Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    In the 7 and a half seasons since Clawson took over (2014), Duke has 11 30+ point losses while Wake has 5.

4 of Wake's 5 have come against top 5 teams (#1 FSU, #5 Louisville, #3 Clemson, #4 Clemson, unranked UNC). They have avoided such losses at all in 2017, 2020, and (so far) 2021, and have never had two such losses in the same season.

1 of duke's 11 came against a top 5 team (#2 Alabama, plus #21 UNC, #15 Notre Dame, #9 Miami from the top 25) with the remainder coming against unranked teams (including Wake Forest). 2014 and 2017 are the only years we have avoided such a loss, and we have had at least two such losses for 3 seasons in a row (counting this season). Presumably the reason more of our blowout losses don't come at the hands of highly rated teams is simply that we don't play them as often as Wake does (I am now more sure than ever that Wake has a much tougher road in the Atlantic than we have in the Coastal, as well).
    Dukelifer was comparing Clawson's record to Cut's FIRST 8 seasons @Duke, not the overlapping ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Dukelifer was comparing Clawson's record to Cut's FIRST 8 seasons @Duke, not the overlapping ones.
    Well, in that specific post, ok, but he's doing both.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Certainly Wake is trending better but both have the same number of winning records over the past 7 seasons (not including this one) and Wake has not had a 9 win season in that time. When Clawson took over he was 3-9 for his first two seasons. Duke is struggling of late for sure- but just looking at recent history

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Yes exactly. Very similar starts but Clawson has a longer runway which is why I expect he will be gone or Wake will need to pay him a lot next season. Cut was also popular after his first 8 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    In the 7 and a half seasons since Clawson took over (2014), Duke has 11 30+ point losses while Wake has 5.

4 of Wake's 5 have come against top 5 teams (#1 FSU, #5 Louisville, #3 Clemson, #4 Clemson, unranked UNC). They have avoided such losses at all in 2017, 2020, and (so far) 2021, and have never had two such losses in the same season.

1 of duke's 11 came against a top 5 team (#2 Alabama, plus #21 UNC, #15 Notre Dame, #9 Miami from the top 25) with the remainder coming against unranked teams (including Wake Forest). 2014 and 2017 are the only years we have avoided such a loss, and we have had at least two such losses for 3 seasons in a row (counting this season). Presumably the reason more of our blowout losses don't come at the hands of highly rated teams is simply that we don't play them as often as Wake does (I am now more sure than ever that Wake has a much tougher road in the Atlantic than we have in the Coastal, as well).
    All this is fair- but the records are the records and you play who is in front of you. I thought people were complaining about wins and loses and not competitiveness in those wins and losses. But even with a new coach- I don’t expect Duke to blow away the Costal competition.

All this is fair- but the records are the records and you play who is in front of you. I thought people were complaining about wins and loses and not competitiveness in those wins and losses. But even with a new coach- I don’t expect Duke to blow away the Costal competition.
    But it would be nice to not get blown away. Or knocked back. (Sorry)

There is a lot of ground we could cover in between "repeatedly lose by 30-40 points" and "blow away the Coastal competition*".

*Worth noting that you conjured that out of thin air, as nobody is asking for, expecting, or demanding that kind of performance.

Ther is absolutely no truth to the rumor that the Blue Devil mascot decommitted from next year’s football team.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    Ther is absolutely no truth to the rumor that the Blue Devil mascot decommitted from next year’s football team.
    This year's mascot is too short and fat to play football, even at Duke. (Seriously, he has a beer belly this season.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    This year's mascot is too short and fat to play football, even at Duke. (Seriously, he has a beer belly this season.)
    Me too.

Red face Blue Devil Mascot this year

Actually, I wondered what happened to last year's Blue Devil Mascot, did this year's Mascot eat him?

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    If Cut is terminated; and still not convinced, I vote for Butch Davis (at Florida something). He makes slightly more than $1 Mil and that hiring would be entertaining for the Triangle.
    Can't see Butch Davis at all. Isn't he like 70?

Youth. Duke needs youth.

Youth will temper expectations and more than likely invigorate recruiting.

