Page 45 of 51 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 MLB Season

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    The Redbirds are rolling. Lester has been a great addition to the club. The lineup is mashing right now!
    Is it my imagination or does it look like the Cardinal hitters have a new approach in hitting? I know the team is still hitting home runs but it seems like they are not swinging wildly at pitches out of the strike zone. It also looks like the pitching coach(Maddux) has helped both Lester and Happ.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Is it my imagination or does it look like the Cardinal hitters have a new approach in hitting? I know the team is still hitting home runs but it seems like they are not swinging wildly at pitches out of the strike zone. It also looks like the pitching coach(Maddux) has helped both Lester and Happ.
    I have noticed that too. O’Neill and Goldschmidt have shown great plate discipline, notably. Edman is a speedster who has 40+ doubles. Arenado is the power guy for the Redbirds. They not only seem to have a more disciplined approach to hitting, they have blazing speed on the basepaths. Bader, Sosa, Edman, and O’Neill are lightning fast. They hit a lot of doubles and move runners first to third on singles well. Their baserunning was pretty questionable as a team the past few years. This year, it seems they’ve cleaned that up, too.

The Royals are having a typical Royals season - not very good but not in last place. Yeah us! However, Salvador Perez just broke Johnny Bench's home run record for catchers that was set in 1970. Way to go, Salvy!

The Redbirds are rolling. Lester has been a great addition to the club. The lineup is mashing right now!
    Glad to see Lester pitching well in St Louis. On the other side of that trade, despite the Nats finding new and interesting ways to lose games each night, Lane Thomas has been a very nice addition, hitting .302/.390/.548 with OPS+ of 156 in 33 games at the leadoff spot. Hopefully this continues to be a win-win trade.

For the first time since 2001, the Cardinals have won 10 games in a row. Their 10th consecutive win came last night in Milwaukee when they defeated the Brewers 2-1. The win pushed the record of the Redbirds to 81-69 and 4 games up on the Reds, 4.5 games up on the Phillies, and 5 games up on the Friars for the NL’s 2nd wild card spot with 12 games remaining. The magic number for the Cardinals to clinch a playoff spot is 9.

Jake Woodford got the win for the Cardinals, throwing 5 shutout innings while allowing 2 hits, walking 1, and striking out 5. The Redbirds will go for the series win tonight in Milwaukee at 6:40 pm CT. Miles Mikolas takes the hill for the Cardinals against Brett Anderson.

Let’s Go Cardinals!

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    Glad to see Lester pitching well in St Louis. On the other side of that trade, despite the Nats finding new and interesting ways to lose games each night, Lane Thomas has been a very nice addition, hitting .302/.390/.548 with OPS+ of 156 in 33 games at the leadoff spot. Hopefully this continues to be a win-win trade.
    The trade has worked out for both clubs. I liked Lane Thomas. He had a rough go with COVID last year and never seemed fully recovered. When healthy, he displayed good pop at the plate and was a smart defender.

Cardinals win 10th game in a row.

The St. Louis Cardinals use small ball offense to take the 2nd game of a 4 game series with the first place Milwaukee Brewers. In the first inning, Tommy Edman leads off the game with a walk, steals 2nd, goes to 3rd on a ground ball and then scores on Tyler O'Neill's sacrifice fly. They score their 2nd run almost the same way. In the 8th inning, Lars Nootbarr takes a walk, steals 2nd and scores on Edman's single to take a 2-0 lead going into the bottom of the 8th inning. That run proved to be very important as Luis Garcia who has been terrific this season has his 2nd bad outing in a row. He allows 1 run on a hit and walk to make the score 2-1. In the bottom of the 9th inning, the Brewers load the bases against Gallegos as he allows a hit and 2 walks but he strikes out the last batter to get his 11th save of the year. Alex Reyes pitched the 6th inning allowing 0 runs while striking out the side. Cabrera pitched the 7th inning striking out 2 hitters.

Jake Woodford pitched his best game of his career for the Cardinals. Jake went 5 shutout innings only giving up 2 hits and a walk. Brandon Woodruff showed why he's Cy Young candidate. He pitched 6 innings of 1 run ball giving up 2 hits and a walk while striking out 10. Small ball beat him. The starting pitchers got the first hit for their teams in this low scoring affair.

Next play(see what I did there) for both teams picks up tonight with Miles Mikolas going for the Cards and Brett Anderson the lefty going for the Brewers. In Miles last game against the Padres, he pitched his best game of the season. He went 5 2/3 innings giving up 0 runs on 3 hits and a walk. Anderson is coming off the 10 day IR.

GoRedbirds!

