Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

A trip to Jamaica?

Hey all!

So we were planning a trip, and the wife was looking at an all inclusive, I think called Beaches, in Jamaica.

But my father in law was very upset, because he was convinced Jamaica is super dangerous.

We were not planning on leaving the resort.

Anyone here have any experience with the island who can give any advice?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    Hey all!

So we were planning a trip, and the wife was looking at an all inclusive, I think called Beaches, in Jamaica.

But my father in law was very upset, because he was convinced Jamaica is super dangerous.

Thanks!
    Your wife’s name isn’t Stella, is it?

To each his or her own, but my wife and I choose to not stay in locales where the grounds are (have to be?) patrolled by guards with assault rifles. (I know a lot of people who have enjoyed Jamaica, some not so much).

Have a great trip! And stay on the property.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Your wife’s name isn’t Stella, is it?
    No…?

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    To each his or her own, but my wife and I choose to not stay in locales where the grounds are (have to be?) patrolled by guards with assault rifles. (I know a lot of people who have enjoyed Jamaica, some not so much).

That doesn’t sound promising…

Grand Cayman is nice and just as easy to get to.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

No…?
    You’ll be fine. Taye Diggs’ are the biggest dangers in Jamaica.

Hey all!

Thanks!
    State Department has advisories for the entire island country due to COVID and, due to crime, to the following areas of Montego Bay:
    Montego Bay

Violence and shootings occur regularly in some areas of Montego Bay. Do not travel to the following areas:

Canterbury
    Clavers Street
    Flankers
    Hart Street
    Norwood
    Rose Heights
    Make your own judgment. We have had two wonderful visits to Mexico in recent years (Mex. City and Oaxaca), and it is a country with lots of crime problems -- but certain regions and areas are OK.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Hey all!

Thanks!
    You will be fine. I - admittedly quite stupidly - went to Jamaica over this past New Years. Airport to van to resort… stay there for a week …. Resort to van to airport.

It’s super safe.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    State Department has advisories for the entire island country due to COVID and, due to crime, to the following areas of Montego Bay:

Make your own judgment. We have had two wonderful visits to Mexico in recent years (Mex. City and Oaxaca), and it is a country with lots of crime problems -- but certain regions and areas are OK.
    The State Department has travel to Jamaica at Level 3 - Reconsider Travel.

That said, try reading foreign countries' travel advisories about coming to the United States. I wouldn't want to travel here and I live here!

We did the all-inclusive resort in Ocho Ríos about 5 years ago. Flew into Montego Bay & took the shuttle. Loved it.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Been to Jamaica twice (Sandals Ocho Rios and Dunn’s River) but it’s been awhile (mid 90s). Leaving the resort on our own wasn't fun. We didn’t feel endangered as much as depressed. Really poor people trying to make a few bucks off tourist. We bought a bunch crap we didn’t want and left it in our suit when we left both times. I like Reggae and Red Stripe but was dying for a Budweiser and some Tom Petty as soon as we landed. I’ve improved my beer taste since. I’d hate to be trashed on the yum beer thread. That said we had a blast both time hanging out at the resort and doing the various excursions. The Bahamas and Cancun were much better for exploring on your own tho.

I've been to Jamaica a few times and took my kids to Beaches Resort in Negril a number of years ago. We had a great time and I agree with the others that Jamaica isn't the type of place where you can leave the property and do excursions, like parts of Mexico (Playa del Carmen) or Costa Rica (which is overall a fantastic country with educated and friendly people who love tourists). But a Jamaica trip is less costly, I believe. That being said, Negril has amazing beaches, the water is clear and beautiful, and the resort caters to and is wonderful for kids and families. Plus you get to wake up to Blue Mountain coffee, which is some of the best in the world and cannot be recreated by taking the beans home. I'm sure it has to do with the water.

My one complaint about Jamaica (other than not being able to leave the property) is that the locals do find a way to access the property and "bother" the guests by trying to sell stuff, mostly by walking down the beach or coming in boats onto the beach. It's not uncommon to see Rasta men walking down the beach selling beads, seashells, water activities, and of course marijuana (which, before legalization, was some of the best in the world). The sound of someone calling in a Jamaican accent, "parasailing, jet skis," on the beach, throughout the day, still rings in my ears and has been a family joke ever since.

