Page 1 of 115 1231151101 ... LastLast
    I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell

DWBB 2021-22 Season

Season tickets are now available ($85-$135), so time to retire the old thread and start a new one for the upcoming season.

https://goduke.evenue.net/cgi-bin/nc...ller=&appCode=

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I'm really looking forward to this year. I hope that ticket sales reflect the same optimism and enthusiasm that I have. (And hopefully I'll be able to get to a game or two in person.)

I don't remember a year that I've known so little about our team, so I am looking forward to getting to know them as the season progresses.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I'm really looking forward to this year. I hope that ticket sales reflect the same optimism and enthusiasm that I have. (And hopefully I'll be able to get to a game or two in person.)

I don't remember a year that I've known so little about our team, so I am looking forward to getting to know them as the season progresses.
    I'll be in for the season, as usual, but yes, I'll have to get familiar with the players, first. I'm glad the Chronicle is running that series.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    I'll be in for the season, as usual, but yes, I'll have to get familiar with the players, first. I'm glad the Chronicle is running that series.
    Let's put the link here as well then since the other thread will fade.

https://www.dukechronicle.com/sectio...ketball/womens

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    Season tickets are now available ($85-$135), so time to retire the old thread and start a new one for the upcoming season.

https://goduke.evenue.net/cgi-bin/nc...ller=&appCode=
    Ordered my two season tickets today. There is room on the bandwagon so jump on. I also have season tics to men's basketball so I don't know how many games my wife and I will be able to attend, but I wanted to support the program. Can't wait to see what our other Coach K can do. Go Duke!
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Do we have any info on what our schedule will look like?
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

This is awesome!

Duke women’s basketball coach Kara Lawson may be away from the team right now, tending to her duties as USA Basketball’s 3X3 Team coach, but her players aren’t taking any breaks. Saturday, they even changed their game to fit their coach’s current assignment, showing up unannounced to a Red Bill 3X Basketball event in Raleigh.

Even better: They won the women’s bracket, earning a trip to the regional round later in the fall...
    Each game lasted for eight minutes, but it was a best of five series. The Blue Devils, who entered as “Duke”, won three consecutive games to win the qualifying round. There were eight-minute intermissions between games.
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/happened-...175159632.html

On the team are Goodchild, de Jesus, Green, and Volker.

I can't wait to see a lot of fans in Cameron for WBB as we once enjoyed...I know SO many disaffected WBB fans, maybe our time has come. (I think it has).

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I can't wait to see a lot of fans in Cameron for WBB as we once enjoyed...I know SO many disaffected WBB fans, maybe our time has come. (I think it has).
    Ordered our season tickets this week. Duke men’s basketball in 83-84 and 84-85 were really exciting. You could see what was developing. I’m hoping for that kind of experience with Duke women’s basketball this coming season.

This is awesome!

https://www.yahoo.com/news/happened-...175159632.html

On the team are Goodchild, de Jesus, Green, and Volker.
    Wait, so only two women's teams showed up in Raleigh? I keep waiting for Red Bull to add this tournament to FIBA's website, but they only have the men's tournament, which had 17 teams. I have often wondered what happens at these if a team turning down the prize money reaches the final. Does Red Bull pocket it or do they give it to the next finisher? Did the other team split $1375 or $3375 (or maybe even $4875) fourways for just showing up? In 2019, there was a site with only one women's team so they took volunteers from the men's tournament to double-dip and at least get them some games. If Duke had not showed up, I guess any three women in the area who showed up before the deadline with $125 could have won the $1375 by existing.

