Team Captains 2021-22

Congrats to Wendell and Joey! I am surprised/pleased that the team elected Joey. His passion on the court can be a big plus if he has a breakout season. I expect Wendell to really step up this year, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
    Congrats to Wendell and Joey! I am surprised/pleased that the team elected Joey. His passion on the court can be a big plus if he has a breakout season. I expect Wendell to really step up this year, too.
    Don’t jinx it ……
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

You're surprised that the only senior on the team was elected captain? Really? Not saying Joey has not earned it, but picking him and junior Wendell to be this year's captains seems like a no-brainer. Had it been anyone else, that would have been really surprising.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    You're surprised that the only senior on the team was elected captain? Really? Not saying Joey has not earned it, but picking him and junior Wendell to be this year's captains seems like a no-brainer. Had it been anyone else, that would have been really surprising.
    Yes, a bit surprised. Yes, he's a senior, but Joey's been inconsistent throughout his career. Merely being a lone senior, even on a young team, is not a guarantee as was evident from last season when I thought that it was a no-brainer that Goldwire should be a captain. Pleased, because I think Joey is passionate about the team and communicates that from the bench and when he's on the floor. Pleased, also, that his teammates value him that highly.

we will witness baker's break out year....mark it down
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Yes, a bit surprised. Yes, he's a senior, but Joey's been inconsistent throughout his career. Merely being a lone senior, even on a young team, is not a guarantee as was evident from last season when I thought that it was a no-brainer that Goldwire should be a captain. Pleased, because I think Joey is passionate about the team and communicates that from the bench and when he's on the floor. Pleased, also, that his teammates value him that highly.
    If there is one thing I have learned from speaking to many former Duke players over the years it is that leadership is not only confined to the guys who are playing the most minutes. I've heard many a scrub or "inconsistent" player referred to as a great leader.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

If there is one thing I have learned from speaking to many former Duke players over the years it is that leadership is not only confined to the guys who are playing the most minutes. I've heard many a scrub or "inconsistent" player referred to as a great leader.
    and many if not most of the opportunities to exercise leadership will not be on game day.
    1200. DDMF.

Jason, I think we're agreeing on the idea that Joey will make a fine captain. I know we agree that the captaincy does not automatically go to the player with the most floor minutes and that intangibles matter Moore. (Too easy, couldn't pass it up)
    I think we're disagreeing on my reaction of a 'bit surprised'. That seems like a silly thing to waste energy/pixels on.

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    we will witness baker's break out year...mark it down
    I am with you. All the promise is realized this year.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    All the promise is realized this year.
    Imo, this can happen only if Baker has worked on his handle and footwork. I do expect he’ll play solid minutes and hit some key 3s. But perimeter players need a decent handle, which he hasn’t shown so far. Here’s hoping!

Jason, I think we're agreeing on the idea that Joey will make a fine captain. I know we agree that the captaincy does not automatically go to the player with the most floor minutes and that intangibles matter Moore. (Too easy, couldn't pass it up)
    I think we're disagreeing on my reaction of a 'bit surprised'. That seems like a silly thing to waste energy/pixels on.
    Agree, I was a little pleasantly surprised to see Baker as a captain. I agree with Jason that leadership is separate from basketball skill, but I've also heard K talk about how it's hard to be a leader on a basketball team if you're not playing. I hope this means they're seeing enough improvement in Joey that they think he can be a leader on the floor as well as off.

Quote Originally Posted by brlftz View Post
    Agree, I was a little pleasantly surprised to see Baker as a captain. I agree with Jason that leadership is separate from basketball skill, but I've also heard K talk about how it's hard to be a leader on a basketball team if you're not playing. I hope this means they're seeing enough improvement in Joey that they think he can be a leader on the floor as well as off.
    Joey will be playing a lot more this season due in part to AJ’s injuries. Would not be surprised to see Bates Jones in the mix

Quote Originally Posted by brlftz View Post
    I would argue that "hard" is different from impossible. If one earns that title despite not showing as much as one would like on the court, I think that says a lot about that person's character. The general doesn't have to be the best marksman or be able to do the most pushups. It would definitely help to establish rapport, but shows significant character if you can get men to follow you without it.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    I would argue that "hard" is different from impossible. If one earns that title despite not showing as much as one would like on the court, I think that says a lot about that person's character. The general doesn't have to be the best marksman or be able to do the most pushups. It would definitely help to establish rapport, but shows significant character if you can get men to follow you without it.
    I agree, and we've seen great examples of leadership by captains who provided leadership mostly off the floor. I thought Jack was an awesome captain even though he hardly played at all by the end of his career. And we've had other key players show leadership by accepting diminished roles - Nate and Amile come to mind. (possibly Quinn too, but he was still pretty central, just not in the way he expected). It takes a strong person to pull it off if you're not central on the floor, but it can be done.

I have no idea where to put this post... might as well go here.

Is Joey's arm tattoo new? I don't recall seeing it before?

Pretty nice ink...

I have no idea where to put this post... might as well go here.

Is Joey's arm tattoo new? I don't recall seeing it before?

Pretty nice ink...

My 5 minute instagram investigation reveals that he had the tattoo as of July 2 (His promo video post you can barely see it under his shirt sleeve) but he didn't have it at the end of last season. So maybe a summer thing? I wonder if the leaves shake when he flexes.