Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Cleveland Guardians

The new name feels like a miss. Thoughts?

Your move, Chicago Blackhawks, Atlanta Braves, etc …

As long as we’re talking about it, the tomahawk chop at FSU and at Braves games … “uhhhhhhhhh - uh - uh - uhhhhohhhhhhhh” *arm gyration waving up and down like a tomahawk* is likely in the mix for something that needs to be retired next if we’re retiring offensive Native American sports mocking customs/names.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    The new name sounds like it belongs to a USFL team.

Maybe they all do, at first.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Your move, Chicago Blackhawks, Atlanta Braves, etc …

As long as we’re talking about it, the tomahawk chop at FSU and at Braves games … “uhhhhhhhhh - uh - uh - uhhhhohhhhhhhh” *arm gyration waving up and down like a tomahawk* is likely in the mix for something that needs to be retired next if we’re retiring offensive Native American sports mocking customs/names.
    I feel like "generic" names as more on the chopping block than specific tribes. Of course, the caricature of the Cleveland Indians mascot wasn't helping the case although Cleveland had moved away from it. Although the Fighting Irish also have a caricature logo that they use frequently (and a live mascot at games too)...The Washington football team used a clearly derogatory term, so that one was more anomalous. I know that for example, the Seminole tribe in Florida is okay with FSU. It does seem these schools again have moved away from having "live mascots" for Native Americans though. For example, Illinois no longer does Chief Illiniwek (back in 2007).

And the Blackhawks are actually named after an INDIVIDUAL, not a tribe. It's for Black Hawk and the org say the name honors his legacy.

So, suffice it so say, it's a "mixed bag."

Not just sports teams. The poor maiden, Mia, that used to adorn the Land O Lakes Butter containers was removed last year. Sigh... I kinda had a crush on her as a kid. LOL

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart...ons-180974760/

Derivation

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/23/clev...guardians.html

The name Guardians is a reference to well-known art deco statues located on the Lorain-Carnegie Bridge, which spans the Cuyahoga River and connects downtown Cleveland to the city’s trendy Ohio City neighborhood. Those statues are known as the “Guardians of Traffic.”
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    What position does Groot play?
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    Not just sports teams. The poor maiden, Mia, that used to adorn the Land O Lakes Butter containers was removed last year. Sigh... I kinda had a crush on her as a kid. LOL

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart...ons-180974760/
    Did you do the box fold where you brought her knees up to replace the box she's holding? Lots of time as a kid giggling over that.
    Rich

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    What position does Groot play?
    I am Groot.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    You expected better? It is the Mistake on the Lake.

I can say that. I grew up in a town that was literally halfway between Pittsburgh and Cleveland, and half the town was Steelers/Pirates fans and half was Browns/Indians fans. Guess which side I was on.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Did you do the box fold where you brought her knees up to replace the box she's holding? Lots of time as a kid giggling over that.
    Somehow that one escaped me as a kid. But now that you say it... LOL

Just my opinion but I think Guardians is lame. They should have paid homage to the original Cleveland baseball name which was the Spiders. Could have made for some cool merchandise, uniforms etc. To me this was the obvious choice but what do I know?
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    Just my opinion but I think Guardians is lame. They should have paid homage to the original Cleveland baseball name which was the Spiders. Could have made for some cool merchandise, uniforms etc. To me this was the obvious choice but what do I know?
    But then the SAA would have been upset.

Should have been the Cleveland Rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    I feel like "generic" names as more on the chopping block than specific tribes. Of course, the caricature of the Cleveland Indians mascot wasn't helping the case although Cleveland had moved away from it. Although the Fighting Irish also have a caricature logo that they use frequently (and a live mascot at games too)...The Washington football team used a clearly derogatory term, so that one was more anomalous. I know that for example, the Seminole tribe in Florida is okay with FSU. It does seem these schools again have moved away from having "live mascots" for Native Americans though. For example, Illinois no longer does Chief Illiniwek (back in 2007).

And the Blackhawks are actually named after an INDIVIDUAL, not a tribe. It's for Black Hawk and the org say the name honors his legacy.

So, suffice it so say, it's a "mixed bag."
    Re: Blackhawks

Suzan Shown Harjo (Cheyenne and Hodulgee Muscogee), who was awarded the US Presidential Medal of Freedom for decades of American Indian advocacy and is President of the Morning Star Institute, says the Blackhawks have escaped the scrutiny given to other teams using Native imagery because hockey is not a cultural force on the level of football. American Indian organizations have called for an end to all Indian-related mascots and that she found the hockey team's name and Indian head symbol to be offensive. "It lacks dignity," she said. "There's dignity in a school being named after a person or a people. There's dignity in a health clinic or hospital. There's nothing dignified in something being so named (that is used for) recreation or entertainment or fun." The National Congress of American Indians also opposes the Blackhawks' logo, as it does all Native American mascots. In 2010, sports columnist Damien Cox called on the franchise to retire the "racially insensitive" logo, saying that: "Clearly, no right-thinking person would name a team after an aboriginal figure these days any more than they would use Muslims or Africans or Chinese or any ethnic group to depict a specific sporting notion."

In 2015, Mark Chipman, chairman of True North Sports & Entertainment, the owner of the NHL's Winnipeg Jets decided to ban fake Native headdresses at games after meeting with First Nations leaders. The meeting took place in response to a complaint by a Jets fan after seeing a Blackhawks fan in a headdress.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    That's a winner!

Would Drew Carey get residuals?
    Rich

Would Drew Carey get residuals?
    Or Mott the Hoople.

Or Mott the Hoople.
    I see a legal battle with The Presidents of the United States of America

Rich

I see a legal battle with The Presidents of the United States of America

I mistakenly attributed the song to Mott the Hoople; it came from Ian Hunter’s solo album and not while he was with MtH:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleveland_Rocks