View Poll Results: Who drafted the best team of Dukies?

Voters
131. You may not vote on this poll
  • Donald's team - Zion, Shelden, JJ, Singler, Kyrie

16 12.21%
  • Jason's team - Shane, JWill, Johnny, Elton, Dunleavy

58 44.27%
  • Sam's team - Grant, Christian, Bobby, Marvin, Nolan

57 43.51%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    In addition to their almost mythological status in the history of college bball as individuals, I think it's important that Hurley, Hill and Laettner were teammates and champions together. I don't see an all star collection beating them. Freshmen like Zion, Kyrie and Bagley could perhaps have matured to that level of success, but together the core of that '91-'92 group formed an all-time great college team that won two straight championships. It's almost not fair that one team got all 3 in this exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by brlftz View Post
    In addition to their almost mythological status in the history of college bball as individuals, I think it's important that Hurley, Hill and Laettner were teammates and champions together. I don't see an all star collection beating them. Freshmen like Zion, Kyrie and Bagley could perhaps have matured to that level of success, but together the core of that '91-'92 group formed an all-time great college team that won two straight championships. It's almost not fair that one team got all 3 in this exercise.
    Hey, it was a draft. That is just how it worked out. Meanwhile, I took 4 of the 5 starters on the 2001 national title team (sorry, Los!). All of them played at least 3 years of college ball.

FWIW, I agree that putting freshmen up against juniors and seniors of this quality is almost unfair. It would need to be a truly special freshman like Zion to make it at all palatable.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Elton Brand didn't even make it into the top 10!
    I mean, Brand is clearly the steal of this draft. NPOY, best player on one of the best college teams ever, multiple NBA All-Stars - and he's an afterthought? Adding him to the 2001 championship roster (hey, it would have happened if he stayed through his senior year) puts Jason's team over the top for me.

BTW, is this best as in:
    1. Which team would beat the other two, or
    2. Which team would you pick to fare best during a normal college year and give you the best chance of bringing home a natty?

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    BTW, is this best as in:
    1. Which team would beat the other two, or
    2. Which team would you pick to fare best during a normal college year and give you the best chance of bringing home a natty?
    We did not define what "best" means. I sorta thought of it as "which team would beat the others" and you can hear hints of that during the pod conversation (like when I talked about the value of maybe taking Dhantay Jones as a defensive stopper but then noted that each team is so loaded that stopping one guy wouldn't really net you all that much of an advantage). That said, I leave it up to all of you, the voting public, to determine which team is "best" based on whatever metric you wish to employ.

Quote Originally Posted by phaedrus View Post
    I mean, Brand is clearly the steal of this draft. NPOY, best player on one of the best college teams ever, multiple NBA All-Stars - and he's an afterthought? Adding him to the 2001 championship roster (hey, it would have happened if he stayed through his senior year) puts Jason's team over the top for me.
    The fact that I got Brand after Sam had just taken Bagley is a crime against humanity. But, I think Sam sorta boxed himself in when he put Laettner at the 5. It meant he really could not pick Brand because ain't no way Elton is playing the 4. That was part of the challenge in this contest, slotting guys into proper positions. It became a bit easier with our benches as we could move in a more general kinda fashion and merely needed to make sure we each had at least one bigman and one perimeter sub.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Ok, I ultimately had to give it to Jason, but I'm surprised Sam's team isn't closer in the results. It was a super touch call, but ultimately I felt like Sam's 5th player was a weak link that Jason's squad just didn't have.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Ok, I ultimately had to give it to Jason, but I'm surprised Sam's team isn't closer in the results. It was a super touch call, but ultimately I felt like Sam's 5th player was a weak link that Jason's squad just didn't have.
    You mean Nolan (Sam's 5th pick) or Bagley (his 4th pick)? Seems like Bagley is the more controversial selection.

Sam's team has done really well in the voting this morning. After being well behind Donald last night, he has surged into 2nd place.

I've been in first all along from the very first votes

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    You mean Nolan (Sam's 5th pick) or Bagley (his 4th pick)? Seems like Bagley is the more controversial selection.

Sam's team has done really well in the voting this morning. After being well behind Donald last night, he has surged into 2nd place.

I've been in first all along from the very first votes
    Sorry, I meant Bagley (although I'm not sure Nolan is the best compliment to the big three of Hill/Hurley/Laettner either).

Quote Originally Posted by brlftz View Post
    In addition to their almost mythological status in the history of college bball as individuals, I think it's important that Hurley, Hill and Laettner were teammates and champions together.
    I almost take the opposite approach. The H/H/L team isn't THAT different from the actual 1991 and 1992 teams, which were obviously great... but I think the all-time Duke team has to be better than any one actual Duke team, almost by definition.

The first team is just totally A+ roster construction. An elite ball handler, the 2nd best three point shooter in college basketball history, and the guy who is going to end up as Duke's overall all-time best basketball player by the time his NBA career is done. You can't get a better trio who all do totally different things at different positions. Duke's all time best rebounder/shot blocker and a jack-of-all-trades Final Four MVP as the 4th and 5th option to take care of all your non-scoring needs is perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    I almost take the opposite approach. The H/H/L team isn't THAT different from the actual 1991 and 1992 teams, which were obviously great... but I think the all-time Duke team has to be better than any one actual Duke team, almost by definition.

