Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Carolina takes a huge NIL step

UNC announces a first-of-its-kind marketing deal that will allow its athletes to use Carolina logos and brands in their NIL opportunities.

https://goheels.com/news/2021/7/20/g...-athletes.aspx
    This new program invites all of UNC's current student-athletes to join a voluntary group licensing program, which will allow them to benefit from their NIL in conjunction with UNC's official trademarks and logos.

The recent changes in the NCAA's rules regarding NIL have paved the way for this historic opportunity. As part of this groundbreaking program, current Tar Heel student-athletes will have the chance to be marketed in groups of three or more within their sport or six or more across multiple sports in cobranded licensing and marketing programs with UNC's Intellectual Property. TBG will develop licensing opportunities on behalf of the student-athletes in apparel and non-apparel categories and other co-branded sponsorships. Participation in the Group Licensing Program is voluntary and does not restrict the student-athlete's individual NIL rights, meaning they may still negotiate opportunities outside of the program.
    Want a translation?

This means you will be able to buy a UNC jersey that says "Bacot" or "Love" or "Howell" on the back and that player will get a cut of the revenues.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Want a translation?

This means you will be able to buy a UNC jersey that says "Bacot" or "Love" or "Howell" on the back and that player will get a cut of the revenues.
    It does? I gather it means more that a team can benefit, as opposed to solely one player. So if a poster is sold, the players that sign up get a cut, but individuals are still restricted. (Unless there is a jersey being printed that says "Bacot, Love, and Howell".)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Andrew Platek finna be a rich man

Quote Originally Posted by Alan_Wilson View Post
    Andrew Platek finna be a rich man
    Well then, Platek better have an absolutely HUGE family, because no one else is going to buy a Platek jersey.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    It does? I gather it means more that a team can benefit, as opposed to solely one player. So if a poster is sold, the players that sign up get a cut, but individuals are still restricted. (Unless there is a jersey being printed that says "Bacot, Love, and Howell".)
    Building on that, I could see how that could be a big benefit to the folks like Platek and other folks who wouldn't benefit as much as "the stars" of the team. And it's probably a good move to keep resentment/jealousy in check.
    The whole team (as long as you are signed up in the program) benefits. The stars will still make their $$$, but others will get a slice of the brand simply for being there. It's a smart move by Carolina and it would be if Duke follows.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

UNC announces a first-of-its-kind marketing deal that will allow its athletes to use Carolina logos and brands in their NIL opportunities.

Want a translation?

The Michigan on-campus merchandise store is now allowing customers to request a player's name to be added to a custom football jersey. A former team member is signing up current players to the licensing arrangement and players will get a portion of each jersey's sale. You can go on the "M-Den" website and there is a drop-down with players' names and positions.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sp...ch/8017958002/

Back in the day I definitely would have bought an Anthony Carter #1 jersey...
    Last edited by Gooch; 07-20-2021 at 12:26 PM. Reason: dang apostrophes
    Good people drink good beer. -Hunter S. Thompson

Building on that, I could see how that could be a big benefit to the folks like Platek and other folks who wouldn't benefit as much as "the stars" of the team. And it's probably a good move to keep resentment/jealousy in check.
    The whole team (as long as you are signed up in the program) benefits. The stars will still make their $$$, but others will get a slice of the brand simply for being there. It's a smart move by Carolina and it would be if Duke follows.

Incidentally and aside from my previous crack about Platek, he's apparently no longer part of the UNC team.

Only a matter of time before JE's DBR podcast has to shell out some cash to interview players.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan_Wilson View Post
    Incidentally and aside from my previous crack about Platek, he's apparently no longer part of the UNC team.
    Oh no. Sales of Platek jerseys are going to fall off a cliff.

I am interested in seeing how group licensing works. It's an interesting model and I think it might end up being the future for a lot of teams.

I mean, I hope it totally crashes and burns in UNC's face because they don't know how to properly run it, but that the model works. In short, I am intrigued.

Jersey sales have always represented the pinnacle of NCAA hypocrisy for me - the fact that schools could sell jerseys with a player's name and number and the player wouldn't get a dime for it even though clearly they are the one wholly responsible for the product being sold. So I'm glad to see that has changed.

While we're on the subject of giving credit where it is due, I also saw that UNC's quarterback Sam Howell has entered an agreement with TABLE, a local non-profit that provides food to the unsheltered, primarily children. I was blown away and really hope other athletes choose to leverage their platform to helping the less fortunate. Let me be clear that I absolutely hate everything about UNC from the very soul of my being, but Howell seems like a good guy.

Only a matter of time before JE's DBR podcast has to shell out some cash to interview players.
    I guess Duke can’t interfere with that either. Maybe encourage players to talk to media without pre-payment??

Want a translation?

I wonder if the revenues will be made public given that UNC is a public University.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Jersey sales have always represented the pinnacle of NCAA hypocrisy for me - the fact that schools could sell jerseys with a player's name and number and the player wouldn't get a dime for it even though clearly they are the one wholly responsible for the product being sold. So I'm glad to see that has changed.

While we're on the subject of giving credit where it is due, I also saw that UNC's quarterback Sam Howell has entered an agreement with TABLE, a local non-profit that provides food to the unsheltered, primarily children. I was blown away and really hope other athletes choose to leverage their platform to helping the less fortunate. Let me be clear that I absolutely hate everything about UNC from the very soul of my being, but Howell seems like a good guy.
    And while clearly admirable, Howell will be making a lot of money in a year.

Jersey sales have always represented the pinnacle of NCAA hypocrisy for me - the fact that schools could sell jerseys with a player's name and number ...
    I didn't think they could before? As far as I know, the only licensed jerseys have been nameless. Of course you can get one unlicensed pretty easily.

Edit..case in point, I ran into a guy wearing a nameless Duke "3" jersey the other day. I asked him which was his player. "I dunno, I just liked it."

Only the number. If you bought a jersey with the name on it that was almost certainly not a licensed product (not that it changes your point overall).

Edit: Ninja'd by CBB

Well, the A&M back that just made $10K better share it with his offensive linemen. Or, there might be a hole in the line which should have been filled by an unhappy (unpaid) blocker. QBs everywhere need to consider their left guards, too.

Talking Don't forget...

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    I wonder if the revenues will be made public given that UNC is a public University.
    ..at UNC, the ceiling is the roof

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Oh no. Sales of Platek jerseys are going to fall off a cliff.
    Even funnier.