Page 81 of 82 FirstFirst ... 317179808182 LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,620 of 1631
    Quote Originally Posted by 1991 duke law View Post
    Giannis (super nice guy who is humble and respectful) winning it all - the sundae.

Beating the Nets - the cherry.

Could not have played out any better. Very happy for the fine young man.
    Two things I've heard about or seen that impressed me a out Giannis.

When he was talking about staying in one spot vs joining a super team, he was about to start listing guys he could have joined up with and then caught himself, saying he didn't want to put anyone on the spot. Then, when filming the chicken nugget bit, he asked the cashier if she minded being on camera before turning it her direction.

I'm not sure reading my description does it justice, but watching him it seems like being polite and courteous just comes effortlessly, like it's a reflex for him.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Did they have clowns?
    Don't bother. They're here.

Giannis (super nice guy who is humble and respectful) winning it all - the sundae.

Beating the Nets - the cherry.

Could not have played out any better. Very happy for the fine young man.
    Yes, yes, and yes!

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Two things I've heard about or seen that impressed me a out Giannis.

When he was talking about staying in one spot vs joining a super team, he was about to start listing guys he could have joined up with and then caught himself, saying he didn't want to put anyone on the spot. Then, when filming the chicken nugget bit, he asked the cashier if she minded being on camera before turning it her direction.

I'm not sure reading my description does it justice, but watching him it seems like being polite and courteous just comes effortlessly, like it's a reflex for him.
    I’m liking this guy more and more as time goes on. Gosh, I wish he were a Celtic.☘️

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    I’m liking this guy more and more as time goes on. Gosh, I wish he were a Celtic.☘️
    If you haven't watched the "humility speech", you should:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qLchg4xkOY

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Don't bother. They're here.
    If you remember that song you're old.

I remember that song from college.

I'm old.

Quote Originally Posted by phaedrus View Post
    If you haven't watched the "humility speech", you should:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qLchg4xkOY
    Definitely gives me a new perspective on him. He does seem like a nice, humble guy on the microphone. Thumbs up.

And all the joy about the Bucks beating the “Super team” Nets is understandable as well. But with that joy I do get the distinct impression that for some people a part of the celebration is because Kyrie was on the Nets, not in spite of him being on the Nets. That part bums me out on a Duke site. I will continue to think that’s a shame. I’ll always root for an NBA team that has a former Dukie on the roster. It just seems counterintuitive not do that if you are a fan of the school. But to each his own.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    Definitely gives me a new perspective on him. He does seem like a nice, humble guy on the microphone. Thumbs up.

And all the joy about the Bucks beating the “Super team” Nets is understandable as well. But with that joy I do get the distinct impression that for some people a part of the celebration is because Kyrie was on the Nets, not in spite of him being on the Nets. That part bums me out on a Duke site. I will continue to think that’s a shame. I’ll always root for an NBA team that has a former Dukie on the roster. It just seems counterintuitive not do that if you are a fan of the school. But to each his own.
    I think you're reading too much into it, there aren't that​ many Kyrie haters on this board. I can't pull for the Nets as long as Harden is there, Dukies or no.

I think you're reading too much into it, there aren't that​ many Kyrie haters on this board. I can't pull for the Nets as long as Harden is there, Dukies or no.
    I started out pulling for the Nets over the Bucks, but as the series went on I began to prefer Milwaukee. Maybe it’s because Kyrie was out with injury; I’m not sure.

I really enjoyed watching Durant, as always, but the rest of the Nets (excluding Kyrie) were just boring and uninspiring. Harden looked out of shape and ineffective while Joe Harris was just plain god-awful.

Considering I did not have a strong allegiance to the Nets, it wasn’t difficult to start to root for Milwaukee as the series played out.
    Last edited by Steven43; 07-22-2021 at 04:11 PM.

Perhaps I’m overestimating the Kyrie hate here. I hope so. AFWIW, I can fully understand not liking the Nets because of Harden.

Not even if JJ signs with them?

For the record I don't care for Harden either.

Quote Originally Posted by wsb3 View Post

I’ve yet to come across a fan who genuinely likes James Harden. I’m guessing they’re out there, but I’m not sure where.

Quote Originally Posted by wsb3 View Post

If the Nets sign JJ and there are still folk that actively root against them, I suggest they turn in their Official Duke Fandom cards. I mean come on. Every Duke fan wants to see JJ get a ring.

If the Nets sign JJ and there are still folk that actively root against them, I suggest they turn in their Official Duke Fandom cards. I mean come on. Every Duke fan wants to see JJ get a ring.
    Who would you root for if the Nets were playing the Boston Celtics ☘️ in the conference finals?

That’s an easy one for me; I wouldn’t care how many former Duke players were on the Nets roster. ☘️

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Who would you root for if the Nets were playing the Boston Celtics in the conference finals?
    Tatum still has time to get his. I’d have to root for JJ, who’s at the end of his career. And I’m an old time Celtics’ fan (came of age at the end of the Cowens/beginning of the Bird era).