For a point of reference, Dabo Swinney was 40 when he took over Clemson's program - with his only head coaching experience being the interim head coach for the previous two years.

Unlike with Dabo, Duke should hire a defensive minded coach. The identity change Duke football needs.

More aggression. Less finesse.

More Billy Granville, less Daniel Jones.

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post

Youth. Duke needs youth.

For a point of reference, Dabo Swinney was 40 when he took over Clemson's program - with his only head coaching experience being the interim head coach for the previous two years.

Unlike with Dabo, Duke should hire a defensive minded coach. The identity change Duke football needs.

Although older than when Dabo took over at Clemson, Bill Clark (age 53) is the head football coach at UAB, has a background in defense, and resurrected UAB after their brief hiatus. His age could possibly keep him with a P5 program, if successful, for a long stretch.
    The bonus is, he’s an Alabama native so there wouldn’t be a needed learning curve in deciphering his accent.

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post

Youth. Duke needs youth.

My post was somewhat in jest, but entertainment value would be out the roof/ceiling😀. I do like your suggestions.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    It's too bad that Scottie Montgomery didn't succeed at ECU, because I liked his offense while at Duke.
    A younger black coach would be a very smart hire, but unfortunately Scottie isn't the answer.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

It's too bad that Scottie Montgomery didn't succeed at ECU, because I liked his offense while at Duke.
    A younger black coach would be a very smart hire, but unfortunately Scottie isn't the answer.
    I really wanted him to knock it out of the park at ECU and then come back and take over for Cut after a few years of seasoning, but yes clearly he isn't the guy (although I think he was a particularly bad fit for ECU and would have done better just about anywhere else).

I wouldn’t write Scottie of entirely—the guy they hired to replace him hasn’t done any better. Now that it’s in a more competitive conference ECU can’t keep up with more national schools in urban settings.

I love Scottie’s passion for Duke and the two stints he had served in the NFL would look great to recruits. If he could bring an experienced coaching staff with him, through NFL contacts, I would listen to what he had to say if I was the AD.

Quote Originally Posted by Farlan View Post
    I wouldn’t write Scottie of entirely—the guy they hired to replace him hasn’t done any better. Now that it’s in a more competitive conference ECU can’t keep up with more national schools in urban settings.

I love Scottie’s passion for Duke and the two stints he had served in the NFL would look great to recruits. If he could bring an experienced coaching staff with him, through NFL contacts, I would listen to what he had to say if I was the AD.
    Scottie will have the most up to date c0ntacts in the NFL.

Scottie left ECU in shambles. The Pirates hired Mike Houston from James Madison. Houston had led the Dukes 2x to the FCS (1-AA) national Championship game, winning it all once. No comparison whatsoever.

Scottie at ECU

Quote Originally Posted by TheTrain View Post
    Scottie left ECU in shambles. The Pirates hired Mike Houston from James Madison. Houston had led the Dukes 2x to the FCS (1-AA) national Championship game, winning it all once. No comparison whatsoever.
    I live twenty miles from Greenville, and followed Scottie’s time at ECU very closely. Train is spot on here. He’s a terrific fella, but given what I saw during his tenure as HC, Duke does not need him in that position.

I would welcome Scottie back as OC. He absolutely should not be a candidate for the head coaching position.

If it were up to me, I would consider a move to a triple-option scheme. It's a system that has been proven to be a talent equalizer. Paul Johnson at GT has shown that you can win at a fairly high level with that approach, although it does limit you in recruiting. If we acknowledge that Duke is not likely going to recruit in the top half of the ACC anyway, the triple option is a way of being competitive with less talent. Navy, Army, and Air Force all have accomplished coaches who are in their mid-50s. Some basic searching indicates that Calhoun (Air Force) and Monken (Army) make around $1 million/year, while Niumatalolo (Navy) makes around $2 million. Duke certainly has the money to offer any of the three; whether they'd be interested, I don't know. Ultimately, I doubt Duke goes down that road. The triple option has developed something of a stigma in big-time college football, and most seem to want something flashier.

I think the much more likely option is to hire a young coach who has succeeded at the G5 level. Perhaps we can find our own Dave Clawson. Honestly though, coaching hires are a crapshoot.