The St. Louis Cardinals use small ball offense to take the 2nd game of a 4 game series with the first place Milwaukee Brewers. In the first inning, Tommy Edman leads off the game with a walk, steals 2nd, goes to 3rd on a ground ball and then scores on Tyler O'Neill's sacrifice fly. They score their 2nd run almost the same way. In the 8th inning, Lars Nootbarr takes a walk, steals 2nd and scores on Edman's single to take a 2-0 lead going into the bottom of the 8th inning. That run proved to be very important as Luis Garcia who has been terrific this season has his 2nd bad outing in a row. He allows 1 run on a hit and walk to make the score 2-1. In the bottom of the 9th inning, the Brewers load the bases against Gallegos as he allows a hit and 2 walks but he strikes out the last batter to get his 11th save of the year. Alex Reyes pitched the 6th inning allowing 0 runs while striking out the side. Cabrera pitched the 7th inning striking out 2 hitters.

Jake Woodford pitched his best game of his career for the Cardinals. Jake went 5 shutout innings only giving up 2 hits and a walk. Brandon Woodruff showed why he's Cy Young candidate. He pitched 6 innings of 1 run ball up 1 run on 2 hits and a walk while striking out 10. Small ball beat him. The starting pitchers got the first hit for their teams in this low scoring affair.

Next play(see what I did there) for both teams picks up tonight with Miles Mikolas going for the Cards and Brett Anderson the lefty going for the Brewers. In Miles last game against the Padres, he pitched his best game of the season. He went 5 2/3 innings giving up 0 runs on 3 hits and a walk. Anderson is coming off the 10 day IR.

GoRedbirds!
    Good recap of the game. I read somewhere it is just the 13th time in the franchise’s 130 year history that the Cardinals have had a winning streak of 10+ games.

Quote Originally Posted by luvdahops View Post
    Tough as it may be to admit for this Cubs fan, you are spot on here. Wainwright and Yadi are both franchise bedrocks who've managed to age not just gracefully, but productively. The only thing I can really knock with either is Yadi's grooming. These days, the dude usually looks like he slept in a dumpster and came straight to the ballpark.

Btw, I think the Cards are still very much in it for the 2nd wild card spot, and find their playoff probability estimates a bit headscratching. They've still got 6 games left against the Reds, plus a home series with the Padres and 7 of their last 10 games against the reeling Cubs.
    Can't say I'm happy about it, but this post of mine (from 8/23) has aged pretty well...

Good recap of the game. I read somewhere it is just the 13th time in the franchise’s 130 year history that the Cardinals have had a winning streak of 10+ games.
    The franchise record for a winning streak is 14 games, set in 1935 and no I wasn't around then . Four more to go.

GoRedbirds!

The franchise record for a winning streak is 14 games, set in 1935 and no I wasn't around then . Four more to go.

GoRedbirds!
    Cardinals chances to make the playoffs:

Aug 8 - 1.3%
    Sept 8 - 4.7%
    Today - 90.2%

A 10-game winning streak in September can do wonders

Cardinals chances to make the playoffs:

Aug 8 - 1.3%
    Sept 8 - 4.7%
    Today - 90.2%

A 10-game winning streak in September can do wonders
    And the chances of having a 10 game win streak (assuming a spherical cow to simplify the math) are about 1 in 1000.

Make that 11 in a row!

The St. Louis Cardinals rocked the Milwaukee Brewers last night 10-2. Man was that some big rocks they used.

Goldschmidt... 3/4, 4 runs scored, 3 RBI(90), home run #27 and a double, #33.
    O'Neill... 2/5 double #24 and #29 home run. 2 runs scored and 2 RBI.
    Carlson... 2/5 double #30
    Bader 3/5 double #18. Harrison tagged up from 2nd base on a fly ball from Tommy Edman and he scored along with Sosa who tagged up from 3rd base.
    Arenado 2-2 double #33.. Nolan was taken out in the bottom of the 5th inning after developing tightness in his lower back and is day to day.

Miles Mikolas pitched 7 innings giving up 2 runs on 4 hits. This is two straight strong outings from Miles.

There's better news on Jack Flaherty and Dakota Hudson. Yesterday manager Mike Shildt indicated Jack and Dakota might not pitch this season but with encouraging news on both feeling fine after their last bullpen and rehab appearances there's a change in plans. Jack will start the 2nd game of a double header on September 24 when the Cards take on the Cubs in Wrigley Field. He will however be on a short pitch count(around 15 pitches). This will be a bullpen game. Dakota was scratched from his last start not because of injury or setback but the Cardinals want to have him ready as they evaluate their pitching needs with 5 games in 4 days(Sept 23-26). If he's not needed, Dak will probably pitch for Memphis.

