Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    Just remember that, despite it all, ours is the safest era ever to be a human (and it's not close).
    Depends on the timescale you're talking about. I think 2018–2019 was very much safer than 2020–2021.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    Depends on the timescale you're talking about. I think 2018–2019 was very much safer than 2020–2021.
    Individual years fluctuate slightly, but the trend is massively positive. Even from 2000 until today, there has been a huge increase in life expectancy. Even 2020 is one of the all time great years in terms of human safety, despite being a bit worse than 2018-2019.

Individual years fluctuate slightly, but the trend is massively positive. Even from 2000 until today, there has been a huge increase in life expectancy. Even 2020 is one of the all time great years in terms of human safety, despite being a bit worse than 2018-2019.
    I totally agree. All I'm saying is, don't take that broad positive trend for granted. Duke was guaranteed a tournament appearance every year, until we weren't. Climate change and a sudden surge of anti-vaccination sentiment to mainstream opinion represent legitimate reasons to think that positive trend may not last forever – or at least not without real effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    I totally agree. All I'm saying is, don't take that broad positive trend for granted. Duke was guaranteed a tournament appearance every year, until we weren't. Climate change and a sudden surge of anti-vaccination sentiment to mainstream opinion represent legitimate reasons to think that positive trend may not last forever – or at least not without real effort.
    Both of those issues are really highlighting what happens when people ignore or actively dispute science.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Interesting timing to say that.

Overall, life expectancy in the United States fell by a year and a half, a federal report said on Wednesday, a decline largely attributed to the pandemic that has killed more than 600,000 Americans.

It was the steepest decline in the United States since World War II.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/21/u...cy-report.html
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Yeah totally consistent with what I said. Agree.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Can't it be both?

-------------

Yes, the earth is done with us. Why do you think so many billionaires are trying to build rockets to get into space? Perhaps they know something we don't.

-------------
    No, it's your imagination with the help of the news. Extreme weather has always been extreme weather. It hasn't been until just recently that you heard about all the extreme weather over the entire world. Do you think the Western states heard about the time in 2007-08 when Falls Lake (water supply for Raleigh) was at it's lowest level in history and the town was running out of water and all the green things were dying? I really doubt it.

However, now we hear about their drought and water problems most of which are driven by poor usage. I remember reading in May how bad things were getting and that the government announced they would put in water restrictions in August. Say what? Back in April, Las Vegas saw the handwriting on the wall and took the step of banning "non-functional grass" as a result of the drought...starting in 2027.

------------
    As with all things, the best advice is "follow the money".
    i was in Vegas last year - just before the pandemic - and toured the water pumping station at The Springs. Quite interesting, and the one factoid that stuck with me: Las Vegas uses less total water now than in 2003. True even though the population has grown a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Neals384 View Post
    i was in Vegas last year - just before the pandemic - and toured the water pumping station at The Springs. Quite interesting, and the one factoid that stuck with me: Las Vegas uses less total water now than in 2003. True even though the population has grown a lot.
    Indeed. People have gotten better, not worse, about how they use water in the southwest. The problem is that intensity of use goes up over time and the water supply is shrinking. Less rain and snow are falling, and the snow melts faster, reducing the total water supply delivered by the snowpack.

Drought and heat are making things worse in the southwest.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Indeed. People have gotten better, not worse, about how they use water in the southwest. The problem is that intensity of use goes up over time and the water supply is shrinking. Less rain and snow are falling, and the snow melts faster, reducing the total water supply delivered by the snowpack.

Drought and heat are making things worse in the southwest.
    Get rid of all the golf courses in the southwest, lawns where there shouldn’t be lawns, etc and the region would be doing a lot better.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    That's supposed to cheer me up?

But seriously, I do have a nine-year-old grandson and I sorta, kinda, maybe, would like to not leave him a hellscape for a legacy.
    Tell the lad the save up his Amazon coupons and maybe he can at least get halfway to Mars with Jeff's grandkids! (I got a chuckle after Bezos's post "flight" comments...thank you, lowly peasants, for enabling my wonderful billion(s) dollar amusement park ride!)

"One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    All this effort isn’t to save the planet. It’s to save mankind. The planet was fine before us and will be fine without us. Heck it will probably be better without us.
    yeah, but who's going to mow your lawn when we're all gone? Think about that!

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Tell the lad the save up his Amazon coupons and maybe he can at least get halfway to Mars with Jeff's grandkids! (I got a chuckle after Bezos's post "flight" comments...thank you, lowly peasants, for enabling my wonderful billion(s) dollar amusement park ride!)
    Like I said in my first post. Follow the money. What are the guys with lots of money trying to do...GET OFF EARTH!

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Like I said in my first post. Follow the money. What are the guys with lots of money trying to do...GET OFF EARTH!
    I hear Bezos likes ice cream cones if you ever find yourself upwind of him.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Get rid of all the golf courses in the southwest, lawns where there shouldn’t be lawns, etc and the region would be doing a lot better.
    Sure, although I believe agriculture and industry are bigger users of water. My point was that people have been improving their usage, but climate change is making the situation much worse despite some progress on that front.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Sure, although I believe agriculture and industry are bigger users of water.
    That's why I refuse to drink almond milk. Plus, I don't like it.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    Almonds don’t have nipples. There’s no such thing as almond milk as far as I’m concerned.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Almonds don’t have nipples. There’s no such thing as almond milk as far as I’m concerned.
    AlmondMilk.jpg
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Can’t spork. I stand corrected!

“Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block