Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Advice for a 3D printer?

Hey all!

So. I am interested in buying a 3D printer… likely a Anycubic one. But there are about six different types on Amazon, and I don’t really know the difference?

Is there anyone here with any experience in 3D printing who might be able to offer some guidance about which to look at?

My college aged kid got into it with this one.

With this description: "That's one of the most popular entry level models on the market, especially for the price. I think that'll be great for her. I don't know anything about printing on that type of build plate, as the two I've used both have a different type. But that model will have one of the largest user communities around, I'd imagine. And tons of replacement parts and printable parts.

"All you really need to get started is the printer and some filament. I'd suggest getting at least a few spools of colors she likes, and some basic ones like black/white/gray. I've tried a few brands and I think I like the stuff from eSun pretty well."

and

"I'd suggest getting some replacement nozzles, just in case. I think these are the ones for that printer.

"I ruined a nozzle very soon after getting my printer because I printed with glow in the dark filament, which apparently is extremely abrasive on the nozzle."

-jk

Thanks!

I ended up buying an Anycubic Photon Mono X…. But I don’t know anything about 3D printing, so I need to start reading!

A little late for Ash, but if anyone else is lurking along, the one -jk recommended is also the one my daughter and son-in-law got. My son-in-law is an industrial designer who does a lot of 3D design (but little computer programming). My daughter is a crafty type, a health care worker who swore she'd never learn programming, specifically NOT following in her parents' footsteps, with me being an applications developer and my better half being a mainframe systems programmer.

It turned out to be pretty easy for my daughter to setup -- I only got a couple of questions asking to define some terms. Then she told me she had ordered a Raspberry Pi so she could attach a camera and remotely control the printer, which takes a little bit of programming. The Raspberry Pi and additional camera and software is mostly to watch to make sure it doesn't run amok (which happens), then be able to stop the print without having to stay in the room with the printer for hours. But it has an additional feature, and that is the ability for me to send a file to it and print it from my house (provided I've called first to ensure that the proper filament is loaded at theirs). I spent one evening there "helping," which was mostly keeping the grandkids busy and double-checking her work. I was really impressed with her ability to put this technology together! It's not hard, at least for me. But it took quite a bit of research that she has repeatedly vowed she'd never do.

One thing she found that was really helpful was an online forum, first for the 3D printer they got from a Kickstarter deal that wound up a useless piece of junk (that we might be able to resurrect if we buy a new motherboard for it), then for the new printer. She excitedly told me about these forums of really helpful people that answered specific questions and were really a good community of knowledgeable people who seemed to know each other for years and even met together in real life. The forums clearly helped her A LOT, but she was also absolutely amazed that there is a COMMUNITY...on the INTERNET...where people ask questions and get GREAT information...WOW! Really, my dear? I had NOOOO idea!

A real question: what does one use a 3D printer for?

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    I guess the simplest answer is, a machine that creates/produces objects in 3 dimensions (as opposed to a traditional printer that producers 2-dimensional pieces of paper).

Others more expert than I may have more precise answers.

And while they’re at it, perhaps they might speculate as to answers to these questions:

1. How long before a 3D printer can produce a car?
    2. A house?
    3. Furnished house?
    4. Office building?
    5. Skyscraper?
    6. Human being?

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    I guess the simplest answer is, a machine that creates/produces objects in 3 dimensions (as opposed to a traditional printer that producers 2-dimensional pieces of paper).

And while they’re at it, perhaps they might speculate as to answers to these questions:

2. A house?
    3. Furnished house?
    4. Office building?
    5. Skyscraper?
    6. Human being?
    Regarding 6, too late, watch the documentary Weird Science.

2. A house?
    3. Furnished house?
    4. Office building?
    5. Skyscraper?
    6. Human being?
    3D printed houses are already a thing. Takes a larger printer, though.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post

-jk
    I knew I was woefully behind. Your answer led me to a quick online check, and it looks like there are plenty of options for 3D printed houses. Not sure what this means for the construction industry and related trades. Gotta mean something big, re speed, cost, number of workers.

2. A house?
    3. Furnished house?
    4. Office building?
    5. Skyscraper?
    6. Human being?
    In further regard to #6, they are making parts and pieces for surgical implant/replacement procedures, or at least they're experimenting with them. Not sure what's approved and what's still experimental!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    In further regard to #6, they are making parts and pieces for surgical implant/replacement procedures, or at least they're experimenting with them. Not sure what's approved and what's still experimental!
    This is what got Daniel Jones back on the field so quickly when he broke his collar bone. Don't know if it was approved, but it worked well for us.

As a hobby, I collect and paint little toy soldiers. 3D printers are basically a godsend for this particular hobby

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    As a hobby, I collect and paint little toy soldiers. 3D printers are basically a godsend for this particular hobby
    Do you print the soldiers or accessorize them?

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by Ggallagher View Post
    This is what got Daniel Jones back on the field so quickly when he broke his collar bone. Don't know if it was approved, but it worked well for us.
    I believe that the football players (Duke engineering students) who designed Daniel’s brace actually started a company to build these braces for other people. There was a particular application for lacrosse players—custom-fit forearm guards.

I also believe that they are using 3D printers to build certain replacement joints, like for the talus.

the Duke football players' company

Quote Originally Posted by Tooold View Post
    I believe that the football players (Duke engineering students) who designed Daniel’s brace actually started a company to build these braces for other people. There was a particular application for lacrosse players—custom-fit forearm guards.

I also believe that they are using 3D printers to build certain replacement joints, like for the talus.

Here's their company website. The future for them and the company seems unlimited.

https://www.protect3d.io/

If you have access to Apple TV+ (which we got for a year free with the purchase of an iPhone), there is a series called simply "House". One of the episodes is about a charitable organization named New Story that has the specific mission of providing housing for homeless people throughout the world. They worked with a company called ICON in Texas to 3D print houses for an entire community in Mexico, with plans to print 50 homes. The show documents some of the technical challenges in operating a 3D printer in a rural area with limitations on power supply and with weather that can change fairly drastically from moment to moment.

If you don't have access to Apple TV+, here's the website directly from New Story, and here's a version from WBUR in Boston. Good stuff.

Do you print the soldiers or accessorize them?

-jk
    I just paint them. You can print them, which is what I am trying to do now?

Where do you get the software that drives the printer to make a geer or a soldier or a house?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    I just paint them. You can print them, which is what I am trying to do now?
    Yeah, I got ahead of you. It was supposed to be plans, not doings. oops! So you want to print your figures?

-jk

Where do you get the software that drives the printer to make a geer or a soldier or a house?
    The printer comes with software, and then you can I guess download other software to manipulate the designs and everything.

And yep, the idea is to then paint some! Here are a few I painted already…. Printed by someone else. Ignore the missing heads

B9370097-C860-4C2D-9130-1E6D957F057F.jpg