The first team is just totally A+ roster construction. An elite ball handler, the 2nd best three point shooter in college basketball history, and the guy who is going to end up as Duke's overall all-time best basketball player by the time his NBA career is done. You can't get a better trio who all do totally different things at different positions. Duke's all time best rebounder/shot blocker and a jack-of-all-trades Final Four MVP as the 4th and 5th option to take care of all your non-scoring needs is perfect.
    I think there is a much stronger argument to be made that (in college) Laettner and Hill were better than anyone on Donald's team, with JJ just behind them and Zion slightly behind that.

See, I disagree with this. I think Zion pairing w/ Williams or Boozer is problematic. Zion needs space to operate in the paint; set all sorts of records for his 2-point conversions, conversions after misses, etc. He doesn't function well with a traditional 5; he needs a versatile five that's comfortable unclogging the lane, getting out to the perimeter and serving as an outlet (JJ and Kyrie are obviously perfect here). Christian would have been an ideal pairing, too.

I'm also worried about JJ and Kyrie. Kyrie is an on-the-ball wizard and JJ is an off-the-ball wizard, I'm not sure those two attributes mesh well if Kyrie is works his 1-on-1 magic too much (as he is want to do). JJ and Williams proved a good 2-man game but not good enough to do what players on the other 2 teams did, win it all!

I voted for Jason's. I think they are arguably the best 2-way squad, have the most offensive diversity and would simply fly up and down the floor.

...and the guy who is going to end up as Duke's overall all-time best basketball player by the time his NBA career is done...
    You are expressly not allowed to judge Kyrie based on his NBA success. This is only about these guys while they were wearing a Duke uniform. Obviously, vote for whichever team you want but I strongly urge folks to divorce their opinions from the NBA versions of these players.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    You are expressly not allowed to judge Kyrie based on his NBA success. This is only about these guys while they were wearing a Duke uniform. Obviously, vote for whichever team you want but I strongly urge folks to divorce their opinions from the NBA versions of these players.

Thanks!
    Kyrie was the elite ballhandler in that post, the "guy who is going to end up Duke's all time best basketball player" was referring to Zion. Your point stands regardless, but just for the sake of accuracy/clarity.

For more clarity:

An elite ball handler

Kyrie

the 2nd best three point shooter in college basketball history
    JJ

and the guy who is going to end up as Duke's overall all-time best basketball player by the time his NBA career is done
    Zion

It is very difficult to not pick a team with Hill, Hurley and Laettner. But I didn't like the Bagley pick at all, not over Ferry, Singler, even Dunleavy. It is hard to rate 1 year guys over 3-4 year guys. Especially Kyrie who missed so many games. So in the end I'm picking Jason's team. Best backcourt with JWill and Dawkins, better big man pair with Brand and Ferry, and do-it-all Shane.

Jason
    2. Shane Battier - 4
    5. Jay Will – 1
    8. Johnny Dawkins – 2
    11. Elton Brand - 5
    14. Mike Dunleavy - 3
    17. Danny Ferry - big
    20. Chris Duhon - guard
    23. Jayson Tatum – wing

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    It is very difficult to not pick a team with Hill, Hurley and Laettner. But I didn't like the Bagley pick at all, not over Ferry, Singler, even Dunleavy.g
    If I had to redo this, I absolutely would not have taken Bagley. Y'all have convinced me of that.

Still, though, I like my core, and if Bagley slacks off, Laettner and the gang will take care of him in the locker room at halftime. Bet on that. Vote Sam.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup wherever podcasts are given away for free!

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    It is very difficult to not pick a team with Hill, Hurley and Laettner. But I didn't like the Bagley pick at all, not over Ferry, Singler, even Dunleavy. It is hard to rate 1 year guys over 3-4 year guys. Especially Kyrie who missed so many games. So in the end I'm picking Jason's team. Best backcourt with JWill and Dawkins, better big man pair with Brand and Ferry, and do-it-all Shane.

Jason
    2. Shane Battier - 4
    5. Jay Will – 1
    8. Johnny Dawkins – 2
    11. Elton Brand - 5
    14. Mike Dunleavy - 3
    17. Danny Ferry - big
    20. Chris Duhon - guard
    23. Jayson Tatum – wing
    This assessment resonates with me. Having Brand, Ferry, Battier, Dawkins and JW on the court at the same time would be very hard to top, and Dunleavy, Duhon and Tatum are excellent multi-purpose players to complement that core.

Quote Originally Posted by Dev11 View Post
    If I had to redo this, I absolutely would not have taken Bagley. Y'all have convinced me of that.

Still, though, I like my core, and if Bagley slacks off, Laettner and the gang will take care of him in the locker room at halftime. Bet on that. Vote Sam.
    I agree Bagley isn’t the star of the show but he’s no slouch. Consensus all-American, ACC player and rookie of the year…he could also move with your team no problem.

No earthly or even heavenly way will I everrrrrr vote against Christian Laettner. He will find a way to win.

Good thread and GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by cbarry View Post
    I agree with Donald-- From what I saw of him, Kyrie was one of the best to ever wear a Duke uni.
    Of course, I love to see this!

Quote Originally Posted by Dev11 View Post

I think the key here is that it was a draft with specific rules. We couldn't pick who we thought were the best 8 players ever without regard to position, and I think each of us ended up drafting someone that another person was about to pick (like Jason taking Ferry right before I was set to snag him). That made the draft a bit more interesting and fun, in my mind.

Having said that, my team got size, it's got strength, I'd argue that despite it not having the best defensive player ever, it has the best team defense, it's got space station range from 3, we got NDPOYs, POYs, MOPs, and BOOZE. It's got players who we know play well together and others who we know could have played well together. Finally, it's got the clutch gene and it's got 5 players who could utterly destroy any team in college basketball by themselves in spectacular fashion.

Bet on my team. Vote early, vote often.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA