Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raleigh BBQ

Raleigh BBQ

Will be in Raleigh early November for granddaughter’s soccer tournament
    Where is best bbq? Have seen The Pit with great reviews
    Thanks for any advice

https://thisisraleigh.com/best-bbq-in-raleigh/

Sam Jones is a legendary figure. The Pit is good. Not great.

Jump on I-40 and head over to Durham. Backyard BBQ Pit on Hwy 55 is the only “Pit” you should visit.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

The Pit is good. But if you want eastern style gotta drive East to Parker’s BBQ in Wilson. Best I know of.

Dude. Guys. Stick to Raleigh. Focus here people.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    I don’t know of good BBQ in Raleigh. If there is some, The Pit definitely ain’t it.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    I don’t know of good BBQ in Raleigh. If there is some, The Pit definitely ain’t it.
    Sam Jones place is very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    Jump on I-40 and head over to Durham. Backyard BBQ Pit on Hwy 55 is the only “Pit” you should visit.
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    The Pit is good. But if you want eastern style gotta drive East to Parker’s BBQ in Wilson. Best I know of.
    Drive to RDU, catch a flight to Austin, TX, rent a car, drive to Lexington, TX. Snows is exceptional.

Aww. Nevermind, then.

Quote Originally Posted by mph View Post
    Drive to RDU, catch a flight to Austin, TX, rent a car, drive to Lexington, TX. Snows is exceptional.

Aww. Nevermind, then.
    I do support this.

Quote Originally Posted by mph View Post

Aww. Nevermind, then.
    C’mon. Texas does brisket and other weird, yet tasty, things with beef. NC does real BBQ.

-jk

https://thisisraleigh.com/best-bbq-in-raleigh/

Sam Jones is a legendary figure. The Pit is good. Not great.
    That list included Olde Time BBQ, so it has credibility with me (that would be my recommendation, although the address might technically be Cary, it is right on the border).

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    That list included Olde Time BBQ, so it has credibility with me (that would be my recommendation, although the address might technically be Cary, it is right on the border).
    Never been, but thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    I grew up on Parker's back when you could only find Eastern (aka "real") BBQ east of Raleigh. Realistically, I have to admit that there are many more venues that produce acceptable barbeque now than there were back then. Still, its nice to see someone acknowledge a real touchstone of true BBQness. CD, my memory thanks you.

Section 15

Quote Originally Posted by Section 15 View Post
    I grew up on Parker's back when you could only find Eastern (aka "real") BBQ east of Raleigh. Realistically, I have to admit that there are many more venues that produce acceptable barbeque now than there were back then. Still, its nice to see someone acknowledge a real touchstone of true BBQness. CD, my memory thanks you.

Section 15
    Plus cornbread sticks!

Smokey's just off 540 in Morrisville is awesome. You could drive by without noticing. Focus is on food not decor. Looks like it could fall down at any minute.
    Very popular with RTP crowd.

vinegar on a pig is not BBQ...it's just sour pig...

if you're looking for something OTHER than sour pig, i suggest City BBQ in Cary (a small crossroads just outside of Raleigh) they have excellent smoked meats with a variety of sauces to apply.

if you want REAL BBQ, as mentioned before, you'll need a plane...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

^Surely this is a violation of forum policy.

Quote Originally Posted by mpj96 View Post
    Plus cornbread sticks!
    Only if you want to break your teeth! Those things are hard and virtually inedible. Think they would make good construction material. Mrs Section 15 (who won't eat meat) tried the fried flounder at Parker's once and now refuses to ever go back. Said it tasted like cardboard. I wouldn't know as the only reason to go to a real BBQ place is for the Q and the slaw, and maybe the sweet tea. Anyone who thinks that sides or deserts are part of the experience, just doesn't understand.

And that goes double for any sauce other than red pepper soaked apple cider vinegar. The point of it is to cut the grease in the meat, not to obscure the taste of the whole hog. All those sweet, clammy, gooey concoctions that people slather on their meat either just hide badly cooked BBQ or shows that the person eating it doesn't really like BBQ. Anything else is heresy. (and moonpie, I will pray for you)

I have spoken (well... written)

Section 15
    Last edited by Section 15; 09-27-2021 at 11:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    ^Surely this is a violation of forum policy.
    don't kill the messenger
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Smokey's Just Closed??

Quote Originally Posted by roge054 View Post
    Smokey's just off 540 in Morrisville is awesome. You could drive by without noticing. Focus is on food not decor. Looks like it could fall down at any minute.
    Very popular with RTP crowd.
    From its web site:
    Well, it is often said all good things must come to an end. It has been a great 14+ years serving you BBQ and fixins and getting to know you! Due to circumstances beyond our control, we have had to make the difficult decision to close operations on Friday, September 3, 2021.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013