Page 37 of 82 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast
    [QUOTE=Nugget;1399764]I'd say it's a high, high likelihood that if Baker does not return for 2022-2023 it won't be because Duke is out of scholarships.

[quoTE]
    Even if Scheyer runs the table on the offers reported to be outstanding (to Lively, Mark Mitchell, JJ Starling and Anthony Black -- If we can't get Anthony Black Maybe Jack Black would take a "ship. could be fun.
    Last edited by -jk; 09-11-2021 at 03:16 PM. Reason: fix quote tag

There was a great interview with Joey and his mom earlier this summer where they were both thrilled that Joey was getting a Duke degree. Perhaps there is something more important than playing time.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    You mean cinder blocks aren't an accepted measuring standard?
    Jim, I’m disappointed that you would cast even a tiny bit of doubt on the viability of cinder blocks as a measuring standard.

Please tell me you were just joking.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Jim, I’m disappointed that you would cast even a tiny bit of doubt on the viability of cinder blocks as a measuring standard.

Please tell me you were just joking.
    Literally or figuratively?

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Literally or figuratively?
    Both?

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    We love to litigate, relitigate, and re-relitigate. My point all along was that declaring it to be a mistake was premature, and that a objective perspective wouldn't be possible for several years.
    His choice to play or not. If I had to guess , dude wanted to play.
    Not actually a response to your post. Just a place I thought I could throw this out there.

Coming off his weekend visit to UNC, 2022 SF Tyler Nickel has picked up a flurry of UNC predictions. Nickel has also cancelled his planned visit to Iowa for this coming weekend and will instead announce his pick tomorrow afternoon. The only other school he has visited in Va Tech. His other finalists are Butler and LSU but I think we can all see where this is headed. I'll give you three guesses where this kid if going and the first two don't count.

Nickel is a 6-8, 210 small forward with nice outside touch who is not afraid to mix it up on the interior. He's a decent passer too, meaning Nickel can drop some dimes (sorry, I could not resist). 247 ranks Nickel as a 4-star prospect, the #80 recruit in the class.

If he does as expected and picks the Heels, Nickel would be Carolina's 4th recruit in the class of 2022. They already have PG Seth Trimble (#37 ranked), C Jalen Washington (#31), and C Will Shaver (#136).

As you can see, Hubert is taking a very different tack from what Scheyer is doing in recruiting. Hubert seems to be loading up on a lot of 4-star kids who are likely to be multi-year players versus Duke's continued strategy of grabbing Burger Boys who look like future lottery picks. Will be interesting to see how this all plays out as the two new coaches steer their ships over the next several seasons.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Departure From Roy, Too

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Coming off his weekend visit to UNC, 2022 SF Tyler Nickel has picked up a flurry of UNC predictions. Nickel has also cancelled his planned visit to Iowa for this coming weekend and will instead announce his pick tomorrow afternoon. The only other school he has visited in Va Tech. His other finalists are Butler and LSU but I think we can all see where this is headed. I'll give you three guesses where this kid if going and the first two don't count.

Nickel is a 6-8, 210 small forward with nice outside touch who is not afraid to mix it up on the interior. He's a decent passer too, meaning Nickel can drop some dimes (sorry, I could not resist). 247 ranks Nickel as a 4-star prospect, the #80 recruit in the class.

If he does as expected and picks the Heels, Nickel would be Carolina's 4th recruit in the class of 2022. They already have PG Seth Trimble (#37 ranked), C Jalen Washington (#31), and C Will Shaver (#136).

As you can see, Hubert is taking a very different tack from what Scheyer is doing in recruiting. Hubert seems to be loading up on a lot of 4-star kids who are likely to be multi-year players versus Duke's continued strategy of grabbing Burger Boys who look like future lottery picks. Will be interesting to see how this all plays out as the two new coaches steer their ships over the next several seasons.
    That's also a different tack from what Roy Williams did. Roy loaded up on 5-star, one-and-one done players and turned them into four-year players.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    That's also a different tack from what Roy Williams did. Roy loaded up on 5-star, one-and-one done players and turned them into four-year players.
    That was funny. 😂

And fairly accurate.

Sources are reporting that UNC's recruiting pitch centered around their sway over UNC refs and the ability to employ the "Tyler Rules". This might prove to be too much to overcome for other schools. "Just imagine what I can do without that pesky pivot foot!" said Nickel, who figures to be next the line of Muppets-turned-Tar Heels.

Unrelated, but there are whispers coming out of Durham that Coach-in-Waiting Scheyer is scouring the nation for ballers named Gerald.