The Cardinals won their 11th straight last night, defeating the Brewers in Milwaukee 10-2 to win the series. The win pushed the record of the Cardinals to 82-69 and 4.5 games up on the Reds and Phillies, 6 games up on the Friars for the NL’s 2nd wild card spot with 11 games remaining. The 82nd win for the Cardinals clinched the franchise’s 21st winning season in the past 22 years. Since 2000, the only non-winning season the Cardinals have had was in 2007 when the club went 78-84.

The game featured a sacrifice fly from Tommy Edman that scored runners from 2nd and 3rd base. That was the first Cardinals 2 RBI sac fly in a game since 2009 when Albert Pujols drove in Colby Rasmus and Skip Schumaker in a game vs the Colorado Rockies. Tyler O’Neill stayed hot for the Redbirds, going 2-5 while hitting his 29th HR and driving in 3. Paul Goldschmidt was 3-4, hitting his 27th HR same driving in 3. He now has 90 RBI. Nolan Arenado was 2-2 with 2 RBI before leaving the game with lower back discomfort.

Miles Mikolas got the win tossing 7 innings, allowing 4 hits, 2 ER, and striking out 3. The Redbirds announced Jack Flaherty will be starting one of the games in a doubleheader Friday at Wrigley Field vs the Cubs.

The Cardinals go for the 4-game sweep in Milwaukee today at 1:10 pm CT. Adam Wainwright gets the start for the Redbirds opposite Adrian Houser.

Let’s Go Cardinals!

The St. Louis Cardinals rocked the Milwaukee Brewers last night 10-2. Man was that some big rocks they used.

Goldschmidt... 3/4, 4 runs scored, 3 RBI(90), home run #27 and a double, #33.
    O'Neill... 2/5 double #24 and #29 home run. 2 runs scored and 2 RBI.
    Carlson... 2/5 double #30
    Bader 3/5 double #18. Harrison tagged up from 2nd base on a fly ball from Tommy Edman and he scored along with Sosa who tagged up from 3rd base.
    Arenado 2-2 double #33.. Nolan was taken out in the bottom of the 5th inning after developing tightness in his lower back and is day to day.

Miles Mikolas pitched 7 innings giving up 2 runs on 4 hits. This is two straight strong outings from Miles.

There's better news on Jack Flaherty and Dakota Hudson. Yesterday manager Mike Shildt indicated Jack and Dakota might not pitch this season but with encouraging news on both feeling fine after their last bullpen and rehab appearances there's a change in plans. Jack will start the 2nd game of a double header on September 24 when the Cards take on the Cubs in Wrigley Field. He will however be on a short pitch count(around 15 pitches). This will be a bullpen game. Dakota was scratched from his last start not because of injury or setback but the Cardinals want to have him ready as they evaluate their pitching needs with 5 games in 4 days(Sept 23-26). If he's not needed, Dak will probably pitch for Memphis.
    Excellent recap. I’m stunned Flaherty and Dakota are coming back, but pleasantly excited! I hope Flaherty can come back without any issues this time!

12 wins in a row for the Cardinals

For the first time since 1982, the Cardinals have won 12 consecutive games. Down 4-0 in the first and 5-0 in the 4th, the Redbirds scored 8 unanswered to win 8-5. The win pushed the record of the Cardinals to 83-69 and 5 games up on the Reds and Phillies for the NL’s 2nd wild card spot with 10 games remaining. The Cardinals magic number to clinch a spot in the 2021 MLB Postseason is 6. The Cardinals have now won 14 of their last 15.

Paul Goldschmidt was 3-5 with 2 HRs for the Redbirds. He’s now batting .291 with 29 HRs and 93 RBI this season.

The Redbirds will travel to Chicago to start a 4 game series with the Cubs. Tomorrow, they’ll play a day night doubleheader with games at 1:20 pm CT and the 2nd game at 7:05 pm CT. JA Happ will start game 1 against Justin Steele. Jack Flaherty gets the start in game 2 opposite Kyle Davies.

Let’s Go Cardinals!

thread title

This thread is rapidly becoming 2021 Cardinals Season

I take it that it remains open to all ... to that end I'll note my Tigers have indeed been eliminated, though not to any (recent) slippage of their own (W4, 7-3 L10). They can still summit Mount .500, too, so that's something to shoot for. Oh well - wait til next year, right?

Among my secondary and tertiary rooting interests, I can still hope for a Dodgers and/or Red Sox series. Sox could still choke a playoff berth away, but they've played well of late.

