Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    I agree that sometimes even the experts, in any given field, can be wrong — though I cannot recall an example of vaccine experts being demonstrably wrong about a vaccine.

That being said, I know with certainty that the experts are right infinitely more often than are the non-experts. Once you accept that reality the choices become easy.
    But not exclusive.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    I agree that sometimes even the experts, in any given field, can be wrong — though I cannot recall an example of vaccine experts being demonstrably wrong about a vaccine.

That being said, I know with certainty that the experts are right infinitely more often than are the non-experts. Once you accept that premise the choices are easy.
    The problem is the decision can't be between <long term issue with the vaccine> and <no long term issue with the vaccine>, as then there would never be a justification for taking the risk.

It's between <long term issue with the vaccine> and <long term issue with covid>....and even given the effectively 0% of a long term issue with the vaccine, the chance that there is an outcome that's worse than the very real chance of significant complications of covid is orders of magnitude smaller than the base chance that there is an issue with the vaccine.

Given an option between something we're almost certain won't be detrimental, and something that demonstrably is, i'll take the former.
    April 1

Cool. Now Howard Stern is raging about Kyrie.

What a world.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post

What a world.
    Howard Stern is still going? Wow.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post

-jk
    I stopped listening a few years ago. So repetitive. But it was a headline on the NYPost site this evening. They deserve each other.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

This thread is going to need to change to “drawing in the Duke program” to “…the league”. Lots of focus on Kyrie during the halftime commentary of Bucks-Nets. It’s already a bit much and it’s the first game of the season.

Maybe Kyrie can coach the Washington State football team in his newly found spare time …….
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Maybe Kyrie can coach the Washington State football team in his newly found spare time …….
    He can't afford the pay cut.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    This thread is going to need to change to “drawing in the Duke program” to “…the league”. Lots of focus on Kyrie during the halftime commentary of Bucks-Nets. It’s already a bit much and it’s the first game of the season.
    Just watched the TNT halftime report. Kenny sort of defended Kyrie, saying he had empathy but not sympathy for him. He used the word "comfortability" several times - not sure if that is a real word - UNC education for you. Charles then gave him a beat down and said that it isn't about you, it is about the people around you. Shaq landed somewhere in the middle but closer to Charles. Adam Silver said he should get the vaccine - I thought he would be more "no comment" but he seemed pretty clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
    He can't afford the pay cut.
    Somehow I think he’d manage.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Just watched the TNT halftime report. Kenny sort of defended Kyrie, saying he had empathy but not sympathy for him. He used the word "comfortability" several times - not sure if that is a real word - UNC education for you. Charles then gave him a beat down and said that it isn't about you, it is about the people around you. Shaq landed somewhere in the middle but closer to Charles. Adam Silver said he should get the vaccine - I thought he would be more "no comment" but he seemed pretty clear.
    Thank god for Charles Barkley, he was great.

Not sure we can make fun of any other school's education in a Kyrie thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post

What the heck? It’s always on point - in all threads, forums, and discussions of all time - to make fun of the University of North Carolina Cheats so-called educational system.

Kyrie or not, that’s always in season and on point.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post

Kyrie is nowhere to close to our most infamous alum! We've got Nixon and the inventor of CAPTCHA internet security.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Kyrie is nowhere to close to our most infamous alum! We've got Nixon and the inventor of CAPTCHA internet security.
    Luis Van Ahn! Great guy. Also invented duolingo.
    April 1

What a world.

-jk
    I stopped listening a few years ago. So repetitive. But it was a headline on the NYPost site this evening. They deserve each other.
    Alert: Hijack -- I'm a big fan of Howard Stern and he is the best interviewer in the business right now. Part of it is his format (he can spend 1-2 hours per interview) and part of it is that he asks questions that no one else wants to. Besides that, his commentary on politics, the world (particularly his shows on and after 911, which captured how most of us were feeling in a way that was genuine and real), the entertainment industry, COVID-19, etc. is honest and raw, and his personal stories are candid, hilarious, and self-deprecating. Since committing himself to therapy over the last decade, he's a very different radio personality than many remember. OK, hijack over.

Howard's comments about Kyrie (and also JJ Redick, because apparently Kyrie was on a JJ Redick podcast a few years ago in which JJ challenged the existence of dinosaurs and Kyrie readily agreed) were cringeworthy since he said multiple times that Kyrie graduated from Duke and that Duke's rankings should be knocked down 20 points if someone like Kyrie could graduate. I get it, he was spewing off the top of his head and no one corrected him, but I felt embarrassed. This is not a good look for Duke at all. It won't matter in terms of admissions or anything and it will eventually pass, but right now it's a stain.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Alert: Hijack -- I'm a big fan of Howard Stern and he is the best interviewer in the business right now. Part of it is his format (he can spend 1-2 hours per interview) and part of it is that he asks questions that no one else wants to. Besides that, his commentary on politics, the world (particularly his shows on and after 911, which captured how most of us were feeling in a way that was genuine and real), the entertainment industry, COVID-19, etc. is honest and raw, and his personal stories are candid, hilarious, and self-deprecating. Since committing himself to therapy over the last decade, he's a very different radio personality than many remember. OK, hijack over.

Howard's comments about Kyrie (and also JJ Redick, because apparently Kyrie was on a JJ Redick podcast a few years ago in which JJ challenged the existence of dinosaurs and Kyrie readily agreed) were cringeworthy since he said multiple times that Kyrie graduated from Duke and that Duke's rankings should be knocked down 20 points if someone like Kyrie could graduate. I get it, he was spewing off the top of his head and no one corrected him, but I felt embarrassed. This is not a good look for Duke at all. It won't matter in terms of admissions or anything and it will eventually pass, but right now it's a stain.
    Color me confused: How can someone be "the best interviewer in the business" if he misstates a basic fact and he/his staff won't correct it?

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post

Well, Kyrie never "gradudated" from Duke (or any college). Certainly he attended Duke and maybe that was the point. It doesn't matter where somebody goes to school or even perhaps how seemingly educated they may seem on paper -- they can still be a bit crazy as it relates to conspiracy theories....

Color me confused: How can someone be "the best interviewer in the business" if he misstates a basic fact and he/his staff won't correct it?

-jk
    It wasn't an interview. He was riffing. His staff can't spot check everything he says off the cuff. Very different than the research and prep work he and his staff do for an interview. I would encourage you to listen to his interview of Hillary Clinton and his various interviews of Paul McCartney.
    Rich

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    Luis Van Ahn! Great guy. Also invented duolingo.
    Yes! And I was just kidding about him being infamous. CAPTCA can be mildly annoying when you fail repeatedly as I often do.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Well, Kyrie never "gradudated" from Duke (or any college). Certainly he attended Duke and maybe that was the point. It doesn't matter where somebody goes to school or even perhaps how seemingly educated they may seem on paper -- they can still be a bit crazy as it relates to conspiracy theories...
    I agree, in my opinion the Duke connection with Stephen Miller is much for damning, but the Kyrie situation is getting a lot more publicity.
    Rich