I think you may be confusing what you call Hubert's "different tack" with the fact that he has been recruiting a number of the same kids as Scheyer has, but he's gotten little reception...he's after guys like Lively and Mitchell. Just because he isnt geting commitments from five star guys doesn't mean he hasn't been trying. He really has.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I think you may be confusing what you call Hubert's "different tack" with the fact that he has been recruiting a number of the same kids as Scheyer has, but he's gotten little reception...he's after guys like Lively and Mitchell. Just because he isnt geting commitments from five star guys doesn't mean he hasn't been trying. He really has.
    You mean kinda like Roy did?

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    You mean kinda like Roy did?
    Like that I guess. I know he's going after Silent G as we are for 2023...they still want all the top kids they can get, they just aren't attracting as many as they used to.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    This 100%. Look at the offer list for Carolina and then compare that to Duke.

Duke has made offers to 7 players, including Anthony Black, Kyle Filipowksi, Dereck Lively, Mark Mitchell, Jaden Schutt, JJ Starling, and Dariq Whitehead. Of that group, 3 have committed, Mitchell and Starling are both considered strong leans towards Duke, Lively is a bit of a toss up between Duke and Kentucky, and Black has moved out of the picture. It's possible that Duke gets 5 or even 6 of the recruits that received an offer.

UNC has made offers to 17 players. Most of the guys they have gotten to commit have been their backup option or the backup to their backup.

For PG, UNC made offers and were hard after 5-star Skyy Clark (#13 nationally by 247Sports), who committed to Kentucky. They also offered 5-star (#15) Jaden Bradley, who recently released his Final 4 that did not include Carolina. They got a commitment from 4-star Seth Trimble (#37).

For SG, they made an offer to (#8) Nick Smith, Jr., who recently released his Final 4 that did not include Carolina.

For SF, they really wanted 4-star Cam Whitmore (#25), who is deciding this week and had Carolina in his final schools but looks to be heading to Villanova instead. Carolina had already offered Chris Livingston (#6) and Mark Mitchell (#11) but didn't make the final cut for either. Earlier in the summer, they missed on 4-star Justin Taylor (#67) who is off to Syracuse. Nickel may be a good player down the road, but he was like their 5th option.

For the frontcourt, Carolina has also offered Dereck Lively (#1) and appear to be on his short list, where Lively has named Carolina among his Final 7, along with Duke. They did get 4-star Jalen Washington (#31) fairly early on in the recruiting cycle. Washington is considered a skilled and lanky post player, kind of like a more filled-out John Henson. That was a good get for UNC. They also offered and hosted Kyle Filipowski (#14), who has since committed to Duke.

So it's not so much that Hubert Davis is targeting 4-star, multi-year players as he is falling back on those options because their top targets aren't coming through.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    With K still the HC, isn't he for the moment calling the shots when it comes to recruiting? Obviously anyone who signs is going to be playing for Scheyer, but until next year when it's all said and done, I'm not going to read too much into the type of guys that JS is currently landing.

My guess is that not much will change, but I won't be overly surprised if there is a shift.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    With K still the HC, isn't he for the moment calling the shots when it comes to recruiting? Obviously anyone who signs is going to be playing for Scheyer, but until next year when it's all said and done, I'm not going to read too much into the type of guys that JS is currently landing.

My guess is that not much will change, but I won't be overly surprised if there is a shift.
    I suspect K will give advice but let Jon Scheyer decide what kind of players and, therefore, what kind of team he will be coaching.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post

I assume that the reason Coach K announced so early - and the reason that our first offer for the 2022 class was so late - is because Coach K would specifically no longer be making the final decisions on recruiting offers.

I will tell you from conversations I have had with folks who have first hand knowledge of this stuff, Scheyer is making the recruiting decisions at this point and K is playing only a supporting role when the kids come on campus for a visit. The kids who have committed thus far have all spoken extensively about the relationship they are developing with Scheyer. I could be wrong, but I can't think of any of them talking at all about K except in the context of their confidence in Scheyer taking over in 2022.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I will tell you from conversations I have had with folks who have first hand knowledge of this stuff, Scheyer is making the recruiting decisions at this point and K is playing only a supporting role when the kids come on campus for a visit.
    That's helpful, thanks. I wonder if the dynamic around the offices and practice courts feels different this year. I'd imagine that it would have to. Not in any sort of negative way, just a different vibe.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Yes

I will tell you from conversations I have had with folks who have first hand knowledge of this stuff, Scheyer is making the recruiting decisions at this point and K is playing only a supporting role when the kids come on campus for a visit. The kids who have committed thus far have all spoken extensively about the relationship they are developing with Scheyer. I could be wrong, but I can't think of any of them talking at all about K except in the context of their confidence in Scheyer taking over in 2022.
    It's also consistent with what Coach K said about why he was announcing his retirement year in advance. He said something to the effect that he didn't want to recruit players and then retire before they played for him. I'm sure Scheyer Scheyer is the one calling the shots on recruiting this year.