For the first time since 1982, the Cardinals have won 12 consecutive games. Down 4-0 in the first and 5-0 in the 4th, the Redbirds scored 8 unanswered to win 8-5. The win pushed the record of the Cardinals to 83-69 and 5 games up on the Reds and Phillies for the NL’s 2nd wild card spot with 10 games remaining. The Cardinals magic number to clinch a spot in the 2021 MLB Postseason is 6. The Cardinals have now won 14 of their last 15.

Paul Goldschmidt was 3-5 with 2 HRs for the Redbirds. He’s now batting .291 with 29 HRs and 93 RBI this season.

The Redbirds will travel to Chicago to start a 4 game series with the Cubs. Tomorrow, they’ll play a day night doubleheader with games at 1:20 pm CT and the 2nd game at 7:05 pm CT. JA Happ will start game 1 against Justin Steele. Jack Flaherty gets the start in game 2 opposite Kyle Davies.

Let’s Go Cardinals!
    Cards are winning all kind of ways. Checked in on the score and saw they were down 5-1. Thought “hope they can come back.” Seeing their 8-5 win - bullpen throws five shutout innings, Wainwright struggles but Cards come back, Goldy homers twice. Fun times.

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    Cards are winning all kind of ways. Checked in on the score and saw they were down 5-1. Thought “hope they can come back.” Seeing their 8-5 win - bullpen throws five shutout innings, Wainwright struggles but Cards come back, Goldy homers twice. Fun times.
    Fun times to be a fan of the Cardinals right now, for sure. They have officially caught fire. The triumvirate of Goldschmidt, Arenado, and O’Neill is mashing the baseball right now.

Goldschmidt - .291, 29 HR, 93 RBI
    Arenado - .256, 33 HR, 103 RBI
    O’Neill - .270, 29 HR, 70 RBI

With the speed of Edman, Sosa, Bader, and O’Neill they have four guys in various parts of the lineup that put lots of pressure on the defense. When they put the ball in play, they beat out lots of infield singles and take the extra base when they can. They’ve really cleaned up their baserunning, what I like to think of as the “special teams” unit of baseball clubs. The bullpen has been lights out recently too. Garcia has been great and Gallegos has settled in nicely to the closer role. He has 12 saves now. McFarland has been a reliable LHP arm out the pen. I am eager to see how Flaherty does tomorrow at Wrigley. He’ll have hopefully two starts counting tomorrow left in the regular season. If the Redbirds make the playoffs (looking probable), he’ll likely be lined up to get the start (him or Wainwright) in a wild card game.

By the way, I think the club will bus down to Chicago from Milwaukee. Short little trip down I 41.
    Last edited by CameronDuke; 09-23-2021 at 09:09 PM.

Observations.

Cameron pretty much wrapped up the summary of yesterday come from behind win for the Cardinals but here's a few side bars that came from the game.

1) Adam Wainwright didn't have his best game but did get his 2,000 career strikeout, all with the Cardinals. He and the great Bob Gibson are the only two Cardinal pitchers to have at least 2,000 strikeouts in their careers. Adam becomes only the 85th pitcher in major league history to get to that mark. He's had more strikeouts this season than any season since 2014. He's aging well. Adam also reached the 200 inning mark yesterday. The last time he did that was also in 2014. The good Brewer fans and coaches gave Waino a standing ovation on the 2000th strikeout. They're right up there with Cardinal fans as the best in baseball.

2) Paul Goldschmidt continued his hot hitting going 3-5 with 2 home runs. The first tied the game in the 7th inning and he hit a solo home run in the 9th to extend the lead. Goldy is slugging .844 in the 12 game win streak. That's slugging not OPS.

3) The improved St. Louis bullpen pitched 6 scoreless innings and kept the Cards in it until the bats go hot. The Cards had 1 hit in the first 4 innings and Adrian Houser was pitching the second straight good game against the Redbirds and when he left the game, his team was up 5-1, thanks to Tyrone Taylor's 2 home runs. One a grand slam and the other a solo shot. Both came off Adam Wainwright. The Brewer bullpen then gave up 7 runs and the Cards had their 12th straight win.

4) Wild Card standings in the NL. The Phillies and Padres won yesterday and the Reds lost. The Cardinal lead beginning play today: Phillies 4.5 games out and 5 games in the loss column. The Padres are 5 games out and 6 in the loss column and the Reds are 5.5 out and 6 in the loss column.

5) The Cardinals now end the season with the Cubs and Brewers. 3 this weekend in Wrigley, then 3 against the Brewers in St. Louis and end the regular season at home against the Cubs with 3.

GoRedbirds!
    Last edited by jv001; 09-24-2021 at 07:22 AM.