Edit: You will also never hear as much Bob Marley music or drink as much Red Stripe in your life.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I've been to Jamaica a few times and took my kids to Beaches Resort in Negril a number of years ago. We had a great time and I agree with the others that Jamaica isn't the type of place where you can leave the property and do excursions, like parts of Mexico (Playa del Carmen) or Costa Rica (which is overall a fantastic country with educated and friendly people who love tourists). But a Jamaica trip is less costly, I believe. That being said, Negril has amazing beaches, the water is clear and beautiful, and the resort caters to and is wonderful for kids and families. Plus you get to wake up to Blue Mountain coffee, which is some of the best in the world and cannot be recreated by taking the beans home. I'm sure it has to do with the water.

My one complaint about Jamaica (other than not being able to leave the property) is that the locals do find a way to access the property and "bother" the guests by trying to sell stuff, mostly by walking down the beach or coming in boats onto the beach. It's not uncommon to see Rasta men walking down the beach selling beads, seashells, water activities, and of course marijuana (which, before legalization, was some of the best in the world). The sound of someone calling in a Jamaican accent, "parasailing, jet skis," on the beach, throughout the day, still rings in my ears and has been a family joke ever since.

Edit: You will also never hear as much Bob Marley music or drink as much Red Stripe in your life.
    Negril Beach, you say? When my daughter was a senior at Duke in the 1990's, she told me she was planning a spring break to Jamaica. "Where," I asked? "Negril Beach." "Do you know anything about it?" "Not really." So, I grabbed a handy tourist guide,d looked up Negril Beach and read the opening sentence -- "Negril Beach is the marijuana capital of the Caribbean." Not just Jamaica.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Negril Beach, you say? When my daughter was a senior at Duke in the 1990's, she told me she was planning a spring break to Jamaica. "Where," I asked? "Negril Beach." "Do you know anything about it?" "Not really." So, I grabbed a handy tourist guide,d looked up Negril Beach and read the opening sentence -- "Negril Beach is the marijuana capital of the Caribbean." Not just Jamaica.
    As a young, single man in the 90’s, a buddy and I spent a week in Hedonism, also in Negril. Unfortunately those stories are not PG rated and can’t be shared here, but suffice it to say it lived up to its reputation.

We were also bold (and stupid) enough to go off property with a “guide” on mopeds. Turns out he was looking for someone to help import his home grown marijuana to the US. He brought us to his house in which we tested the wares with a blunt the size of which would make Cheech and Chong proud. His immediate stash filled a large, contractor size, black garbage bag. Riding the moped home after that was not a good idea. It’s amazing to think back on my poor decisions as a young man.

Edit: we also stopped at a roadside BBQ (literally a Rasta man with a grill) and had the best jerk chicken I had, and will ever have, in my life!

As a young, single man in the 90’s, a buddy and I spent a week in Hedonism, also in Negril. Unfortunately those stories are not PG rated and can’t be shared here, but suffice it to say it lived up to its reputation.

We were also bold (and stupid) enough to go off property with a “guide” on mopeds. Turns out he was looking for someone to help import his home grown marijuana to the US. He brought us to his house in which we tested the wares with a blunt the size of which would make Cheech and Chong proud. His immediate stash filled a large, contractor size, black garbage bag. Riding the moped home after that was not a good idea. It’s amazing to think back on my poor decisions as a young man.

Edit: we also stopped at a roadside BBQ (literally a Rasta man with a grill) and had the best jerk chicken I had, and will ever have, in my life!
    I’m not sure the it was the jerk chicken alone that is impossible to replicate. I once ate a whole bag of danish wedding cookies with a vanilla milkshake, under similar circumstances, and would have sworn it was the best meal ever prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    I’m not sure the it was the jerk chicken alone that is impossible to replicate. I once ate a whole bag of danish wedding cookies with a vanilla milkshake, under similar circumstances, and would have sworn it was the best meal ever prepared.
    Similar syndrome as those big jars of horrific pickled polish sausages and pickled eggs in bars which somehow look edible after midnight.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Similar syndrome as those big jars of horrific pickled polish sausages and pickled eggs in bars which somehow look edible after midnight.
    When you wake up and see an empty sack from Krystals lying nearby, you know it’s gonna be a rough morning.

Did you import it?