Page 57 of 165 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967107157 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,140 of 3288
    We’ve been enjoying The White Lotus and Frayed, both on HBO. White Lotus is new and about a group of wealthy visitors at an exclusive Hawaiian resort over the course of a week. Great cast.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    It's a good thing Scarlett Johansson's Black Widow is dead, because I doubt she'd be too eager to suit up for the folks at Disney again, and it might be mutual.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/disney-is...002223380.html
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    It's a good thing Scarlett Johansson's Black Widow is dead, because I doubt she'd be too eager to suit up for the folks at Disney again, and it might be mutual.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/disney-is...002223380.html
    I would have expected that they would have treated the Disney+ Black Widow purchase as equivalent to a movie ticket sale. It sounds like she is getting some compensation for those purchases, at least, based on Disney's response. Will be interesting to see how the case goes. I don't think we have enough information to gauge who is right and wrong here, but my initial sense is that they kind of both are. I'm sure Disney is trying to use this to short-change actors, that wouldn't shock me one bit (and if so, I'm sure the courts will have something to say about that unless they weaseled something into the contract that allows it). On the other hand, I find it basically unbelievable that it cost her $50 mil in earnings. The reason the movie didn't do as well as had been hoped at the box office was that it just turned out to not be that great a movie, and since it didn't have any large bearing on the larger MCU the enthusiasm from fans just wasn't there, I don't think it had that much to do with the Disney+ release.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    We’ve been enjoying The White Lotus and Frayed, both on HBO. White Lotus is new and about a group of wealthy visitors at an exclusive Hawaiian resort over the course of a week. Great cast.
    Thanks - I just renewed my HBO streaming subscription in anticipation of the new Succession season so I’ll check it out.

Incidentally, my wife and I really enjoyed Mare of East Town on HBO. Kare Winslet is awesome as usual. Mildred Pierce is another really good HBO limited series that features Kate.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    Thanks - I just renewed my HBO streaming subscription in anticipation of the new Succession season so I’ll check it out.

Incidentally, my wife and I really enjoyed Mare of East Town on HBO. Kare Winslet is awesome as usual. Mildred Pierce is another really good HBO limited series that features Kate.
    Succession is coming back?!?! I didn’t know that. Oh man, who’s got two thumbs and feels like the number one boy right now?!?

I was planning to watch Mare of Eastown, but then Mindy Kaling posted a huge spoiler on Twitter (argh!). Is it still worth watching?

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    I was planning to watch Mare of Eastown, but then Mindy Kaling posted a huge spoiler on Twitter (argh!). Is it still worth watching?
    Yes definitely.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    Yes definitely.
    Co-sign. I’m assuming I know what the spoiler is but I still think the KW performance is worth the watch. The performances and portrayal of the community dynamics is what elevated the show to begin with. I mean, every other show on TV is a murder mystery so a good one has to have something else going for it.

We continue to enjoy Frayed on HBO. It’s had some of the funniest moments I’ve seen on TV in the last few years. It takes place in 1980s Australia and draws heavily from that time/place but is still very accessible even without the cultural references.

Perhaps the funniest movie of the year, I suggest all of you check out The Suicide Squad. Here's my 100-word review: https://flixchat.blogspot.com/2021/0...s-suicide.html

Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Has anyone watched Britannia on Prime? I watched season 1 two years ago, and was thinking maybe they'd cancelled it. Thankfully that wasn't the case; in fact they are filming season 3, they are just really slow. Season 2 was done in 2019, but as far as I can tell it was only just released.

Anywho, the setting is the Roman invasion of Britain, and their interactions with various native peoples, including the Druids. It's a combination of intense drama, mystic wizardry, and a touch of comedy. The Roman general is played excellently by David Morrissey (the Governor from TWD), and the cast is filled with several other notable actors/actresses. The Druids are spiritually led by Veran, who is played by Mackenzie Crook. He's the comedic skinny pirate in The Pirates of the Caribbean franchise, yet here he does an amazing job in a spooky dramatic role. (He plays two characters in season 2.)

If you haven't seen it, it's definitely worth a shot. I started the second season three nights ago and will finish it tonight; I can't help myself from binging it.

PS...the soundtrack is awesome. Though the setting is historical (and the filmmakers do an amazing job of recreating sets), the music throughout each episode is all modern. The theme song in season 1 is Hurdy Gurdy Man, and season 2 it's Season of the Witch, both by Donovan. The soundtrack alone makes it worth watching.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

We got in to The Marvelous Mrs. Maisal last year. It’s on Amazon Prime. It is hilarious. There are three seasons, it originally came out in 2017 and they are finished filming a 4th season which should drop later this Fall.

We have watched the first 4 episodes of The White Lotus on HBO, too. It is good but very quirky at times.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    We got in to The Marvelous Mrs. Maisal last year. It’s on Amazon Prime. It is hilarious. There are three seasons, it originally came out in 2017 and they are finished filming a 4th season which should drop later this Fall.

We have watched the first 4 episodes of The White Lotus on HBO, too. It is good but very quirky at times.
    Mrs. Maisel is great. There's no wonder that the cast cleans up during awards season. Another season that we are looking forward to is Grace & Frankie. The one they are filming now will be the finale.

Glad to hear about 4th season of Ms.M. Love that show, especially first two seasons.
    I’m also watching White Lotus. I went in with low expectations which has helped me appreciate its quirks. It has a lot of unusual & creative camera work, editing and great use of sound/music.

I'm a big Mrs. Maisel fan. A lot of it is filmed within a few blocks of my apartment - my favorite deli two blocks from my apartment closed a few years ago and it is not operating but they left all the furnishings in and use it for all the deli/diner scenes in Mrs. Maisel. Each actor/actress is great in their own way. I'm looking forward to the next season - should be great - it feels like forever since the last one.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I'm a big Mrs. Maisel fan. A lot of it is filmed within a few blocks of my apartment - my favorite deli two blocks from my apartment closed a few years ago and it is not operating but they left all the furnishings in and use it for all the deli/diner scenes in Mrs. Maisel. Each actor/actress is great in their own way. I'm looking forward to the next season - should be great - it feels like forever since the last one.
    It is a fantastic show, indeed. I was raised Methodist in a rural county outside Richmond, Virginia and married into a Jewish family. My wife and her two sisters could play Midge any day of the week and twice on Sunday and Midge’s parents are absolutely hysterical. My mother-in-law’s mannerisms and habits now make a lot more sense after watching the show . It is absolutely hysterical. I think Susie is among the funniest.

The Ice Road is a very silly movie.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Think they also occasionally filmed in my little neighborhood here, Forest Hills Gardens.

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    Think they also occasionally filmed in my little neighborhood here, Forest Hills Gardens.
    I think so too, when they featured the in-laws house.

Count me in on the Maisal group. Absolutely love the show and although it takes place before my time, the summer at the Catskills was dead on. As a kid, my family used to go every year during winter break to the Nevele or Grossingers and a lot of what I remember (even though it was decades later) was as captured in the show.

A little history of the Borscht Belt for those who may be interested - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borscht_Belt

I'm currently thoroughly enjoying a French show called "Call My Agent" on Netflix. It's subtitled and they speak very fast so you have to get used to some speed reading, but it's well done and the characters are multi-dimensional and very well acted. It's about a talent agency in France, half about dealing with challenging celebrity clients and half about their interpersonal relationships. Highly recommend.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016