WSJ ranks Duke 5th after the usual suspects

According to the Wall Street Journal:

The Covid-19 pandemic has changed a lot about higher education. But some things remain constant: The top tier of the 2022 Wall Street Journal/Times Higher Education College Rankings is packed with familiar names, with Harvard University claiming the top spot for the fifth straight year.

Stanford University takes the No. 2 spot, followed by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in third, Yale University fourth and Duke University fifth.
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/2022-be...=djemalertNEWS

I know that these sort of rankings don't really have a lot of meaning. Still it's a nice recognition. Having given a lecture at the Carpenter Center (the art building at the "H" school) I would rather talk to Duke students. But then, what do I know?

Section 15

Man, it’s all been downhill since I left…

Lord Ash
    Trinity ‘97

Quote Originally Posted by Section 15 View Post
    According to the Wall Street Journal:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/2022-be...=djemalertNEWS

I know that these sort of rankings don't really have a lot of meaning. Still it's a nice recognition. Having given a lecture at the Carpenter Center (the art building at the "H" school) I would rather talk to Duke students. But then, what do I know?

Section 15
    But it's rankings like this that help keep demand insatiable to pay the $81k estimated cost of attendance at very highly ranked schools.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    But it's rankings like this that help keep demand insatiable to pay the $81k estimated cost of attendance at very highly ranked schools.
    I’m fully expecting a Duke education to be well north of half a million by the time my kids are ready for college in the 2030s.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    I’m fully expecting a Duke education to be well north of half a million by the time my kids are ready for college in the 2030s.
    Per year or total (just kidding, I hope)

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Per year or total (just kidding, I hope)
    Man, who knows, at the current pace…

Ugh.

I had one kid enter Duke in 2016, and I have a freshman there this year. In the intervening five years, the official estimated cost to attend has risen 17.8%. At that growth rate, the total cost to attend 2031-2035 will be over $450,000. You just said 2030s, so if you start even a little later than 2031, you could very well be correct.

BTW, most of the estimated increase is, as you would expect, tuition, which has risen 22.2% in that same span. At the same growth rate, the cost of tuition alone in AY 2031-32 would be $90,484.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    I had one kid enter Duke in 2016, and I have a freshman there this year. In the intervening five years, the official estimated cost to attend has risen 17.8%. At that growth rate, the total cost to attend 2031-2035 will be over $450,000. You just said 2030s, so if you start even a little later than 2031, you could very well be correct.

BTW, most of the estimated increase is, as you would expect, tuition, which has risen 22.2% in that same span. At the same growth rate, the cost of tuition alone in AY 2031-32 would be $90,484.
    a few years ago I crunched the numbers involving my tuition cost 50 years ago increased by the rate of inflation. Unsurprisingly, had tuition increased at the rate of inflation, it would be a bit less than half of what it actually is today.

And more and more people apply to pay it (or a subsidized version thereof).

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post

It’s not even October yet, easy on the horror stories!

It's possible, of course, but predictions don't always work out. I remember that the month my son was born in the 80s that the Wall Street Journal ran an article stating with confidence that by the time newborns were ready for college that the average tuition at a four year private school would be $300,000. I got frantic and started saving like crazy. But, the WSJ was wrong. My son's college (typical NE private college) tuition was *only* $200,000. Saved 100k

As always YMMV

Section 15