Page 19 of 54 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    Nakeie Montgomery's Football Stats (High School)
    https://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/nak...ball/stats.htm
    One season of varsity football at Episcopal School of Dallas. Ran for 88 yards on 7 carries in 2 games. Also 4 receptions for 21 yards. 1 TD.
    One run of 97 yards... so the other 6 runs netted -9 yards. Clearly he only scratched the surface so there are many unknowns.
    What are the chances that he sees the field this year? (In a game other than vs NCCU.) There's no questioning his athletic ability, but that doesn't mean that he can run the ball effectively while being hit by 300 pound defenders without dropping it.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    What are the chances that he sees the field this year? (In a game other than vs NCCU.) There's no questioning his athletic ability, but that doesn't mean that he can run the ball effectively while being hit by 300 pound defenders without dropping it.
    It takes leather balls to play rugby. Oh, wait, he plays lacrosse. Close enough
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Unfortunately, a local talent by me has just chosen unc over Michigan, Oregon, Texas and Wisconsin. 4-star LB that is probably the most recruited player in the history of the high school he attends. Blech! He actually only has played 10 varsity games in his entire career given this season was shortened by COVID (only 6 total games this year in the spring), but apparently, teams were impressed by his athleticism and speed shown in a summer camp before his sophomore year. Rising senior. Not that I want this thread to be about unc, but found it interesting (and unfortunate) as I came across it.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    My guess is that he’s most likely to contribute as a kick returner. There used to be clips on YouTube (sadly, the seem to have disappeared) of him returning punts for ESD. He showed good ability to find seams and spectacular acceleration once he found them.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    My guess is that he’s most likely to contribute as a kick returner. There used to be clips on YouTube (sadly, the seem to have disappeared) of him returning punts for ESD. He showed good ability to find seams and spectacular acceleration once he found them.
    That makes sense. The shiftiness required in lax would seem to translate well to kick returns, especially when coupled with high-end speed.

Quote Originally Posted by luvdahops View Post
    That makes sense. The shiftiness required in lax would seem to translate well to kick returns, especially when coupled with high-end speed.
    Will he be allowed to carry the ball using lacrosse stick? If not, we need to work on his “not fumbling”skills.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Will he be allowed to carry the ball using lacrosse stick? If not, we need to work on his “not fumbling”skills.
    Maybe we should have him return punts. I've been conditioned to have a minor panic attack every time we receive a punt anyway so I'm already prepared for the uncertainty.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Maybe we should have him return punts. I've been conditioned to have a minor panic attack every time we receive a punt anyway so I'm already prepared for the uncertainty.
    good news is that we generally don't force teams to punt very often.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Hopefully, Josh Blackwell is healthy and available to return punts. Blackwell has gained 142 yards on 13 returns (10.92 avg). His best punt return skill is great hands.

https://goduke.com/sports/football/r...lackwell/17130

His cornerback duties might preclude his availability for punt return duties.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    good news is that we generally don't force teams to punt very often.
    😀😀😀 and I thought I was cynical.

Ross Cockrell recently earned a Super Bowl Ring. His sister just qualified for the 400m hurdles finals in the Olympics. What an amazing family. I would love to see Ross come back as a coach once his playing days are over.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    No Injuries Please!!!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Anyone heard any rumblings of restrictions for fans due to current surge ?? A friend lives in Durham and heard talk at the Y ??

Quote Originally Posted by du_bb1 View Post
    Anyone heard any rumblings of restrictions for fans due to current surge ?? A friend lives in Durham and heard talk at the Y ??
    I would think that absolutely everything with regard to attendance right now is TBD...who can say what Sept 11 (first home game) will look like?

GoDuke has interviews w/ Cut, Josh Blackwell and Eli Pancol after our first day of practice.

https://goduke.com/news/2021/8/5/foo...ason-camp.aspx
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Not sure if it’s a repeat, but ACC Network is airing a Duke Football show for an hour right now.

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    GoDuke has interviews w/ Cut, Josh Blackwell and Eli Pancol after our first day of practice.

https://goduke.com/news/2021/8/5/foo...ason-camp.aspx
    These Q & A sessions are always frustrating because you cannot hear the questions. At the beginning, a question is asked about Graham Barton moving to tackle due to Jack Wohlabaugh being back at center. I believe, but am not certain, the person asking the question specifically said left tackle.

For anyone who was present at the press conference...paging Jim Sumner...please confirm Graham Barton is the projected starter at left tackle.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Avvocato View Post
    Not sure if it’s a repeat, but ACC Network is airing a Duke Football show for an hour right now.
    It is indeed new! Thanks for the heads up, I had no idea about this. For anyone else who missed the start, looks like it will air again at 8:00 (but check your listings, don't just take my word for it!).

Additional content alert: last year's Syracuse game is on. One of the few (er...couple) bright spots from last year.