In addition to Kara, they could have gotten some tips from new staff member Aleah Goodman, who is Olympic-eligible by being the third-ranked American 3x3 woman in the world after playing a bunch of world events in 2019. For the Olympic teams, two players must be in the top ten and the other two must be in the top fifty for their countries. I hope that they make the trip up to Charlotte this Saturday and get a little bit more competition and experience there. Orlando could be a fun road trip in a few weeks and Atlanta has a tournament in September. They could also cross regions and play in Philadelphia and Washington D.C. later in July. The format actually fits Goodchild pretty well and the players that Australia has been fielding have some stylistic similarities so earning herself a few points could put her in consideration in the future. The same could be true for DeJesus as there is no limit on naturalized players in 3x3 so the Philippines could find it easier to get all of their players with foreign roots on one team in this format instead of 5x5.

Quote Originally Posted by awhom111 View Post
    Wait, so only two women's teams showed up in Raleigh?
    I've gone through the website, and can't find much info, even under "results". Where are you seeing that only Duke and one other team showed up?

https://www.redbull.com/us-en/events...ull-3x-raleigh

If true, that's some very weak planning.

The ACC is going to be a meat grinder at the top this season. Glad to see you guys are getting up to the challenge.

I've gone through the website, and can't find much info, even under "results". Where are you seeing that only Duke and one other team showed up?

https://www.redbull.com/us-en/events...ull-3x-raleigh

If true, that's some very weak planning.
    I am going off the N&O report about the format of the tournament. Two teams is the only reason that they would play a best-of-five series as a tournament is supposed to have at least three games. If they had three teams, they probably would have gone with two group stage games and have a playoff for the second spot in the final. Either way, it would be nice for Red Bull to add the tournament on FIBA's site, although I suppose it is possible that what they did still does not meet the requirements for the event to count and award the participants official ranking points.

The same four players made the trip to Charlotte and came away as winners:
    https://www.usab.com/news-events/new...ualifiers.aspx

I again hope that they will properly update this on FIBA's site that tracks official 3x3 events.

Force 10 is a sports company that owns the Seattle Storm in the WNBA. They started a pro 3x3 team two years ago and added a few more teams this year including one with the WNBA's Chicago Sky. Haley Peters joined one of the teams during the European offseason after playing well at the national championships last month and her new team won the Red Bull tournament in Chicago.

Here's some big, potentially enormous, news. Duke has made the final 5 on #2 recruit Janiah Barker's list.

https://twitter.com/tyesouthside/sta...643585/photo/1

We haven't landed someone of this stature since Elizabeth Williams. We haven't even been on any major recruit's list for few years. Fingers crossed.

2022 is already our best class since 2017 (Jade Williams/Mikayla Boykin), and we're also on other high recruits' lists, including #6 Kiki Rice.

With Kara's success in the transfer portal, this year's roster is the most talented since (at least) the Lexie/Becca days. Surprisingly, before this haul Jade was the only Duke player with any NCAA experience...21 minutes in 3 games.

Things are definitely looking up for DWBB.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Here's some big, potentially enormous, news. Duke has made the final 5 on #2 recruit Janiah Barker's list.

https://twitter.com/tyesouthside/sta...643585/photo/1

We haven't landed someone of this stature since Elizabeth Williams. We haven't even been on any major recruit's list for few years. Fingers crossed.

2022 is already our best class since 2017 (Jade Williams/Mikayla Boykin), and we're also on other high recruits' lists, including #6 Kiki Rice.

With Kara's success in the transfer portal, this year's roster is the most talented since (at least) the Lexie/Becca days. Surprisingly, before this haul Jade was the only Duke player with any NCAA experience...21 minutes in 3 games.

Things are definitely looking up for DWBB.
    South Caroline will be hard to beat for Janiah.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    South Caroline will be hard to beat for Janiah.
    maybe. if duke shows they're a program on the rise after actually playing a season, I can see players jumping aboard.
    1200. DDMF.

Part of the point is that we're even in the mix for these players. We haven't been for years.

Still gotta close.

Great job by Coach Lawson - she will make Duke relevant on the national scene faster than many of us hoped/.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Part of the point is that we're even in the mix for these players. We haven't been for years.

Still gotta close.
    I fully agree. I am confident that Coach Lawson will be an elite recruiter.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide