Page 923 of 1110 FirstFirst ... 4238238739139219229239249259339731023 ... LastLast
Results 18,441 to 18,460 of 22195
    Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    My totally scientific theory:
    <45yo likely chills & fever
    >55yo likely sore arm and tired
    45-55yo little of this, little of that
    I think you nailed it. My son, age 41, got his Pfizer booster after 2 Pfizer shots earlier this year. Got the booster at noon, then by late night, chills and fever. Took Tylenol this morning, and felt much better. No real reaction to the first 2 Pfizer shots...

My totally scientific theory:
    <45yo likely chills & fever
    >55yo likely sore arm and tired
    45-55yo little of this, little of that
    What?

After 55yo yo done?

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    My daughter (Duke Sophomore) got her Moderna booster at Duke Student Health today. Her biggest concern was whether her arm would be too sore to cheer properly at Cameron tonight
    Clearly you have raised her right.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    That would mean she got the shot in her left?

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    That would mean she got the shot in her left?
    No, she just couldn't raise it for herself, so freshmanjs came along to do it for her!

What?

After 55yo yo done?
    No, after 55 you’re living your best life, cruising thru vaccine shots while the younguns are wrapped in blankets, sweating and chattering their teeth off.

No, after 55 you’re living your best life, cruising thru vaccine shots while the younguns are wrapped in blankets, sweating and chattering their teeth off.
    Well, that was me, and I am not much younger than that.

What?

After 55yo yo done?
    I've been "over-55" for a long time, and here is how we lick the problem of a Covid vaccine or booster. Many of us take a product like Tylenol every day to combat known afflictions of unknown cause. When we get a shot, we merely up the dose for a day or so -- eliminating the pain and fever almost completely. In my case, I had some lethargy for 12-18 hours, although other less kindly observers thought the effects may have been natural variation within my normal lethargic approach to life.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I've been "over-55" for a long time, and here is how we lick the problem of a Covid vaccine or booster. Many of us take a product like Tylenol every day to combat known afflictions of unknown cause. When we get a shot, we merely up the dose for a day or so -- eliminating the pain and fever almost completely. In my case, I had some lethargy for 12-18 hours, although other less kindly observers thought the effects may have been natural variation within my normal lethargic approach to life.
    Hell. I’ve had lethargy for years and I only reached 55 recently!

My wife - 36 - got boosted on Monday and was struggling until Tuesday night around midnight. She was M-M-P. I'm getting boosted this afternoon and am hoping for a much better reaction. First time around I was just really tired for an afternoon after my second shot.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

I was PPM. Fine for about 24 hours after the booster, then had chills and aches, went to bed, fine in the morning.

My state, IL, has an indoor mask mandate that also includes sports since August. I was curious what the top flight high school basketball looks like and it looks like this:
    Screenshot_20211125-152926.jpg

Pretty ridiculous. Everyone just "wears" the mask on their chins. I mean, basically every other state there are no masks being worn at all but just found it pretty odd that as long as the mask is around someone's ears, it's considered okay by everyone involved. I would imagine teams don't want a competitive disadvantage by wearing masks properly.

Basketball did not take place at all last winter in the state so most top players joined travel leagues in WI or IN (although they did start it back up this spring) or even moved states to help their recruitment. Same with football but that's trickier given not something like AAU and it's outdoors, so no masks required -- it also took place in the spring last year instead of fall.

Fasten your seat belts...

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-59418127

New heavily mutated variant B.1.1.529 in South Africa raises concern

Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Yes

Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    https://www.bbc.com/news/health-59418127

New heavily mutated variant B.1.1.529 in South Africa raises concern
    Very concerning. Just when I was starting to feel more comfortable, at least for those who are fully vaccinated and boosted. Ugh.

New variant

Here is a longer piece on the new variant, for those who can stomach reading it: https://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2021...side-risk.html

Warning: there is a lot of public policy discussion in this piece, and a lot of speculation. I'm linking it only because there is also some interesting (but scary) information about the variant.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Here is a longer piece on the new variant, for those who can stomach reading it: https://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2021...side-risk.html

Warning: there is a lot of public policy discussion in this piece, and a lot of speculation. I'm linking it only because there is also some interesting (but scary) information about the variant.
    Well that ruined my morning.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Very concerning. Just when I was starting to feel more comfortable, at least for those who are fully vaccinated and boosted. Ugh.
    This sounds really bad.
    Is it likely that a new vaccine can be developed for this strain soon?

Mr. Market appears to be spooked by this.

Yep

Quote Originally Posted by jtelander View Post
    This sounds really bad.
    Is it likely that a new vaccine can be developed for this strain soon?
    That's the good news. Here's what YLE has to say (her post makes me feel a lot better):

"Third, if we need another vaccine, we can do this incredibly quickly. Thanks to the new biotechnology, mRNA vaccines are really easy to alter. Once the minor change is made, only 2 dozen people need to enroll in a trial to make sure the updated vaccine works. Then it can be distributed to arms. Because the change is small, an updated vaccine doesn’t need Phase III trials and/or regularity approval. So, this whole process should take a max of 6 weeks. We haven’t heard from Moderna or Pfizer if they’ve started creating an updated vaccine, but I guarantee conversations have started behind closed doors."

https://yourlocalepidemiologist.subs...variant-b11529

Really frustrating to see you post such a sensationalized and alarmist article. It's one of the worst I've seen posted on here. If you follow the twitter thread on BloomLab that is literally linked inside the article, you'll see that it reaches very different conclusions: a) not clear that monoclonal antibodies won't work, b) not clear that vaccines won't work and c) not clear that transmissibility is high. The writers are intentionally fearmongering. Of course, the variant is a big concern, but that article is awful.