comparison were after she had established the program, reaching the top-10 each of the previous 3 seasons. So she should have been beating top-25 teams regularly by that time.

Coach P took over a top-5 program (Duke had reached the top 5 in 6 of the previous 7 years).

Coach Kara took over a program in free-fall. A good name, but not much else (Duke had not made a Final Four in 14 years, or even an Elite Eight in 7, and had missed 2 of the last 5 NCAAs completely). She was left with a 1-person recruiting class. The previous coach left so late (July, I believe) that it was too late to have a chance at anyone in the next class' top 100 recruits. She managed to get Lee Volker and lucked into Shy (thanks Syracuse, but it still doesn't make up for Celeste's injury ). With the possible exception of Miela, Kara was not left with any players who would start on an upper-half ACC team. Without the portal, I shudder to think of how ugly last season could have been. It was built completely from scratch, this year should be much improved.

I'd even argue Kara took over a more challenging situation than Coach G, considering the "cloud" over the program and the much (MUCH) more competitive state of women's college basketball. Let's give her a few years to reclaim "legitimacy" in more Duke fans' eyes. We're not going to get back to the top-5 in 3 years, that's ridiculous, it may take 5 or even 10. And it also may never happen. I'm gonna enjoy the ride.

Coach Kara

Coach P

Coach G

Coach G started coaching in 2001?!?! Apples to oranges analysis here is comical at best and insulting at worst.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladeeeda View Post
    Coach G started coaching in 2001?!?! Apples to oranges analysis here is comical at best and insulting at worst.
    2001 is merely where he picked up. Goestenkors started at Duke in '92. (Even with the date correction, I don't get your point.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    2001 is merely where he picked up. Goestenkors started at Duke in '92. (Even with the date correction, I don't get your point.)
    Agreed and I didn’t interpret Kedsy’s post as anything negative about Kara- just giving a comparison of where Duke was before her.

We were legit. We beat #9 Iowa (who ended the season #8) by 15 points. We lost to #1 and eventual national champion South Carolina by 9 (when was the last time we came close to a powerhouse?). We beat #17 Notre Dame.
    <list>

Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    I didn’t interpret Kedsy’s post as anything negative about Kara- just giving a comparison of where Duke was before her.
    Given that Kara began her career completely from scratch with a decimated team, the omission of Coach G's early years - i.e. the last time we had a coach who was actually starting from scratch - and the inclusion of Kara's inaugural COVID-shortened, four-game season in a list of otherwise full seasons, is not putting Kara's track record to date in a proper context. Given that kind of manipulation, I'd say the implication is pretty negative.

Also, I'm not sure which Duke fans have the undefined and unachieved level of expectation that Kedsy attributes to them. I'd say the majority of dedicated Duke Women's Basketball fans have aspirations to achieve those heights again, yes. Calling that an "expectation" heading into what amounts to our coach's second season strikes me as somewhat disingenuous and is uncharitable to the current, dedicated fan base, who have stuck with the team through some pretty irrelevant times. There may be some fair weather Duke fans who expect instant success, but most people who follow the team regularly are considerably more realistic about the current prospects.

There is certainly work to be done. But nobody who has been following the team closely had any question about that, so at best, Kedsy's post was simply unnecessary, IMO. At worst, it was inflammatory.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    https://www.espn.com/womens-college-...ach-10-seasons

Big surprise out of nowhere, it seems. Wake just fired head coach Jen Hoover after ten seasons. (Hoover, in statement, mentioned her surprise for being fired "without cause".) Very odd timing.

I thought she got what she could out of a team that typically wasn't very talented, and her recruiting was hurt by an apparent lack of support from the university (and history at the school. Hoover was one of the few all-ACC players all-time at Wake.)

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    https://www.espn.com/womens-college-...ach-10-seasons

Big surprise out of nowhere, it seems. Wake just fired head coach Jen Hoover after ten seasons. (Hoover, in statement, mentioned her surprise for being fired "without cause".) Very odd timing.

I thought she got what she could out of a team that typically wasn't very talented, and her recruiting was hurt by an apparent lack of support from the university (and history at the school. Hoover was one of the few all-ACC players all-time at Wake.)
    Sure is interesting timing. The portal closed 2 weeks ago, did the AD wait so players couldn't jump? Or is there a loophole if your coach is fired?

Edit: According to some very quick research, it appears not. Players are screwed. Thanks AD, I'd say this looks intentional considering this guy's history (only 8 months at Tennessee gotta make you wonder).
    Last edited by dudog84; 05-14-2022 at 09:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    Wow! Kennedy just fiinished her Sophomore year at Oregon State averaging 8 ppg and 6 rpg, starting 21 of 30 games. She has at least 2 years of eligibility remaining, maybe 3 due to covid. She redshirted 2020-21 with an injury but her freshman year was 2019-20 shortened by covid. https://osubeavers.com/sports/womens...edy-brown/8570
    Not sure. Isn't that how we got Shy though?

Sure is interesting timing. The portal closed 2 weeks ago, did the AD wait so players couldn't jump? Or is there a loophole if your coach is fired?

Edit: According to some very quick research, it appears not. Players are screwed. Thanks AD, I'd say this looks intentional considering this guy's history (only 8 months at Tennessee gotta make you wonder).
    From press stories, if there’s a coaching change, the players have a July 1st transfer deadline.

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    From press stories, if there’s a coaching change, the players have a July 1st transfer deadline.
    Thanks. Would have hated to see players manipulated like that. Maybe the AD is not a complete jerk.

Thanks. Would have hated to see players manipulated like that. Maybe the AD is not a complete jerk.
    From many accounts, he is, but not specifically about this.

He was forced out at Tennessee mainly because he was going to hire Greg Schiano as football coach. Schiano, who is back at Rutgers for his second stint, was at Penn State as an assistant when Jerry Sandusky was there. Many didn't want Schiano because he "didn't blow the whistle" on Sandusky's abuse. (Guilt by association, in my view. I don't believe there was any evidence that Schiano was aware of what was going on.)

Related to women's basketball, when he was at Kansas State, he wouldn't let a player transfer to over 100 schools, back when transfers were beholden to the school. While not great, that wasn't uncommon at the time.

I still think the timing of this is terrible, and the way he fired Hoover (at the ACC meetings; he brought her to the meetings apparently knowing he was going to fire her.)