Page 56 of 165 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866106156 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,120 of 3288
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Or, you know, kids.
    Do you think there are a lot of 12 year olds logging on to Rotten Tomatoes to leave reviews?

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Do you think there are a lot of 12 year olds logging on to Rotten Tomatoes to leave reviews?
    No but my daughter loved it when we watched it last night. It definitely wasn’t for me but just about all kid movies/shows aren’t. So if I were to log a score for this movie, I would base it off my daughters reaction since this was the target audience.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    “Please be kind: rewind”
    Ha, remember those warnings from the FBI at the beginning of the tapes, concerning copyright violations? My old acquaintance Bruce once decided he could make more money at his video store by just making copies of movies...the FBI lads who visited his store disabused him of this notion. This is the same guy who, in 1970 or so, led two Florsheim wearing FBI agents thru Gaston Begnoche's manure patch as he clutched the package of weed he had mailed himself from Asia.
    Hey, if everyone obeyed the law, those guys would have nothing to do...

I posted this in the reading thread, but wanted to share here for fans of Young Frankenstein.

I recently came across Young Frankenstein: The Story of the Making of the Film by Mel Brooks. Reading it made me search for the old Frankenstein movies. My library had a 2-disc set which included:

Frankenstein
    Bride of Frankenstein
    Son of Frankenstein
    Ghost of Frankenstein
    House of Frankenstein

I had only seen the original. I was surprised at how much Young Frankenstein literally pulled from these movies. The knockers. Igor with the horn. The blind man with first food, then drink, then cigar. But mostly the inspector with the wooden arm. I was sure Brooks and Wilder had made up the scene with the darts, where the inspector jammed them into his arm for holding while he tossed. Nope, that was actually in Son of.

Some fun trivia to spring on your friends. The first Igor was not Igor. He was Fritz.

So now I have to go back and watch Young Frankenstein AGAIN, I'm sure I'll have new appreciation for it, and pick out tidbits I missed before. I recommend searching out this DVD set of the oldies as well since there is a lot of great commentary on it.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    I posted this in the reading thread, but wanted to share here for fans of Young Frankenstein.

I recently came across Young Frankenstein: The Story of the Making of the Film by Mel Brooks. Reading it made me search for the old Frankenstein movies. My library had a 2-disc set which included:

Frankenstein
    Bride of Frankenstein
    Son of Frankenstein
    Ghost of Frankenstein
    House of Frankenstein

I had only seen the original. I was surprised at how much Young Frankenstein literally pulled from these movies. The knockers. Igor with the horn. The blind man with first food, then drink, then cigar. But mostly the inspector with the wooden arm. I was sure Brooks and Wilder had made up the scene with the darts, where the inspector jammed them into his arm for holding while he tossed. Nope, that was actually in Son of.

Some fun trivia to spring on your friends. The first Igor was not Igor. He was Fritz.

So now I have to go back and watch Young Frankenstein AGAIN, I'm sure I'll have new appreciation for it, and pick out tidbits I missed before. I recommend searching out this DVD set of the oldies as well since there is a lot of great commentary on it.
    Is the ghost of Frankenstein the doctor's ghost, or the monster's ghost? And if it's the monster's ghost, is it a bunch of ghosts? Like "Boo! I'm the ghost of the arm of Frankenstein's monster! Run away!"

(I never knew that was a movie.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Is the ghost of Frankenstein the doctor's ghost, or the monster's ghost? And if it's the monster's ghost, is it a bunch of ghosts? Like "Boo! I'm the ghost of the arm of Frankenstein's monster! Run away!"

(I never knew that was a movie.)
    The monster (yes, must specify) gets killed at the end of every movie, so they have to come up with a way of bringing him back.

'Son of' is of the doctor. A lot of Young Frankenstein came from this movie.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    A movie called "Snake Eyes: G.I. Joe Origins" is getting better reviews (50%) than M. Knight Shamalan's comeback movie, "Old" (45%)

So much for that grand return.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

A movie called "Snake Eyes: G.I. Joe Origins" is getting better reviews (50%) than M. Knight Shamalan's comeback movie, "Old" (45%)

12 year old me would have been so amped for the Snake Eyes movie. 45 year old me - meh.

Quote Originally Posted by acdevil View Post
    12 year old me would have been so amped for the Snake Eyes movie. 45 year old me - meh.
    According to reviews, 45 year old you will still enjoy it more than Old.

