Page 33 of 43 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tfk53 View Post
    New to this thread so has been fun to read what others are doing.
    , Now in my late 60s - boy, is it painful to see that in print - my goal is to keep moving and try to regain some of my past abilities, altho never very fast. Gym closure has cut down my lifting as buying a set of dumbbells has been become exceedingly expensive. Bands just not the same thing. Indoor biking has kept me going on a spin bike (non-Peloton) and now back to riding outside. The hardest is to kick my running back up. A 3:33 marathon in my mid-forties and a 2:25 Olympic Tri were my peak. Now struggling to do 2-3 miles at less than 11 min pace! Altho this weekend I did a run at that pace at 5300 feet in Boulder. So maybe there is hope to get better.
    All impressive to me. Keep the faith!

, Now in my late 60s - boy, is it painful to see that in print - my goal is to keep moving and try to regain some of my past abilities, altho never very fast. Gym closure has cut down my lifting as buying a set of dumbbells has been become exceedingly expensive. Bands just not the same thing. Indoor biking has kept me going on a spin bike (non-Peloton) and now back to riding outside. The hardest is to kick my running back up. A 3:33 marathon in my mid-forties and a 2:25 Olympic Tri were my peak. Now struggling to do 2-3 miles at less than 11 min pace! Altho this weekend I did a run at that pace at 5300 feet in Boulder. So maybe there is hope to get better.
    I agree the feeling of lifting weights is unparalleled, but I bought these as a supplement to my free weight program because I was developing some tendinitis and once you get used to them they're really good. Not too expensive and the guide book helps identify different workouts to hit different muscle groups. Maybe not the same as weights, but if you don't have access to weights it's a good alternative and shouldn't be dismissed out of hand. And even if you have access to weights, I find the bands hit muscles in a different way since they don't rely on gravity and can be used in different planes so they help diversify my program.

https://www.amazon.com/GoFit-Ultimat...87&sr=1-3&th=1
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I agree the feeling of lifting weights is unparalleled, but I bought these as a supplement to my free weight program because I was developing some tendinitis and once you get used to them they're really good. Not too expensive and the guide book helps identify different workouts to hit different muscle groups. Maybe not the same as weights, but if you don't have access to weights it's a good alternative and shouldn't be dismissed out of hand. And even if you have access to weights, I find the bands hit muscles in a different way since they don't rely on gravity and can be used in different planes so they help diversify my program.

I like bands like this to stretch for golf.

https://www.golfwrx.com/329714/6-exe...more-distance/
    ~rthomas

I am also in the second half of my 60s, and understand completely your frustration with an 11 minute pace (I never used to think that was even possible on a run). I used to run a lot, but had to give it up 20+ years ago because of back issues. During the pandemic, I started running again, with fingers crossed. At first it was awful...11-12 minute pace and my back was really suffering. However, I started doing intervals on short runs (2-3 miles) and it has made all the difference. Running faster for even very short spurts (starting with 10-20 second intervals and building up to 60 seconds or more) allowed me to build strength in my running muscles(esp. quads), which saved the wear and tear on my back. I never thought I could run again. But it’s going on 14 months and I have been running 30-40 miles a month. And I have gotten my average pace below a 10 minute mile, with my second and third miles often at a 9 minute pace. BTW, I use the peloton outdoor app, which tells me when to do the intervals and how hard to work on each, and gives good technique advice during the run. Not to mention, music.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooold View Post
    I am also in the second half of my 60s, and understand completely your frustration with an 11 minute pace (I never used to think that was even possible on a run). I used to run a lot, but had to give it up 20+ years ago because of back issues. During the pandemic, I started running again, with fingers crossed. At first it was awful...11-12 minute pace and my back was really suffering. However, I started doing intervals on short runs (2-3 miles) and it has made all the difference. Running faster for even very short spurts (starting with 10-20 second intervals and building up to 60 seconds or more) allowed me to build strength in my running muscles(esp. quads), which saved the wear and tear on my back. I never thought I could run again. But it’s going on 14 months and I have been running 30-40 miles a month. And I have gotten my average pace below a 10 minute mile, with my second and third miles often at a 9 minute pace. BTW, I use the peloton outdoor app, which tells me when to do the intervals and how hard to work on each, and gives good technique advice during the run. Not to mention, music.
    That is impressive and encouraging to hear how you have returned to running. I had done intervals in my younger days but was thinking I would need more of a base to restart intervals. Will give it a try!

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post

Appreciate the input - sounds like I need to give bands a longer trial before I give up on them.

I have been doing 500 push-ups a day 6 days a week. Started this the first week of January but it took me a bit to ramp up to 500. I am 47 years old and didn't want to hurt myself so I did 1-2 weeks at 150, 200, 300 and 400. Have been at five hundred since about mid to late February I would guess. Long-time weightlifter and in good to very good shape because of tennis, basketball and walking everyday. Before this I think the most push ups I had ever done at one time was probably 70. Now I do this in 7 sets: one set of 80 + 6 sets of 70. 15 minutes between sets. My new personal best is 110 and I have gotten through this workout in 6 sets which is an average of around 83 per set. Next goal is getting 500 in 5 sets. And I would like to hit 125ish for personal best.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    I have been doing 500 push-ups a day 6 days a week. Started this the first week of January but it took me a bit to ramp up to 500. I am 47 years old and didn't want to hurt myself so I did 1-2 weeks at 150, 200, 300 and 400. Have been at five hundred since about mid to late February I would guess. Long-time weightlifter and in good to very good shape because of tennis, basketball and walking everyday. Before this I think the most push ups I had ever done at one time was probably 70. Now I do this in 7 sets: one set of 80 + 6 sets of 70. 15 minutes between sets. My new personal best is 110 and I have gotten through this workout in 6 sets which is an average of around 83 per set. Next goal is getting 500 in 5 sets. And I would like to hit 125ish for personal best.
    You are a freak of nature.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    You are a freak of nature.
    This is absolutely incorrect. I'm just a dude. Not absolutely ripped. I have put on probably 7 or 8 lbs of upper body muscle and I have more definition, but not freakishly athletic or anything. I do manage pain well.

