Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post

From what I have heard, they have also found a way to balance drawing fans of other teams (since there are tons of grads of all Big 10 schools in Chicago) so the stadium doesn't feel empty without making home games feel like away games.
    Northwestern home games against Wisconsin, Ohio State, and Michigan in particular are basically road games.
    Tons of opposing fans. Funnily enough, in Chicago, there are a ton of sports bars that cater to a particular B1G team...the hardest bar to find is one for Northwestern.

But yeah, most other games at least get a reasonable split of fans.

-Someone who lives half a mile away from Northwestern's football stadium

I concur

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Northwestern home games against Wisconsin, Ohio State, and Michigan in particular are basically road games.
    Tons of opposing fans. Funnily enough, in Chicago, there are a ton of sports bars that cater to a particular B1G team...the hardest bar to find is one for Northwestern.

I went to a couple of Northwestern football games when my daughter was a student there and I agree with this. Northwestern is a relatively small school, especially by Big Ten standards, and usually does not come close to filling up the stadium with its own fans.

One of the games we attended was Michigan at Northwestern, during a very bad year for Michigan. Even in a down year for Michigan, there were as many Michigan fans as there were Northwestern fans.

As a side note, it was one of the worst football games I have ever seen. Both teams were terrible. Pat Fitzgerald is a very good coach and he is a perfect fit for Northwestern, but it's not like he has built a powerhouse there.

FWIW, Cat fans are fairly pessimistic about the upcoming game, though most know nothing about Duke. At least one limping program will get a nice boost on Saturday.

Northwestern has offensive consistency issues but strong performance on special teams:

https://www.insidenu.com/2021/9/13/2...-indiana-state
    Bob Green

This is an excellent article on the history of Duke - Northwestern:

https://www.insidenu.com/2021/9/15/2...n-duke-rivalry
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post

I too live in Evanston about a 5 minute walk from Ryan Field, and on certain Saturdays, I see more opposing jerseys than purple ones. Coach Fitz has built about as strong a program as he can, but all the marketing of "Chicago's Big 10 Team" doesn't seem to have left a mark, even with football being the marquee program at the school (unlike Duke). There seem to be more Wisconsin or Michigan fans in Chicago than NU fans. I am a graduate of both Duke and NU, and while the parallels between the two abound, IMO, the Duke experience is way, way better. I hated my time at NU (and yet I live in Evanston ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ).

^ and of course ND sucks a lot of fandom out of the area, too. I really enjoy visiting Evanston...the fans are nice, the town is easy going...I look forward to going back there.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    ^ and of course ND sucks, but not as bad as unc.
    Fixed it for you.

Collegefootballnews.com does a good job of previewing games...https://collegefootballnews.com/2021...n-game-preview

They see NW prevailing 23-16.

The next two weeks will be something of a litmus test for this Duke Football team. These are 2 of the more winnable games left on the schedule, and we have already dropped one winnable game this season (Charlotte).

Quote Originally Posted by rtnorthrup View Post
    The next two weeks will be something of a litmus test for this Duke Football team. These are 2 of the more winnable games left on the schedule, and we have already dropped one winnable game this season (Charlotte).
    2 out of 3 ain't bad. Would you like some Meatloaf with that?
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

???

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I have no idea if it is play calling or execution but we successfully threw the ball downfield against A&T. Here are four examples off the top of my head:

1 and 2: In first half, two passes to Jalon Calhoun to middle of field with significant yards after catch.
    3: Pass down the sideline to Jake Bobo.
    4. Pass to Nicky Dalmolin to 1 yard line.

Can we pass downfield against a P5 defense? We will find out the next two weeks.

Not sure if I get the point here. Is NC A&T a team that can serve as a useful measure of potential success or improving performance in comparison to Charlotte? Not jabbing, just trying to follow the point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kfanarmy View Post
    Not sure if I get the point here. Is NC A&T a team that can serve as a useful measure of potential success or improving performance in comparison to Charlotte? Not jabbing, just trying to follow the point.
    The offense has to throw the ball downfield to be successful. The point is contained in the last two sentences of my post:

Can we pass downfield against a P5 defense? We will find out the next two weeks.
    Bob Green

Uniform: Blue helmet with Duke in script, blue jersey, blue pants.

https://twitter.com/dukefootball/sta...839030810?s=21

I really like this look. My favorite home combination.
    Bob Green

Uniform: Blue helmet with Duke in script, blue jersey, blue pants.

https://twitter.com/dukefootball/sta...839030810?s=21

I really like this look. My favorite home combination.
    Meh. Script on the helmet is cheesy (greatly prefer the Iron Duke D), and am not a fan of the monochrome/unitard look generally, though at least we have stripes on our pants. Blue jersey, white pants, white or blue D helmet is a much better combo in my view.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by rtnorthrup View Post
    A few weeks ago, going 3-1 in September was the consensus prediction. That "1" didn't come from Charlotte.
    3-1 is still doable, but it got lots harder 2 games prior.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by luvdahops View Post
    Meh. Script on the helmet is cheesy (greatly prefer the Iron Duke D), and am not a fan of the monochrome/unitard look generally, though at least we have stripes on our pants. Blue jersey, white pants, white or blue D helmet is a much better combo in my view.
    I respectfully disagree. I believe the script on helmet dates back to at least the 60’s and maybe before. The wet uniform makes the blue look darker, also a throwback to earlier times. I have been worried for years if the trend toward lighter blue continues we will eventually look like the cheaters down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMeDoIt View Post
    I respectfully disagree. I believe the script on helmet dates back to at least the 60’s and maybe before. The wet uniform makes the blue look darker, also a throwback to earlier times. I have been worried for years if the trend toward lighter blue continues we will eventually look like the cheaters down the road.
    According to this website, the script was used on helmets from 1978-2003 (not generally a banner era for the program), and then once in 2014, and as an alternate since 2017.

http://www.nationalchamps.net/Helmet_Project/

I just think the Iron Duke D is a much better look aesthetically, and that script on helmets is cheesy generally. Only UCLA really pulls it off nicely in my view.

I couldn't agree more on the darker shade of blue (been a pet peeve of mine for awhile as well), but stand by my comments on the monochrome/unitard look overall.

I certainly hope Gary Smith III is available to play tomorrow. His presence would be helpful on the defensive line. Northwestern has a talented offensive line so we need all hands on deck in the trenches.
    Bob Green

Well

I certainly hope Gary Smith III is available to play tomorrow. His presence would be helpful on the defensive line. Northwestern has a talented offensive line so we need all hands on deck in the trenches.
    "All hands on deck in the trenches"? Do trenches have decks?