According to reviews, 45 year old you will still enjoy it more than Old.
    I just saw, "The Green Lantern" is streaming on Amazon Prime if anyone wants a reminder of why Marvel >>> DC

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Absolutely! Greatest comedy team of all time meets the most famous Universal ‘monster’ of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    I just saw, "The Green Lantern" is streaming on Amazon Prime if anyone wants a reminder of why Marvel >>> DC
    I read that first and thought "Why would you do that to yourself?"

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Or just watch the post credits scene from Deadpool 2 to find out how Ryan Reynolds feels about Green Lantern

I read that first and thought "Why would you do that to yourself?"
    I did watch it... Not nearly as bad as i remember, but the last super hero movie I've seen was justice league, so it's all relative.

Ehhhh, Old isn't terrible. It is bonkers and tonally all over the place, but at least it moves and holds your attention. Here is my 100-word review: https://flixchat.blogspot.com/2021/0...views-old.html

Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I may have missed the post above, but the second season of Ted Lasso has started. YES!

Alone, Season 7 (Netflix)

I got hooked pretty well. Season 7 is set around the Great Slave Lake in northern Canada, 61 degrees N latitude. The goal is $1 million for making it 100 days (apparently no one had made it that long before, let alone in these conditions), starting mid to late September I think, with minimal supplies (hunting / gathering and shelter-building required).

Contestants bring 3 main categories of items. One category includes clothing, first-aid, etc. A second category involves camera equipment - they are alone, and thus have to do all the filming themselves. This is kind of a pain because it's not just gopro on the chest harness stuff - they also have to haul a tripod around with a bigger camera, and set it up to film themselves doing just about everything. This makes for good viewing but it does slow down everything they do (you just don't see it).

The third category of things involve their choice of 10 items from a longer list. These items can be different types of hunting and fishing equipment, knives, axes, and so forth. As a hiker and backpacker, I enjoyed the mental exercise of thinking what I would choose from the list, and see if that lined up well with what the contestants chose. I think 8 of mine were the same, and later, I learned that one thing I chose but they did not, they had anyway! Turned out, the show's website currently shows the list for Season 8, which differed from that of Season 7. So the item I thought was an option, was only so for Season 8; it was a "given" for Season 7.

I'm not likely to ever be in a situation like they were, but it's still interesting to learn survival skills - what works, what does not, what's important, and so forth.

This might be the first "reality" adventure show I've ever watched. Late to the party I guess. Caveat: it's a bit overly dramatic at times but that's the editing and music. It's seriously interesting and does not seem even slightly staged.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    I got hooked pretty well. Season 7 is set around the Great Slave Lake in northern Canada, 61 degrees N latitude. The goal is $1 million for making it 100 days (apparently no one had made it that long before, let alone in these conditions), starting mid to late September I think, with minimal supplies (hunting / gathering and shelter-building required).

Contestants bring 3 main categories of items. One category includes clothing, first-aid, etc. A second category involves camera equipment - they are alone, and thus have to do all the filming themselves. This is kind of a pain because it's not just gopro on the chest harness stuff - they also have to haul a tripod around with a bigger camera, and set it up to film themselves doing just about everything. This makes for good viewing but it does slow down everything they do (you just don't see it).

The third category of things involve their choice of 10 items from a longer list. These items can be different types of hunting and fishing equipment, knives, axes, and so forth. As a hiker and backpacker, I enjoyed the mental exercise of thinking what I would choose from the list, and see if that lined up well with what the contestants chose. I think 8 of mine were the same, and later, I learned that one thing I chose but they did not, they had anyway! Turned out, the show's website currently shows the list for Season 8, which differed from that of Season 7. So the item I thought was an option, was only so for Season 8; it was a "given" for Season 7.

I'm not likely to ever be in a situation like they were, but it's still interesting to learn survival skills - what works, what does not, what's important, and so forth.

This might be the first "reality" adventure show I've ever watched. Late to the party I guess. Caveat: it's a bit overly dramatic at times but that's the editing and music. It's seriously interesting and does not seem even slightly staged.
    It’s real. Alone and Survivorman are the best shows in that genre, IMO.

Stillwater is a well-made film that just isn't very entertaining. Here are the 100 words: https://flixchat.blogspot.com/2021/0...tillwater.html

It feels like (director Tom) McCarthy could not decide if he was making a mystery like Spotlight or a character study like The Visitor.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?