This is absolutely incorrect. I'm just a dude. Not absolutely ripped. I have put on probably 7 or 8 lbs of upper body muscle and I have more definition, but not freakishly athletic or anything. I do manage pain well.
    If I tried that workout I would have to manage more than pain. 😂

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    If I tried that workout I would have to manage more than pain. 😂
    There was an extended period of adjustment. I felt tight for MONTHS.

Today was the first time I really felt like I was in a rhythm since heading back to the gym. Had a terrific run and hit one of those stretches where the sensation is legitimately spiritual. Feels pretty great.

Murph

I always look forward to the traditional CrossFit Memorial Day Hero workout, Murph.

Murph
    1 mile run
    100 Pullups
    200 Pushups
    300 Squats
    1 mile run

*Partition the pullups, pushups, and squats as needed. Start and finish with a mile run. If you've got a twenty pound vest or body armor, wear it.

With my plantar fasciitis, I can’t do the run, so I did a variant of Murph, cutting the run and doing 150% of the middle section for:
    150 Pullups
    300 Pushups
    450 Squats

Basically 30 rounds of 5 pullups, 10 pushups, and 15 air squats in a 20 lb weighted vest.

Finished in 1:04:43. I was disappointed that I didn’t quite finish in under an hour, but it’s pretty hot out. Hoping that my foot will be back in top form next year for the regular version.

Anyone else out there Murphing today?
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

Had a great morning workout today, but not before arguing with myself about getting up for like 20 minutes.

Anybody got any helpful hints on how to more easily win those arguments?

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Had a great morning workout today, but not before arguing with myself about getting up for like 20 minutes.

Try using this

Clocky Alarm Clock on Wheels

https://www.amazon.com/Clocky-Rollin.../dp/B000PWLTNA
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

I am an anomaly in my house in that I wake up and hit the ground running. Everyone else here sleeps in. To me the value of getting up is my crazy workout routine is completely finished by the time they get up so it doesn't impact family time.

I am an anomaly in my house in that I wake up and hit the ground running. Everyone else here sleeps in. To me the value of getting up is my crazy workout routine is completely finished by the time they get up so it doesn't impact family time.
    That’s ordinarily my M.O. as well, but it’s hard at the very end of the school year. Hoping summer and some more open time in the mornings makes it easier.

Couple of ideas:
    • Get a cat/dog (they will meow/whine relentlessly for breakfast)
    • Move your alarm to the other side of the room
    • Set your phone alarm to every minute on the minute for 10 minutes. No matter how much you hit the snooze alarm, there is no relief
    • Put your phone alarm on a "pump up" song
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

500 pushups in four sets. Sets of 140 (new personal best), 125, 130 and 105.

500 pushups in four sets. Sets of 140 (new personal best), 125, 130 and 105.
    That's awesome. I like to do the deck of cards workout. You flip a card and do as many push ups as the card's value. It's really a very different workout each time you do it because the cards are random. It's tougher if you get low cards early and high/face cards late. With a standard deck you will do 340 pushups if you finish the deck or 380 if you count the aces as 11. You can also modify this to do 4 different exercises for each suit. I sometimes do pushups, sit ups, pull ups and air squats.

I've been using boxing a lot more for my cardio. I hate running and haven't been playing much basketball lately. I good session on the heavy bag is an excellent workout. You can also do a good job on the speed bag. I love the speed bag because it's a good workout but also clears your mind with the rhythm and concentration required. I learned how to use the speed bag while at Duke. WilRec had just opened and they had one in the weight room. There was just this incredible feeling when everyone in the gym stopped and watched when someone good on the bag started hitting it. People would gather around to watch. So one day I asked a buddy of mine to teach me and I was hooked.
    Last edited by nmduke2001; 07-23-2021 at 10:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    That's awesome. I like to do the deck of cards workout. You flip a card and do as many push ups as the card's value. It's really a very different workout each time you do it because the cards are random. It's tougher if you get low cards early and high/face cards late. With a standard deck you will do 340 pushups if you finish the deck or 380 if you count the aces as 11. You can also modify this to do 4 different exercises for each suit. I sometimes do pushups, sit ups, pull ups and air squats.

I've been using boxing a lot more for my cardio. I hate running and haven't been playing much basketball lately. I good session on the heavy bag is an excellent workout. You can also do a good job on the speed bag. I love the speed bag because it's a good workout but also clears your mind with the rhythm and concentration required. I learned how to use the speed bag while at Duke. WilRec had just opened and they had one in the weight room. There was just this incredible feeling when everyone in the gym stopped and watched when someone good on the bag started hitting it. People would gather around to watch. So one day I asked a buddy of mine to teach me and I was hooked.
    Excellent! I do a lot of heavy bag work. Boxing is a crazy good workout. Cardio disguised as strength.