I would probably have to pull for the Nets if JJ was there, but only because he doesn't yet have a ring, he's close to retirement, and he is among my favorite Duke players of all time (I've always liked Kyrie, even when he's being weird, but he just isn't quite up there with the all time Duke greats and/or champions). If any one of those three things wasn't true (ring, retirement, member of my Duke Mt Rushmore) I probably wouldn't end up pulling for them.

I would be really annoyed the entire time though.

Tatum still has time to get his. I’d have to root for JJ, who’s at the end of his career. And I’m an old time Celtics’ fan (came of age at the end of the Cowens/beginning of the Bird era).
    Don’t worry SD, I’ve got your back. I won’t tell ☘️ GM Brad Stevens, Coach Udoka, or Jayson Tatum what you’ve written here today. Your secret is safe with me. 🤫

Look, I'm not defending Chris Paul in the least. I've never been a fan because of his dirty play. But he didn't take out a Dukie with a reckless/borderline dirty play. Contrary to one person's opinion, I did watch my fair share of Bucks' games this season. I know what I'm talking about when I say they upped their physicality and chippiness to an entirely new level this season. And hey, I get it. They were on the cusp the last few years and felt they were denied by more physical teams so they go out and get Holiday (a solid trade for them) and up their defensive chops. But in the process they also got chippy and Giannis in particular got a bit too physical and reckless for my tastes. He took out Kyrie with a completely unnecessary move. And even last night he was throwing elbows into guys chins/throats and such after plays were over. Never got called for any of it, of course. But it was obvious that he made a concerted effort this season to play that way more. And with the additions of guys like Portis and Tucker, no one is going to tell me this team wasn't way more physical and chippy than in the past. No way. No how.

Chris Paul missed his window, imho. He'll never have a better shot than he did this season. I won't be crying any tears for him though. Not a fan.

I do hope next year the Nets can run it back healthy against the Bucks. I think they now have something to prove.
    The play on which Kyrie got hurt was not anything close to a dirty play on an "unnecessary move". Did he get in his landing space, yes. But he was looking at the ball the whole time as the help defender going up for the rebound. Kyrie landed on his foot. Unfortunate accident but not dirty play.

The Bucks are chippy? Compared to Blake Griffin, Chris Paul and Jae Crowder. They are definitely a physical team but physical and chippy are different things in my book

Throwing elbows into chins after the plays are over from Giannis? Please bring some video proof of this.

You are entitled to your opinion. But I think the vast majority of people are going to disagree with your take on Giannis.
    Last edited by tbyers11; 07-22-2021 at 11:02 PM.
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

Quote Originally Posted by tbyers11 View Post
    The play on which Kyrie got hurt was not anything close to a dirty play on an "unnecessary move". Did he get in his landing space, yes. But he was looking at the ball the whole time as the help defender going up for the rebound. Kyrie landed on his foot. Unfortunate accident but not dirty play.

The Bucks are chippy? Compared to Blake Griffin, Chris Paul and Jae Crowder. They are definitely a physical team but physical and chippy are different things in my book

Throwing elbows into chins after the plays are over from Giannis? Please bring some video proof of this.

You are entitled to your opinion. But I think the vast majority of people are going to disagree with your take on Giannis.
    I seriously wonder at times if people who make assertions as to what is a dirty play, have played basketball. Punching someone in the testicles is a dirty play. Intentionally under cutting someone on a layup is a dirty play.

Turning ankles and having someone step on your foot is part of basketball. It is a very fast paced game and stuff happens. Nothing Giannis did constitutes a dirty play unless you take the view that he intentionally put his foot under Kyrie with the goal of hurting him. I see no basis to come to such a conclusion.

Bad luck for the Nets.

Nothing Giannis did constitutes a dirty play unless you take the view that he intentionally put his foot under Kyrie with the goal of hurting him. I see no basis to come to such a conclusion.
    While I agree there's no info yet to conclude he did it intentionally, sometimes defenders do slide the foot under a shooter intentionally, and at least one well-known name admitted it:

https://sports.yahoo.com/jalen-rose-...nba.html?a20=1

I don't think we are likely to know intent without an admission, directly or indirectly (such as to a teammate). But you can infer it to a degree based on how natural you perceive the positioning of the defender. Sticking your feet out wide is pretty standard for boxing out. But if you're not in a box-out situation, why are you doing the hokey pokey out there on the perimeter?

In this case, it was right under the basket. But ... you're not supposed to get under a guy who is in the air (as Christian Laettner how he feels about that). Anyway, it's hard to know a fellow's mind. I'm inclined to think it's unintentional, due to the fast pace of play making it likely a muscle-memory move, and his otherwise good reputation, but it's nearly a toss up.