Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Olympics 2021 -- Competition and Results

Not much to report about day one -- the U.S. failed to medal for the first time in, well, forever:

Team USA ended day one of the 2020 Tokyo Olympics without a medal in the Summer Games for the first time since 1972.

The Americans competed in five of the seven events on Saturday. In the first medal event, China’s Yang Qian took the women’s 10m air rifle final gold, while Team USA competitor and event favorite Mary Tucker finished sixth.

World No. 1 Brady Ellison and teammate Mackenzie Brown, competing in the archery mixed team event, were eliminated after losing to Indonesia 5-4 in the first round.
    I was pleased to watch Kara Lawson's three-on-three team dismantle highly regarded France.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

I watched the end of the archery event. Not good when a 2nd seed loses to a 15th seed! i am sure there will is a small but real “home continent” advantage for the Asian countries. I don’t know how competitive US and China are expected to be in total medal counts in these games but the location will favor them. Just like it has favored (and will favor) us when held in the Americas.

Btw, the opening ceremony drone display was outstanding!! I know it’s been done before- but last nights display was an 11!

I even enjoyed the overly long “Olympic sports icons” re-creation skit. It had some clever/cute moments. The performers seemed to be struggling though by the time they reached the final triple symbol.

Enjoyed the jazz pianist as well. She might have been pushing the facial acting too much but hell, she was clearly having fun and loving the attention!

They did well considering no crowd, dealing with covid and all.

Badminton is WAY more entertaining than you might think.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Badminton is WAY more entertaining than you might think.
    Is the horse prancing over yet?

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Is the horse prancing over yet?
    Do the horses hit a shuttlecock at 205mph?

Do the horses hit a shuttlecock at 205mph?
    The good ones do, sure.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    The good ones do, sure.
    I'd watch that!

Jon Rahm & Bryson DeChambeau out with COVID. Patrick Reed replaces BAD. From BAD to worse.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Jon Rahm & Bryson DeChambeau out with COVID. Patrick Reed replaces BAD. From BAD to worse.
    How long have you been keeping that one in your pocket, waiting for the perfect opportunity, knowing it may never come?

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    How long have you been keeping that one in your pocket, waiting for the perfect opportunity, knowing it may never come?
    Put it this way: Longer than it takes our newest Olympian to announce, pick up, and palm an allegedly embedded ball ……
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

I watched men’s volleyball team dominate France yesterday. Women’s 3 x 3 basketball against Russia is on now. Game is tied.
    Bob Green

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    I am once again on "India Watch". I forget exactly when but it might have been London in 2012, I watched the Opening Ceremony and marveled at how a country of more than a billion people could send so few athletes to the Olympics. I looked up how many medals India had won all time and realized that no Indian woman has ever won a gold medal. They have 28 total medals, all in the Summer Olympics, with 7 of their 9 total golds coming in men's field hockey where they were the dominant team of the mid 20th century. I have since become an enormous fan of Indian athletes, particularly Indian women, at the Olympics. They have already won a silver, in women's shooting. SO CLOSE!! I'm following P. V. Sindhu and hoping she can improve on her badminton silver in Rio with gold this time. She's won her first match. Go P. V.!!!

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Also, why are we only now getting 3x3 basketball? It's awesome. I haven't checked yet because I don't want to be disappointed but I really, really, really hope my new favorite event in track and field has been added to the Olympics - the 4x400 mixed relay where each country runs 2 males and 2 females.

I loved the Tunisian swimmer getting the gold yesterday. Loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    I am once again on "India Watch". I forget exactly when but it might have been London in 2012, I watched the Opening Ceremony and marveled at how a country of more than a billion people could send so few athletes to the Olympics. I looked up how many medals India had won all time and realized that no Indian woman has ever won a gold medal. They have 28 total medals, all in the Summer Olympics, with 7 of their 9 total golds coming in men's field hockey where they were the dominant team of the mid 20th century. I have since become an enormous fan of Indian athletes, particularly Indian women, at the Olympics. They have already won a silver, in women's shooting. SO CLOSE!! I'm following P. V. Sindhu and hoping she can improve on her badminton silver in Rio with gold this time. She's won her first match. Go P. V.!!!
    Indian Summer Olympic teams make more sense than Jamaican bobsleds, that's for sure.

aren't they the Guardians now?

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    aren't they the Guardians now?
    I cant spork.

I cant spork.
    I did. That was genius.

They need to have Rowdy Gaines call the fencing competitions. I nearly fell asleep as the US won gold. Just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    They need to have Rowdy Gaines call the fencing competitions. I nearly fell asleep as the US won gold. Just sayin'.
    Agree about the announcers, but my son did fencing for a short while, and I can assure you that the fencing itself was really awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    So happy for her!!!!!! USA! USA!